Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: hydroplanes on?

Default hydroplanes on?

Does anyone know how to find out for sure if the 2010 Gold Cup hydroplane races are running 7/9-11? I checked their website and they say yes, but they're going to have an optimisitic viewpoint. I need to know for sure as I run a charity fundraiser that day and have to get started. [[I'm not concerned about the city council's law-suit situation; the more serious problem is the loss of the Chrysler funds.) Thanks for any help or links you can provide.

Whats the charity?

I understand it's a go, at least according to everything I've seen. Some posts at the Yahoo boatracing chat room Unlimiteds On Down imply that the Regatta Association is still talking with the boat owners about payments, though. We had a similar problem in Seattle that threatened to scuttle Seafair, but the organizers and owners came to an agreement. With only 5 races this year, they damn well better hold the race.

I'm interested to see what a 3 mile Detroit River course will look like. They extend the course past The Roostertail? Sure would like to see a diagram of the revised course.

I believe they're expanding the course out closer to the Belle Isle Bridge. More like it was years ago when I was a kid. Apparently the area in the middle of the course [[known as the Scott Middle Ground), which was always shallow, has now become dangerously so and thus the course needs to be expanded to deeper water.