Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Goodbye Stevie Y

Steve Y will be heading to palm trees in Tampa next year.

I hate to see him go. Emotionally, we all wanted Stevie to be a Red Wing forever.
    That said...do we really know he can do a consistent job as a quality GM? No.
    I'm too old to watch the Wings plunge into the depths & rise again. But I'm not too old to see him return as a tried and tested GM elsewhere. ;-D
    Good luck Stevie......and thanks for everything. You more than Gordie before you, made my life as a forever Wings fan complete.
    You could turn into a drunken bum, and you would still have a place at my dinner table.

He came to us a shy kid out of BC. We literally watched him grow up in front of us and become a champion on so many fronts. I think as a fan when he first hoisted that Cup over his head, he did it for us. The second time, he handed the Cup over to his teammate Vladmir Konstantinov and we saw his humanity. He's literally been the face of this hockey club for so many years.

It's the natural evolution for him to rise up into management. He's been groomed by the best in the business with Kenny Holland & Jim Nill. He's tried his hand at managing Canada's Olympic team and has succeeded there too.

It's almost like watching your kids grow up and go off to college. We Red Wing fans here will have that "empty nest" syndrome with The Captain gone. He'll always have a home here in Detroit. We'll probably leave his room just the way he left it, full of trophies, banners, Cups and accolades that he's collected over the years. How can we not be proud of Steve Yzerman for being the epitome of class, hard work, dignity and the face of a proud organization?

We'll wish him well with his new gig in Florida and I hope he'll always know that he can come home anytime. We'll leave a candle in the window for him.

I'm sad to see him go, and I wish him the best of luck...but shouldn't we be getting a draft pick out of this? lol

I'm surprised there isn't more thoughts on Stevie Y, as this is supposed to be Hockey-Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't more thoughts on Stevie Y, as this is supposed to be Hockey-Town.
    What more is there to say? He's grown up, moved on and now manages a rival team. We understand it's a business and he really does need to move on if he wants to succeed as some form of management; it won't be here in the town he grew up in because quite frankly we have the best GM in the league in Kenny Holland. Not until he gets displaced [[heck Devallano is still lingering), the logjam at the top isn't going anywhere.

We fans still care and adore the man for his accomplishments. He'll be a Red Wing for life and if anyone disparages the man for moving on, then they're selfish and really don't care about the individual and are blinded by just the jersey and the crest on it.

Hockey-Town is only a trademarked name doen by savvy marketing. It means nothing.

Smogboy is right on.

Warroad, Minnesota was using the Hockeytown moniker way before we were. Not sure how we stole it.

And speaking of stealing, I see Stevie stole one of our scouts, Pat Verbeek. Better check the Joe to see if the skate sharpener is still there.