Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default KEITH CRAIN: Let Moroun make some more money

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...18#cdbComments

There is a controversy over whether or not to build a second bridge between Detroit and Windsor and whether Matty Moroun should be allowed to add a second span to his Ambassador Bridge.

I say: Let the guy spend his own money and expand his bridge.

With all the troubles facing our state from budget and manpower shortages, we would be wise to just shelve the government plans and let private enterprise continue to invest its money. Traffic is down from a decade ago; we can wait to see if the traffic increases enough to justify investing public money.

I've heard from both parties on this issue. For some reason I still can't figure out, the Michigan and Canadian governments don't want this guy to spend his own money to expand and operate his bridge at a profit. They seem to believe an international bridge should be owned and operated by a government bureaucracy, not private enterprise. And they seem to think making a profit on such a bridge is wrong.

The Canadians want this new bridge so much they are willing increase their share of investment by more than $500 million that would be paid back by future tolls. Moroun has had a tough relationship with the Canadians for decades. It started with trucking and it now includes bridges. I don't expect there is much that will make them happy.

Matty Moroun is not always a lovable fellow, although I must admit I have always found him to be very cordial and friendly. On the other hand, I've never done business with him. I understand he's one very tough businessman. Sometimes to excess. But heck, if he makes a few more million, maybe he'll become one of the great philanthropists of our community. You never know.

With new profits from an expansion, maybe Moroun would restore his Detroit train station and fix up that horrid eyesore.

Matty Moroun is a feisty old guy who is a self-made gazillionare. He plays hardball all the time and, I'm told, doesn't like to lose. But he's owned that bridge for a long time, and I think we should let him spend some of his millions to expand it.

If traffic goes up substantially, we can always build another bridge. Meanwhile, let's spend our time on the other challenges facing the state of Michigan.

Let Matty expand his bridge.....

It seems like Keith has no knowlege of the reality of the bridge issue.... Here is my note in response...

Keith,
    I can not begin to tell you how much I disagree... I understand traffic #'s have been seen as the measure of the beast thus far for the DIBC's argument... Unfortunately that argument holds less and less weight especially when the DIBC is making a contradictory argument on a bridge they are trying to build to New York... See the Windsor Stars Article...

http://www.windsorstar.com/business/...452/story.html

If that is not enough both the DRIC and DIBC bridges would be paid for with private activity bonds which would be paid back through Tolls. So in essence it comes down to, Do we allow for a monopoly with one of the worst slumlords/neighbors the city has or do we allow for a public private partnership that would give some governmental oversight, community benefits and not have the DIBC taking every inch of a project to court...

Matty will never be a philanthropist as he has proven time and time again that he would rather spend money on lawyers than he would to give a cent back to the host community... If he spent half the money that he spends on lawyers investing positively in the community he would be seen in a much different light... But I must call a rat, a rat, and Moroun is just that...

The residents of Southwest Detroit know this far to well. Please don't ever say you never know the reality of the matter is we have known for far to long the investment he makes in the community is not the investment we want! We want to save historic homes, not demolish them. We want to be able to use the public parks our tax payer dollars pay for, we don't want Moroun illegally squatting and destroying it... We want truck traffic off of our surface streets, not an illegally built bridge to no where...

Oh yeah and by the way Keith, Canada will never allow the DIBC to land his bridge nor is Moroun making any attempt to get the permits he needs...

Fact of the matter is Matty does not have the land, permits, or permission needed to "expand his bridge" and Detroit needs jobs not a billionaire that can not follow process or engage the community with transparency about his project...

Sincerely,
    Joe Rashid
    Community Organizer
    BridgeWatch Detroit

Let 'em have it, Joe.

If the numbers are so down than why does he want another bridge so bad? Maybe he'll become a great philanthropist? WTF? Playing hardball is one thing but commandeering land [[stealing) is something completely different. Let me say something that others may not: F that guy and his bridge.

Default Matthew Morouns response...

MJ Moroun wrote:
    Well written Keith Crain. Obviosuly no-one here has done their homeowork. Matty Moroun already own 99.9% of the land needed for the second span and he has already landed in Canada, the pier is already there. Also Matty Moroun is probably one of the biggest contributors to the Southwest Detroit Community you just don't hear about all the positive contributions he has made. He has given hundreds of children opportunities they could only have dreamed of. Why would the media want to promote all the good he's already done slamming him makes for a better story in the medias eyes. Maybe it's time some real homework is done to find out all the good he has done and continues to do. I am so sick of hearing about the train station too. Don't you think for one minute if he could find someone to commit to a lease of the facility he would repair it immediatly. Why spend millions on a vacant building to repair it only to let the vandals who have destroyd it and continue to do so keep up their destruction. The city could not afford to keep the train station so essentially he took it off their hands with the hopes and dreams of restoring an amazing piece of infrastructure. Why not start attacking the City of Detroit because as often as I drive down there the last time I checked the entire City has become an eyesore!

My Response

Matty owns 99.9 percen't of the land????

So what is the .1 percent the illegal occupation of Riverside Park? Or is it 23rd street... Oh and wasn't the plaza, bridge, and the dukes of hazzard ramp all constructed without proper permiting.... Also Matthew where does the bridge company stand on the Environmental Impact Statement [[EIS)? You must follow the law trying to bypass process will get you no where! It is sad because your father is one of the biggest land owners in the city and one of the richest men in Michigan. If he would follow the law and not buy properties on quit claims for 500 a pop and leave them to rot he would not perpetuate the problem.... But alas he would rather blight entire neighborhoods than have transparency to the process and follow the law... Trying to buy people off is not what I consider to be a charitable contribution... Unfortunately you were raised to think that is what a charitable contribution is...
    Last edited by urbanoutdoors; May-24-10 at 08:26 AM.

Seems the bridge company just wants to postpone the inevitable. Windsor will never allow the second span but Stamper and Co. want to maintain the monopoly as long as possible. Surprising that Mr. Crain would appose the huge economic benefit to the area the the DRIC Zug island bridge will bring.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    So in essence it comes down to, Do we allow for a monopoly with one of the worst slumlords/neighbors the city has or do we allow for a public private partnership that would give some governmental oversight, community benefits and not have the DIBC taking every inch of a project to court...

Take the above quote out of your responses in the future because you sound like you hate rich people and when writing to a "business" magazine its probably not a good idea.

And yes, I know most people dislike wealthy people around here, for what reason I don't know-jealousy maybe?

As far as Matty taking every inch of the opposing project to court--That is his right. Just like its the right of a paper pushing bureaucrat who has a bug up his/her ass about building a publicly owned span and making his/her life goal to stop a privately funded bridge from being built.

The only difference is Matty is doing it with his own money, the bureaucrat is doing it with OUR money.

I have a feeling the state will blink first, especially with the way the political landscape will be changing in November.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    MJ Moroun wrote:
    Well written Keith Crain, Daddy's dollars have obviously been invested well with you. Obviosuly no-one here has done their homeowork, but we never do, Daddy has bought off all our teachers over the years...so we've never learned how. Matty Moroun already own 99.9% of the land needed for the second span and he has already landed in Canada, the pier is already there, I know this because Daddy told me so, and why would he lie?. Also Matty Moroun is probably one of the biggest contributors to the Southwest Detroit Community you just don't hear about all the positive contributions he has made, somehow his arsonist and thug buddies just don't want the press. He has given hundreds of children opportunities they could only have dreamed of, by forcing them to move from their comfortable homes into the unknown world of potential and promise. Why would the media want to promote all the good he's already done slamming him makes for a better story in the medias eyes and I don't know when to place a comma or use a question mark. Maybe it's time some real homework is done to find out all the good he has done and continues to do, but then I'm afraid of having to disown him because of the real story and lose my inheritance, which y'all know is quite substantial. I am so sick of hearing about the train station too, why cannot you pretend it doesn't exist like Daddy does? You should see how he treats it on his version of Detroit Monopoly...which the family is forced to play with him every night. Don't you think for one minute if he could find someone to commit to a lease of the facility he would repair it immediatly. I mean, just like all those Taubman malls going to hell in the suburbs, because they have no lessees, right? [[Daddy HATES it when Al beats him at Monopoly, so he isn't invited over any longer...plus Al refuses to play in Lebanese Pounds, even when Daddy graciously offers to open the family bank in the basement after hours to convert Al's gold bars.) Why spend millions on a vacant building to repair it only to let the vandals who have destroyd it and continue to do so keep up their destruction. Because those vandals are really the reason it looks like it does, Daddy says [[but why are all the windows and doors in the mansion FROM there, h-m-m-n). The city could not afford to keep the train station so essentially he took it off their hands with the hopes and dreams of restoring an amazing piece of infrastructure, and you know how tough it is for a bazillionaire to reach his hopes and dreams...Daddy is one frustrated man and I'm really trying to help him out [[where's Jack Kevorkian when you need him?). Why not start attacking the City of Detroit because as often as I drive down there the last time I checked the entire City has become an eyesore! [[Daddy made me say that, I almost couldn't type it through my choking tears of gut laughter, please edit this and all the other red text out before publishing, or get to meet another of Daddy's attorney army, and we'll pull all our ads and support for your fine magazine. Did I tell you that another of Daddy's hopes and dreams is to start a business magazine weekly in Detroit?)

[[the above is fantasy, and intended ONLY for the amusement of the players, any resemblance to those living, dead, and/or wandering around in a zombie haze in Grosse Pointe, and obviously the editorial offices of Crain's, are purely intentional for the use of sarcasm and parody, EAT ME, Matty and your minions!)
    Last edited by Gannon; May-24-10 at 12:09 PM.

Sorry, Keith Crane is an overly large, spoiled rotten, beneficiary of family wealth. He talks about 'private enterprise' and the 'free market' like he knows what it is. He wouldn't be where he is if , in fact, there was truly a free market and free enterprise. Just because he controls a mouthpiece of the 'business establishment' doesn't mean he has any credibility. He's likely elbowed with Manny Maroun at the DAC and private clubs more than we'll ever know.

lincoln8741 both bridges would be built/funded by bonds subsidized by tax payers and repaid with toll revenues. the question is which bridge, or both, meet the need of the market and the security and stability needs that we should insist on.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcorky View Post
    lincoln8741 both bridges would be built/funded by bonds subsidized by tax payers and repaid with toll revenues. the question is which bridge, or both, meet the need of the market and the security and stability needs that we should insist on.

I was talking about the "fight" between the State and Matty. Matty is spending his own money in that fight, the bureaucrat is spending ours .

Where does it say that Matty's bridge will be built with public money?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Take the above quote out of your responses in the future because you sound like you hate rich people and when writing to a "business" magazine its probably not a good idea.
    How does that "sound like he hates rich people"? He's highlighting the fact that Maroun has a monopoly, which even the most capitalistic capitalists admit is a bad thing for the economy. Nice baiting though. Apparently if you oppose a man who has never once shown good intentions toward the city or its residents, who continues to violate state and federal law, you must "hate the rich" or "be jealous." Right. Perhaps you have no problem with arrogant law-breakers, but most of us do.

And personally, I would feel better knowing the busiest border crossing to Canada was not in his grubby, tainted hands.

...and let Matty build his truck only bridge near Buffalo, and buy up bridges crossing the Rio Grande between Mexico and Texas, it's his money.

Nice to see the Federal Government paying for his security forces in the form of Border Patrol and ICE. I had a run-in with them a couple of weeks ago, as I tried to walk from a Fort Street bus stop to Bagley.

So, obviously Crain is playing pocket pool with Matty.

Take a look at where Matty's wealth really comes from.

It is not the bridge, although a lucrative source of revenue, but his trucking interests. He realizes controlling the crossings between our neighbors gives him a huge advantage over any competition as he sets the rates. His trucking firms pay much less than others to cross the border.

So Keith Crain, do you approve that a private individual controls our border crossings and trade simply because they have the funds to do it?

We may as well revert to feudalism with that mindset.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    How does that "sound like he hates rich people"? He's highlighting the fact that Maroun has a monopoly, which even the most capitalistic capitalists admit is a bad thing for the economy.
    How does he have a monopoly again?

Isn't the ambassador bridge sanctioned by an act of congress?

Or do you mean the fact that he is buying land at public auction when no one else will?

how is that a monopoly?

Nope, now I got it--you are saying he will have a monopoly once he builds a second span because there won't be any competition with A GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY?

how is that a monopoly?

Quote Originally Posted by choquant View Post
    Nice baiting though. Apparently if you oppose a man who has never once shown good intentions toward the city or its residents, who continues to violate state and federal law, you must "hate the rich" or "be jealous."
    Since when did business have anything to do whatsoever with "good intentions"

I would love to see how many businesses are succesful based on "good intentions"

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    How does he have a monopoly again?

Since when did business have anything to do whatsoever with "good intentions"

I would love to see how many businesses are succesful based on "good intentions"

in a liberals mind that should be the main motivation behind business, they should only exist for the good of the collective [[see venezuela)....

The Detroit News Joins the debate
    May 25, 2010 http://detnews.com/article/20100525/OPINION01/5250311 Editorial: Time to build the Detroit-Canada bridge

THE DETROIT NEWS

It's time to end the long debate over the proposed Detroit River International Crossing [[DRIC) and start building it. Canada's offer of $550 million to front Michigan's share of the cost has removed the state's biggest obstacle and should ease the decision to go ahead with it.
    There's still concern over the potential impact this public-private crossing would have on the privately owned Ambassador Bridge. As unfair as the process may seem toward owner Matty Moroun, however, the U.S. and Canadian governments are dead-set on the proposed new Downriver crossing, while Moroun's own proposal for a second span must go through a long approval process and faces particular opposition among Canadian leaders because of its location.
    The bottom line: Governments in Canada and the U.S. hold the authority to issue permits clearing the way for a second Detroit River span to bolster the $43.8 billion in trade flowing through the Detroit-Windsor crossing. It would be unrealistic to stake the future of such a valuable connection on a company whose proposal is destined to get thwarted at every step in the permitting process on both sides of the river.
    Momentum favoring the DRIC has grown substantially as the Michigan Legislature this week confronts its self-imposed June 1 deadline for deciding whether to approve the $5.3 billion bridge, which would cross in the area of Zug Island and link I-75 with Canada's Highway 401. The dozens of organizational, government-related and business backers include the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson and Ford Motors.
    Patterson said the bridge would help his county gain 6,000 jobs, and that failure to capitalize on this "once in a lifetime opportunity" would cede a substantial chunk of future trade-related traffic to Buffalo, N.Y., and Fort Erie, Ont. Detroit Chamber Senior Vice President Sarah Hubbard, testifying recently in favor of the DRIC, pointed out that the commercial transport industry is "extremely sensitive" to bottlenecks.
    Buffalo and Fort Erie already have four crossings and 14 lanes, even though there is substantially less traffic than in the Detroit-Windsor corridor. Detroit-Windsor, with the busiest international trade crossing on the U.S.-Canada border, has a combined six lanes on a bridge and a tunnel that both are more than 80 years old. Interestingly, Canadian newspaper reports indicate Moroun's company is proposing yet another private Buffalo-Fort Erie crossing while arguing there's insufficient Detroit-Windsor traffic to warrant building the DRIC.
    Moroun's claim that international border traffic has dropped by 50 percent over the last decade, mostly the result of economic woes, remains an unsettling aspect of the bridge debate. Infrastructure projects like the DRIC, however, are long-term investments that involve risk and must rely on projections from experts who say cross-border commercial truck traffic will more than double by 2035.
    Very important to Michigan's awakening economy are the 10,000 construction jobs the project would create during the four years it will take to build the bridge, and the tens of thousands of jobs the international traffic flow will continue to support. These are benefits we should reap now, while trusting there'll be room for an entrepreneur like Moroun to continue to prosper as well.

__._,_.___