Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Kwame to the Hotel Hamtramack? Kilpatrick Gets 1.5 to 5 Years

Ex-Detroit mayor faces possible jail time
    May 25 03:16 AM US/Eastern
    By COREY WILLIAMS
    Associated Press Writer

DETROIT [[AP) - Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, sent to jail and forced to resign over racy text messages that showed he had lied under oath, has presented himself as a changed man since his release last year—someone working to repair his damaged relationship with his family and pay the $1 million in restitution he owes the city.

But his inability—or unwillingness—to tell the truth about his finances could further humble Kilpatrick and lead him back to a cell Tuesday.

Wayne County Circuit Judge David Groner will determine Kilpatrick's punishment after ruling last month that the former mayor violated his probation by failing to report all assets and failing to meet other conditions.

State Corrections officials have suggested less than a year in county jail. Defense attorneys want no jail time, saying it will hamper Kilpatrick's ability to pay the money he still owes. But prosecutors say two to five years in state prison would be appropriate.

"The defendant has continued to lie to this court about his ability to pay restitution," Prosecutor Kym Worthy wrote in a 10-page sentencing memorandum submitted to Groner on Monday. "This court cannot reward lies, deceit and fraud with more probation."

Kilpatrick pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in 2008 after sexually explicit text messages became public, showing he had lied under oath about an affair with a staff member in a whistle-blowers' lawsuit. He resigned, served 99 days in jail, agreed to give up his law license, repay the city $1 million, and stay out of politics for five years.

After he was released from jail in February 2009, he found a job as a medical software salesman with Dallas-based Covisint. Since then, he has said he is working on his marriage and trying to be a better father to his three sons. He also has been making $3,000 monthly payments to the city of Detroit, saying he hopes to repay everything he owes.

But prosecutors contend he continues to lie—that Kilpatrick could afford to give more and has intentionally hid assets.

Groner agreed, saying Kilpatrick failed to disclose $240,000 in loans from prominent businessmen. He also said Kilpatrick failed to surrender nearly $23,400 in tax refunds and a share of cash gifts from two people.

The judge signaled that some time behind bars was likely when he told Kilpatrick on April 20 to get "your affairs in order."

Wayne State University law professor Peter Henning told The Associated Press he expected Kilpatrick to get jail time, though probably less than what prosecutors requested.

"The former mayor hasn't given the judge much of an alternative," Henning said. "Once the judge found perjury, that was a sign this was going to be treated very seriously. It wasn't an oversight. It wasn't miscommunication. It was a lie."

Defense attorney Michael Alan Schwartz wrote in his filing Monday that sending Kilpatrick to jail would merely inhibit his ability to pay the restitution.

"If the defendant were left to perform his employment functions without having to be taken away from his employment and without being subjected to procedures which interfere with his employment, the full restitution should be able to be paid within the next two years," Schwartz told the judge. "Placing the defendant in jail will be of benefit to no one."

It was not clear what impact jail time would have on Kilpatrick's job at Covisint, a subsidiary of Detroit-based Compuware. Last year, Compuware Chair Peter Karmanos defended Kilpatrick's hiring but warned further trouble could mean termination. He declined to comment Monday.

As of Friday, Kilpatrick had paid $139,223 toward restitution, according to Corrections officials.

Worthy said her office will help the city collect what it is owed.

"A receiver can also be appointed to chase down assets that defendant has hidden from this court," Worthy wrote.

Plans already have been made to hold Kilpatrick in a jail in Hamtramck, an enclave of Detroit, if he's ordered locked up, Wayne County sheriff's spokeswoman Paula Bridges said.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Last edited by Meddle; May-25-10 at 03:04 AM.

Worthy wants him to do some time in the pokey. And the judge already said "have your affairs in order" the last time he was here. So the bailifs may say exit stage left on to Dickerson Detention Center in Hamtramck.

Channels 2, 4 and 7 are marking off the square feet of the cell he is suppose ot be going too. It's pretty pathetic. If he goes to the slammer restitution payments to the city end. Obviously, he never had any intention of pay and had contempt and resistance to the whole idea of being found guilty of corruption withstanding his plea deal.

Had he been smart or minimally contrite he'd have paid up front for the first two-thirds of the deal, then whine about being broke at the end! Perhaps payments would have been reduced. Instead he threw up LIVIN' LARGE excuses in the "beginning" following the lead of his self-appointed dunce counsel and other cronies...
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-25-10 at 05:49 AM.

Ravine Guest

This horse may be dead, but I'm willing to continue beating it.

I want to reiterate my wish that Kilpatrick is incarcerated. Downtown, Hamtramck, somewhere in the UP, I don't care.

I want to also re-state my disdain for the "If he's behind bars, he can't earn the money to pay the City of Detroit" song. His having been out & about hasn't led to much cash being handed over, so fuck it. I know the city wants, and deserves, the restitution, but speaking for myself, I don't even care so much about the dollars, anymore; he deserves to serve time, as any one of us would be required to serve for offenses less grievous than those perpetrated by him, and I want to see him in custody.

Jesus Christ I've written, and said, that so many times that even I'm tired of it.

They can still seize assets. Mamma and Daddy and the rest of his cohorts have plenty. That's probably where most of it went anyways to avoid discovery.

Ravine, I couldn't agree with you more. This is not just about the restitution owed.
    Kwame has not taken any of this seriously...he thought he could slip and slide through his punishment the same way he treated his duties as mayor. Lie, cheat, and steal, that's his m.o.. He deserves prison time, so he might finally understand the seriousness of his situation. Maybe when he gets out this time, he will have learned something.

Well stated DB! Kilpatrick has been consistent in his corrupt, arrogant, above-it-all approach to his sentence as he was with handling the cities affairs and resources as mayor. I think he is going to jail for a bit this time... this he will not be able to dismiss. And who are those kooks that advised him. Stupid attorney indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Ravine, I couldn't agree with you more. This is not just about the restitution owed.
    Kwame has not taken any of this seriously...he thought he could slip and slide through his punishment the same way he treated his duties as mayor. Lie, cheat, and steal, that's his m.o.. He deserves prison time, so he might finally understand the seriousness of his situation. Maybe when he gets out this time, he will have learned something.

What a nice surprise, bring your alibis.

Attachment 6192

Needs something better with the name. Hamtramifornia?

I was wondering why the Channel 4 van was up and microwaving in front of Dickerson this a.m.

9. Default

I think the local media should be taxed to pay off his restitution. After all, he has been the gift that keeps giving in their eyes.

Just push him off the top of the Book Tower and be done with it.

Michael Schwartz is a rambling, blithering idiot. Kwame is definetly scraping the bottom of the lawer barrel with those two. Judge Groner looks annoyed...

The best thing that could've happened for this community is for Kwame never to have been mayor.

Blah, Blah, Blah. he's such an asshole. oh, now "he's a new guy", and why does god and the bible always come into play. he's so full of shit.

Naughty! Though a version with a giant parachute that says "stupid" I can live with!
    Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Just push him off the top of the Book Tower and be done with it.

Roll up your pant legs, it is getting deep!!!! Do i hear violins?

He hasn't been sentenced yet, but I gotta say, I'm really loving Groner right now for the FIRST time!! This public dressing down is awesome!!!

I do believe we're finally getting from Judge Groner what we've wanted to hear all along.

The fact that Kwame still plays victim is sickening. I predict a multiple year sentence [[greater than three years).

going, going GONE groner took no shit

**disclaimer** I am not upset the man is going to jail, he did the crime he must do the time

on the other hand its sad to watch another human being unravel and self destruct...i feel a little ashamed of having watched all that

That was great. Watched live on the Freep site. Groner ripped him a new one then threw the book at him, I love this guy! Who wants to join "The David Groner Fan Club"??

five years in jaxson

^ A maximum of five years. He won't serve that much time. He already has some credit for time served.

Attachment 6193

sorry kwame, time to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I think the local media should be taxed to pay off his restitution. After all, he has been the gift that keeps giving in their eyes.
    Totally agreed. I have been supportive of their efforts to hold public officials accountable, but this morning they are BREATHLESS and almost giddy. Talking fast, breathing hard... dang!

Just got through watching the breaking news coverage. He got what he deserved. However, the city will still have to wait for its money. He may file for appeal, but it will likely be denied.

I'm surprised the man actually has supporters even after what he did.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast