Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caught tresspassing in an abandoned building

Already had my arraignment, waiting for sentencing... I got caught exploring the old Breitmeyer school by DPD. Anyone here had a trespassing ticket before? I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay...

Doing my part to financially support the city of Detroit,
    gleeadnauseam

Don't the police have anything better to do? I guess the question is how well was the building secured for the police to have a reason to arrest you?

Is it just a fine, or a mistermeaner? If its just a fine, I would just pay it and be done.

Let us know what happens, if anything.

30 days in the Wayne County Hotel Graybar sounds good.

Ravine Guest

I, as well, am curious as to the disposition of your case, Gleeseum. Please let us in on whatever happens next.

Good Luck, to you, assuming that you weren't doing anything more than just some recreational poking around.

If you were scrapping, I hope they hammer you.

Did a little more research and isn't this one of the schools they are getting ready to tear down by the end of the month?

Chuck_MI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gleeadnauseam View Post
    Already had my arraignment, waiting for sentencing.
    gleeadnauseam
    WTF? Did you plea guilty at your arraignment already? Do you know that you are allowed to change a "not guily" plea up to the date of your trial and during your trial on criminal charges? "Not guilty" is the default response at any arraignment. Or say nothing [[mute). That said, I'd say that you are probably facing no more than 93 days in jail.

Is this a troll post?

Michigan Guest

I would bet most "exploreers" when caught plea guilty out of an overwhelming sense of guilt.

I smell cockpunching

No, I wasn't scrapping or doing anything other than walking around marveling at all the decay. Quite sad actually, all the school supplies lying around in good condition that could still be used.

Yes, it was just demolished. Funny though because the building didn't seem to be in that bad of shape. Structurally, it seemed fine -but then again, I'm no architect.

It is a misdemeanor and I plead not guilty. The court appointed attorney said to plead as such and I could most likely avoid anything on my record and just pay a fine.

And yes, DPD does have more important issues to worry about, but for a cash strapped city, making money off a college graduate caught poking around buildings is a pretty good idea, right? And anyways, I knew what I was getting myself into when I entered in the first place.

Wow, I've been in dozens of abandoned buildings in Detroit and been exploring since I was 15 but never actually received a ticket so I don't know what to tell you. They must of just been pissed because the building is about to be demolished so it was actually being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I smell cockpunching
    gnome, that sounds personal. This guy is pouring his heart and fears out, and you're discussing strange fetishes.

Ravine Guest

Yeah, Gnome. Geez goddam Louise.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I smell cockpunching
    Yea, so do I. But not from him.

Anyone running around in abandoned buildings should get that slap on the wrist misdemeanor charge. It should be enforced on a regular basis, what with the budget crisis and all. Just look at it as a tax on tourists.

If the city was real smart they could promote and offer photo tours through all the abandon places....after all if your not going to tear them down then make some money from them. I can see it now....."Tour the Abandond City of Detroit.....Tickets now on Sale" I'd do it. I have photographed many from the outside, but was not willing to go inside for fear of whomever maybe inside or as gleeadnauseam found out get a ticket. Any other ideas?

With the exception of a couple traffic tickets a trespassing charge is the one spot that tarnishes my otherwise squeaky clean record . I received mine when I was 17 for being at a bonfire in an otherwise vacant farm field.
    As long a they don't accuse you of vandalism or theft, I wouldn't expect to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for the ticket. I had intended to plead not guilty when I was charged, but the half dozen people ahead of me received only a $50 fine and it just was not worth the effort.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-25-10 at 08:31 AM.

I hope you come out alright on this thing, gleeadnauseum...

18. Default

I am curious to know if the building you entered had any signs posted, such as 'no trespassing' or otherwise, on or around it or if there was any security present. Also, was it walk-in open or did you have to force entry. [<-You might want to plead the 5th in reply if the answer is other than 'open'.] Good luck in any case. This is a first, kind of like getting busted for pot in Detroit.

Retroit Guest

Good job, DPD!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Just look at it as a tax on tourists.
    LOL..... priceless!

So many times I've wanted to go "exploring", but after hearing this, I think I'll stay outside. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I am curious to know if the building you entered had any signs posted, such as 'no trespassing' or otherwise, on or around it or if there was any security present. Also, was it walk-in open or did you have to force entry. [<-You might want to plead the 5th in reply if the answer is other than 'open'.] Good luck in any case. This is a first, kind of like getting busted for pot in Detroit.
    I know a photographer who got popped at Michigan Central. Funny thing, they didn't catch him inside the property, just on that wall that runs on the west side back by the track shed. I couldn't believe they were screwing with him like that.

Turns out, it was right after they pulled another body from the depot last winter. That may have been a factor.

I got into the specifics of this on another thread. I've seen many of the schools with "No Trespassing" signs posted on a couple photo drive-bys. Although many other buildings lack such signage and are open. The police have been asked to be vigilant on DPS properties and to cite people not authorized to enter the property. So someone who did not obtain permission to enter is declared "trespasser" and can be formally charged. In other places people have been asked to leave vacant properties by authorities for safety reasons rather than anything criminal. I wouldn't say it's a matter of nice cop, mean cop, rather the type of property you've entered and the protections put to it. After all, we seem to do just fine going to stadiums, shopping malls, office and hotel lobbies, but you could still be cited for trespassing at all these places.

while this may be an insignificant offense, doesn't it put the city on the hook for millions if something were to happen to the trespasser? a slip or a fall, or a ceiling tile smashing someone's head, like what happened to omarosa? i never had the guts to go urban exploring, for fear of encountering a hostile individual, or a few locals that wanted to put a good scare into an interloper. additionally, i remember the highland township train-hoppers that were raped, beaten, and murdered in flint - started as a little adventure, and ended with kids finding themselves in an unfamiliar environment with no access to help.

i'm surprised i haven't heard more tales of misadventure with urban exploring, but then again - i wonder if folks have been threatened, beaten, mugged, or otherwise violated - and have been afraid to report what happened because of being in the wrong - or concerns about the police ignoring the "brought it on yourself" crime?

i don't take this offense as lightly as others, for the reasons mentioned. just because a city is plagued by crime doesn't mean there's a threshold for crimes that should be ignored. if you offend, and get caught: pay the price. it sounds like the original posters accepts his misdeeds. but despite the illegality of the transgression - wow, what a terrible risk to take with one's safety!

You guys are probably prime targets of the police. The city can make money with fines and you will not shoot at the officers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast