Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Solutions to Detroit's Crime Problem???

Since the higher ups don't have a clue on ways to begin combating the issue of crime of Detroit, maybe some DetroitYessers can offer some suggestions....

I for one vote for more transparency and knowledge from the police department regarding where and what particular crimes are happening. Both the Los Angeles Times and New York Times post major crime statistics with the Los Angeles Times calling theirs 'The Homicide Report.' I think the general public has a right to know what is happening and where in terms of all reported/known crimes, drug areas, etc.... It's a problem in our city that is just not going to 'go away'. There are more crimes that are happening in this city everyday that have not made the news or papers.

Jobs, jobs, and more jobs.

DetroitDad Guest

Excellent topic. I got some thoughts on this one... but right now I have to go keep another plate spinning............

You guys are one of the reasons I love this town! Heh...

MizMotown, no disrespect but getting a handle on Detroit's crime problem requires multiple issues being tackled. There's no magic bullet although that is all anyone is looking for. English is partly right, jobs would be a huge help. But there are many other issues besides jobs that need addressing as well. Parenting, schools, environment, mentors, police enforcement, community involvement, and judges who are tough on crime are just a few things that need to be addressed. Since no politician ever has the will to do what needs to be done but only wants to put on a show for the voters I doubt any of those issues will be addressed in the short term.

The main problem, IMHO, is that metro Detroit never, ever had a solution for urban problems, other than "move to the suburbs." And so, absent a few notable exceptions, the city you get is besieged by all the social problems of people who cannot afford to move.

I agree that transparency would be a good thing, though.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Since the higher ups don't have a clue on ways to begin combating the issue of crime of Detroit, maybe some DetroitYessers can offer some suggestions....

I for one vote for more transparency and knowledge from the police department regarding where and what particular crimes are happening. Both the Los Angeles Times and New York Times post major crime statistics with the Los Angeles Times calling theirs 'The Homicide Report.' I think the general public has a right to know what is happening and where in terms of all reported/known crimes, drug areas, etc.... It's a problem in our city that is just not going to 'go away'. There are more crimes that are happening in this city everyday that have not made the news or papers.
    People who live in the neighborhoods where the crimes are occurring, where the drugs are sold already know these things if they talk to their neighbors. Between the high rate of illiteracy and the piss-poor circulation numbers in the city, printing the numbers wouldn't accomplish anything except give the 'burbs more reason to cluck about "those people" [[or "society" for those trying to be nice) in Detroit.

I think the Police Department needs a thorough disinfecting from the top down, to rid us of the vermin of the Kilpatrick years first of all, along with the rest of city government. Maybe some of the "no snitch" attitude would go away if people had confidence in those at the top.

Let's not forget the PD is still under scrutiny by the feds, and that's still necessary as evidenced by the heavy-handed exercise that led to the death of Aiyana Jones.

The para-military, guns-blazing attitude needs to be stricken, too. Get more officers out on the street, walking and talking instead of just driving [[or sleeping).

Just to the issue of transparency...remember who would be in charge of disclosure. Unless you pulled names of the general public out of a hat to audit, verify and disclose, you are still stuck with those in charge providing "transparency" of statistics that they have already manipulated. In my other life I watched this go on elsewhere. I am now watching some shenanigans going on in a small suburban community which quite frankly should have the county prosecutor diving in for a full blown investigation. But that will never happen because one filthy hand is washing the other.

Nothing is impossible. I know there are no easy solutions. Crime in a city may not be able to be stopped completely but there are definitely things that can be done that may just prevent one less murder, one less robbery, one less drug deal, etc... Starting at the top is a beginning. There just seems to be no method to the madness. There is a deep, underlying sickness and insanity in this world and it's manifesting itself in all kinds of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    The main problem, IMHO, is that metro Detroit never, ever had a solution for urban problems, other than "move to the suburbs." And so, absent a few notable exceptions, the city you get is besieged by all the social problems of people who cannot afford to move.
    ...that, or move to "fill-in-the-blank" city [[usually Chicago).

Detroit needs to pull the trigger on Chpt 9 before anything happens. It's saddled with way too much debt and bloat to be able to ever effectively right itself. It's GM. Chpt 9 and an infusion of some federal dollars to prime the pump. I'm sure our illustrious and long serving representatives can handle bringing home some pork.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Nothing is impossible. I know there are no easy solutions. Crime in a city may not be able to be stopped completely but there are definitely things that can be done that may just prevent one less murder, one less robbery, one less drug deal, etc... Starting at the top is a beginning. There just seems to be no method to the madness. There is a deep, underlying sickness and insanity in this world and it's manifesting itself in all kinds of ways.
    You're right, nothing is impossible. I just have no faith in this city/region/state. Politicians simply tell their constituents whatever they want to hear so they can get reelected. The problem is, until the voters realize there is no magic bullet fix to Detroit's crime problems then the politicians will never be forced to actually deal with the issues. 'Hiring more police' is the carrot on a stick dangling in front of the voters to lull them along.

There is no majic bullet for this problem....But here are a few starters.....1. Jobs, 2. More police, 3. More involvement by the community, 4. Find out where the guns are coming from and take them off of the street.

The police know were the crimes are and post it on thier web site:
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...3/Default.aspx

The community talks about helping, but when a crime occurs, no body saw or heard anything.....Hmmmmm Just sayin.......

=D

Here's a ideal to solve Detroit's massive crime problem. START COMMUNITY POLICING!

Retroit Guest

In addition to Searay215's site, you might also like this one: http://spotcrime.com/mi/detroit

Money is tight, so fighting crime will be difficult with the existing resources

so......

Start busting people for petty crimes. Fine people for littering, running red lights, vandalism. None of this police ignore the small stuff. Start racking up money and funnel that towards fighting the big crimes. Trust me, you''ll fix a lot of problems along the way.

A fleet of several dozen D8 & D9 Caterpillars.

Start at Telegraph and level everything until you get to Moross.

Jobs are not the only answer there are jobs out there but some people don't want to work when they can get YEARS of unemployment!!!!! Some people need to realize that the days of $23 an hour big 3 jobs is gone and won't be back!!! I know a lot of people that won't work for $12-14 hr. Their attitude is they get by on unemployment and don't need to work. I am not saying everybody can get a job but alot of people don't even look they just collect the check and say there are no jobs.

The biggest answer is raise your kids right!!!! This shit of shooting somebody because they looked at you wrong is bullshit pure and simple. People want the police to do everything. They can't raise your kids teach them right from wrong and how to behave. Somebody will say its because there is no father figure well my mom smacked just as hard as my Dad did.

The other answer is POLICE. Everybody wants the police to do everything perfect in reality the police are humans just like everybody else and are NOT perfect. People want the police to solve crimes but won't tell the police what they see the NO SNITCH stuff is bullshit pure and simple then people get mad when crimes are not solved. Give the police the equipment they need 50% of the scout cars don't run or have functioning equipment. They are issued rubber filled bullets!!!! [[They are now allowed to purchase their own approved ammo) . They need more less lethal weapons not going to say taser's because those are lawsuits waiting to happen. But don't tie the hands of the police and then complain about them. [[BTW everybody falls asleep on their job at one time or another)

But in the end it all starts at home everybody says Detroit needs to clean house well start at home where are your kids it's 12:00 am????

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A fleet of several dozen D8 & D9 Caterpillars.

Start at Telegraph and level everything until you get to Moross.
    They run perpendicular to each other, wise guy.

Figurative. Border to border.

And from 8 Mile to the river.

Heck, make it 696 to the river.

Heck, most of the stuff south of Eight Mile is demolished already. Make it M-59 to I-696. Think of all the wonderful new freeways and office parks we could build, not to mention how much money Adamo could make!

Bearinabox Guest

Meddle, the thing about tasteless humor is it actually has to be funny.

the only long-term answer, anywhere in the world, is education.

What is really sad, the instant thought that came into my head was Nagasaki.

There is no one issue answer. Just as Detroit fell like dominos, the rise from the ashes will be the same.

The Guardian Angels.

LOL ROFL Robocop that's awesome ha ha!
    Might I suggest Alice? She did a bang-up job in Raccoon City!

More to the point, I agree with what most people here are saying, things like transparent government and education are a real start. To my mind, a key issue is also whether people feel hopeful and energized about their future. I certainly don't think we oughta just raze the place.

But if a magic bullet answer is needed, I suggest the Guardian Angels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast