Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

LodgeDodger Guest

Default There ought to be a law against...

People who drive with their dogs in their laps. On my way home tonight, a woman was driving with a medium-sized dog in her lap. The dog was hanging out the driver's window. If she were to slam on the brakes, that poor dog would have been hurt. Also, it has to be a distraction to have a dog jumping around while trying to drive.

Way back in the late '70's I got a $50 ticket for having my 9 lb. terrier in my lap while driving. Bet it's still a law.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    People who drive with their dogs in their laps. On my way home tonight, a woman was driving with a medium-sized dog in her lap. The dog was hanging out the driver's window. If she were to slam on the brakes, that poor dog would have been hurt. Also, it has to be a distraction to have a dog jumping around while trying to drive.

I can see your point, but I'm more concerned about the jacka$$es who talk and text on their phones while driving and pay little or no attention while zipping in and out of lanes.

Two weeks ago, driving home in the stop and go traffic on 696, I saw some idiot typing on his laptop!!! I honked my horn and wagged a finger at him and he quickly looked away. I laughed about the incedent later, but he could have rear-ended the car in front of him.

LodgeDodger Guest

I'm against that, too. I'm not a good enough driver to multi-task. I'm quite sure others aren't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I can see your point, but I'm more concerned about the jacka$$es who talk and text on their phones while driving and pay little or no attention while zipping in and out of lanes.
    Usually when I see someone going slow on the freeway in the fast lane... they're on their cell phones.

They usually don't do much lane changing that I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Usually when I see someone going slow on the freeway in the fast lane... they're on their cell phones.

They usually don't do much lane changing that I've noticed.
    I'm pretty anti-phone in general, but I attribute it to being a guy. Not sure who these guys are who need to get on their cell phones the second they get in the car. Reminds me of the Family Guy where Peter gets in touch with his feminine side and calls Quagmire just to talk.

Quagmire: Hello?
    Peter: Hey, Quagmire.
    Quagmire: Hey, Peter. What's up?
    Peter: Not much.
    Quagmire: Well, what do you want?
    Peter: Nothin'. I'm just calling to talk. Whatcha thinking about?
    Quagmire: What do you mean, what am I thinking about? You called me!
    Peter: I just wanted to say hi. So, what are you... [click]

I have by me a place called the million dollar mile. [[now worth $380,000). Anyway I saw a wisp of a girl, maybe sixteen, pulling into heavy traffic with a Land Rover while texting and turning and chatting with friends in the back seat. You would think that you'd practice up on some driving skills before attempting the multitasking. But then again, she probably grew up watching mommy doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    Last I checked, careless and reckless driving were still on the books, and I don't see why any example up above wouldn't fit one of those categories. Why would we need a new law, say against letting dogs ride on your lap?

Is the mere presence of the dog on someone's lap so dangerous that it needs to be illegal on its own?
    What about the research that shows talking to a passenger in the car can be just as distracting as talking on a cell phone? Shoudn't it be illegal to have passengers?
    Source? All the studies I see say talking on a cell phone is more distracting than talking to a passenger.

Shoudn't it be illegal to have passengers?
    No, but reading text messages and scanning phone numbers to dial while driving should be. Especially, the person ahead of you, waiting to pull into traffic from a parking lot, who should be watching for an opening . That affects us all.

ccbatson Guest

A nonhuman dog in your lap is not the same as a restrained human passenger.

ccbatson Guest

And before you make fun....I know there are no "human dogs" in the context of what I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    And before you make fun....I know there are no "human dogs" in the context of what I was saying.

ccbatson Guest

LOL...I knew that was coming and stepped right into it.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Oh GOD! That's hilarious!

But the lady didn't have Goofy in her lap...

ccbatson Guest

An instance where I am in favor of this regulation...the privilege of driving carries responsibility.