Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 'Detroit's Booster Class' -- Time post by Matt Guinta

U-D Mercy grad Matt Guinta talks at Time's Assignment Detroit about a Garden Bowl league that draws "an eclectic and active group of many ages."
    It's our meeting of the minds. Here we find out what's going on, who's playing where and even what bar could use a little extra patronage, in attempt to rescue from insolvency.
    . . . It is my belief that we represent a piece of Detroit's Booster Class.
    I know, I know . . . but it's worth a read here, honest.

Some folks go bowling once a week and talk. And that's worthy of DYes thread, why?

Heck, at least this has a photo of hot chic in her underwear -> http://nemecek.blogspot.com/2010/05/...o-replace.html

Default 'Why?' For this reason . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    . . . worthy of DYes thread, why?
    Regret it wasn't up your alley. Fair question deserves reply, so:
    Seemed thread-worthy as example of people who "love our city – even with the grit" and because it's on national mag's site.

Detroit boosters don't earn MSM attention attention often enough, I feel, so I posted it for anyone else who appreciates stuff like this:
    Garden Bowl and the Majestic Entertainment Complex inspires us. We boosters are proud that we bowl at something 94 years old rather than some vanilla franchise. It is as original as the neighborhood and city that it inhabits.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    U-D Mercy grad Matt Guinta talks at Time's Assignment Detroit about a Garden Bowl league that draws "an eclectic and active group of many ages."
    I know, I know . . . but it's worth a read here, honest.
    go guinta...way to rep for u of d

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Regret it wasn't up your alley. Fair question deserves reply, so:
    Seemed thread-worthy as example of people who "love our city – even with the grit" and because it's on national mag's site.

Detroit boosters don't earn MSM attention attention often enough, I feel, so I posted it for anyone else who appreciates stuff like this:
    Here's where we seem to disagree: in my opinion, in order for someone to call themselves a "booster", they need to do more than live here and go bowling.

I appreciate the fact that they do both and I'm sure the folks at the Garden Bowl appreciate free publicity from Time/CNN. It seems self-serving to claim booster status on that alone. If their weekly bowling night led to something meaningful to the city outside of the bowling alley [[e.g., mentoring kids, being active in a neighborhood watch, starting a new business, etc.) then it would be different.

It's entirely possible that these individuals do those things. However, there was nothing in that article to indicate anything beyond their own lives and careers. It was just more of the same mindless drivel that Time/CNN has been churning out since they set up shop here.

Hence, my assertion that a blog post with a photo of woman in her underwear was more worthy of a DYes thread.

http://nemecek.blogspot.com/2010/05/...o-replace.html

trumbums Guest

Here's where we seem to disagree: in my opinion, in order for someone to call themselves a "booster", they need to do more than live here and go bowling.

I appreciate the fact that they do both and I'm sure the folks at the Garden Bowl appreciate free publicity from Time/CNN. It seems self-serving to claim booster status on that alone. If their weekly bowling night led to something meaningful to the city outside of the bowling alley [[e.g., mentoring kids, being active in a neighborhood watch, starting a new business, etc.) then it would be different.

It's entirely possible that these individuals do those things. However, there was nothing in that article to indicate anything beyond their own lives and careers. It was just more of the same mindless drivel that Time/CNN has been churning out since they set up shop here.

Hence, my assertion that a blog post with a photo of woman in her underwear was more worthy of a DYes thread.

I would argue that Detroit needs more people just living here and going bowling and less "boosters". If more people just treated Detroit like a city, a home, a place they simply choose to live then the rest will be unnecessary. The industry of think groups, studies and endless talking/blogging about the issues is an economic engine of its own around here. Just live your life here and maybe help a friend discover the way too.

Quote Originally Posted by trumbums View Post
    I would argue that Detroit needs more people just living here and going bowling and less "boosters". If more people just treated Detroit like a city, a home, a place they simply choose to live then the rest will be unnecessary. The industry of think groups, studies and endless talking/blogging about the issues is an economic engine of its own around here. Just live your life here and maybe help a friend discover the way too.
    Well, I wouldn't consider any of the think groups or studies ad nauseum to be boosters either.

On the grand continuum of things, the bowlers are more relevant than any of the consultants but still aren't anywhere near as important as the folks who do things everyday in this city, such as mentoring kids, being active in a neighborhood watch, starting a business, etc. This, by the way, is why I referred to the people who do those things as boosters in my post above and not the consultants.

Is spending $175,000 for an education at UDM, spending a multitude of hours performing community service for class and social groups, patronizing a number of businesses in the university disctrict, and spreading positive vibes about the city wherever ones goes not enough for you???

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Is spending $175,000 for an education at UDM, spending a multitude of hours performing community service for class and social groups, patronizing a number of businesses in the university disctrict, and spreading positive vibes about the city wherever ones goes not enough for you???
    Enough for what?

There are hundreds of thousands of people in Detroit doing those things every day. [[Well, except for the UDM tuition part.) Other than that, there isn't anything about these bowlers that makes them different from all of the other people who make Detroit run.

Whoa...

I'm glad I don't bowl on wed.
    This guy sounds like a D-bag.