Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why no shared cars in Detroit?

Disclaimer: The below, my first post on this forum, sounds like so much kvetsching, so let me just state that I am contemplating coming back to the D, and so am not just slamming the city for not being as suave & cool as some other cities.

I have always wondered why Detroit does not have any shared car services. Ann Arbor not only has ZipCar, it also has a coop or two, and some kind of an outfit that's backed by UHaul, if I remember correctly. I totally get that much of the city is not so dense that car sharing makes so much sense that it is just screaming you in the face [[although it has residents who are struggling financially and could stand to benefit). But what about downtown and midtown? All those people living and working there need their own car? WSU, GM, the government, and Detroit's other functioning businesses and institutions surely don't maintain fleets of cars for employee use on short trips around the area, right?

I lived in Cadillac Square in Downtown Detroit, up until 2 years ago, and the expense of parking was a major PITA. All those people in Cadillac Square, the Lofts at Woodward Center, Millender, Trolley Plaza/Washington Square, they all need to pay $150/month in order to park their car during the week as they walk to work at Campus Martius or the Renaissance Center? That's just to get in the game; for the privilege of being able to drive out to necessary shopping on a Saturday afternoon. It just doesn't make sense to me, and it was a total frustration at the time I lived there [[one of those dangit, this place could be so much more than it is things).

Anybody have any thoughts on why this is not in place already, or what I failed to see when I still [[briefly) lived there? Whatever happened to Via Car, which apparently went under shortly before I got there?

<ok, I gave it away, I lived there from 2005-2008>

Because 99.9999% of the people who would patronize a car share service in Detroit already own their own cars out of necessity.

lilpup Guest

At one time metro Detroit had the most cars per household than any other metro area in the US - don't know if that's still true or not.

Car shares are just really short-term car rentals and car rentals around here aren't all that expensive if one shops around and takes advantage of available programs.

Does anyone know what happened to this Detroit car sharing service from 2005?

http://carsharingus.blogspot.com/200...vice-uses.html

Because all the shared cars would be treated like crap in D....just saying noticing the general condition of things.

I'm a subscriber here in Chicago. To be honest, I don't like it, and I've not been happy with the general condition of cars, but my options are either pay $380/month for a parking space I'm not even guaranteed, or buy my own parking spot flat out for $35,000. That's why car sharing is needed in some place and not others. Just buy a car in Detroit and pay the 150 whatever.

The questioner is mistaking the lack of a formal service for the lack of a service. People decided to share my cars a couple of times.

Like many things, this may happen eventually in Detroit.

I thought car 'sharing' was quite common in the area. They don't always come back in one piece though.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Like many things, this may happen eventually in Detroit.
    The hell you say, Little Missy. Are you suggesting that the Lions may eventually make it to the Super Bowl?

Just toying with you, and you can share my car with me. I hear that you're easy on the eyes, and sharing my four-wheeled disgrace will keep your ass off of that damned People Mover.

Let me clarify: I'm probably not talking about like 90% of the city here, but the functional business core bordered by the river, the Lodge, I75 and I375, and then up the Woodward corridor to New Center. Detroit's financial hopes are centered on these two clusters of economic activity, and the hope is that public transportation initiatives like the M-1 rail and that "commuter rail" line out to Ann Arbor will catalyze this economic activity [[such as there is) further, and out into additional parts of Detroit. A central theme with all of this is this concept that you have got to have walkable spaces where people will enjoy spending their leisure time. Or am I seeing things? I mean, I'm not making this up, right? This is clearly either the vision, or one of a number of competing visions, about how to keep the lights on in Detroit, right?

If I am not wrong, whose bright idea was it to promote this vision of yuppie-chic loft residences and not see to it that there would be a Zipcar? It's just a basic piece of the proposition. It wouldn't necessarily have to be Zipcar of course, but a car share in general.

The heart of my argument is that a car share is an integral part of the whole new urban vision that it seems to me is being implemented. I mean, they think they're gonna get 15,000 millenials to live in Detroit by 2015 without a car share? Because yeah, sure, everything here is by your definition a little crummier and more expensive than in your leafy suburb, every-one-I-know, and I have no counter to your definition, no paradigm shift, no 21st century anything to take any pride in and undermine the basis of the point of view from which everyone-I-know's skepticism is drawn, namely that's it is super-awesome to drive everywhere, and not a dead-end approach to setting up a community. But I will nonetheless move here, as one of the desired upwardly mobile educated members of the creative class.

Isn't it obvious? Needs a car share to work. The car share won't be what makes it work, but its absence will be what keeps it from working. Even if you embrace Detroit's buses and the M-1 when it is extended, and go to the artsy movie house in Royal Oak that way [[hey, at least this way, you can drink afterward, a real advantage to public transportation), you need to have that option to drive out to Canton and go to Ikea once in a blue moon.

Needs a car share.
    Last edited by fryar; May-24-10 at 01:18 AM. Reason: late night edit - prolly not a good idea ;-)

There isn't anywhere near enough population here, even in that central core, to make such a business workable in Detroit. Especially since most people who come from around these parts originally, given our local traditions, would much rather own and operate their own cars. Most of those who do not own cars in Detroit aren't yuppies, but rather the very poor and often the elderly [[like the people on the north side discussed in the post above), who definitely should have better transportation options, but are not really a market for a pricey car rental service.

To make something like that work you really need to have a more densely populated and wealthier city, where keeping and parking a car is much more of an expense/hassle [[believe it or not, $150/month is very low compared to most big cities in the country), and where traditionally lots of adults don't own cars or drive regularly. In the U.S. that describes most east coast cites, as well as Chicago, S.F., and some others, but certainly not Detroit.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-24-10 at 12:56 AM.

EastsideAl, I went to college and lived in New York, I am definitely familiar with a city being set up that way. But look at the whole entire picture. Parking, insurance and the car payment on my $8,800 car that I moved to Detroit with added up to just over $500 per month. That's basically as much as my whole apartment. Meanwhile, I am pretty closely related to those guys that were supposed to rent the lofts at Merchant Row and so on, I'm reasonably well educated and successful and so on. I'm just too cheap to do that myself. But why would you do that and then submit yourself to the idiocy of all of these payments so the car can sit in glorified storage all week as you walk to work, to restaurants and to bars. If you're that person, don't you have a decent car that's gonna cost you a lot?

So you ditch the car, take the bus up Gratiot to Eastern Market, up Woodward to Aldi or that other supermarket, there could even be a reasonable bus connection to that Kroeger on I375 for all I know. And once in a while, you go to Target or the Ford Wyoming Drive In. Reasonable [[not penny pinching) usage costs you, say, $180 per month. All those savings, plus somewhere somehow the "machine" takes care of washing the car, filling it up with gas, oil changes, and it's a nice statusy car as well.
    Last edited by fryar; May-24-10 at 01:37 AM.

Actually there is a lot of car sharing that goes on here. It is not formalized like a business proposition however.

My personal car has been on loan to a friend for 2 1/2 months since we don't need it. Public transportation is not an option for him since he lives in Detroit and works in a far Burb.

Fryar, it is part of the Detroit culture. Perhaps it is simply not for you.

How many hours per month do you plan to budget? Remember, if you exceed the amount, your costs begin to add up. Car sharing is for the occasional user. A trip to the grocery store once a week, and maybe a drive out to the suburbs.

It's still somewhat of a novelty here in Chicago and back when I lived in Ann Arbor. I just can't imagine it in Detroit, I'd feel I'd have to own a car unless I had no money.
    Last edited by wolverine; May-24-10 at 06:15 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    But look at the whole entire picture. Parking, insurance and the car payment on my $8,800 car that I moved to Detroit with added up to just over $500 per month. That's basically as much as my whole apartment.
    Well, now, it's all about your choices, isn't it?

For me:
    car - $1,600 cash [[no payments)
    insurance - $50/month [[no collision)
    parking - free on the street - typically under $10/month at the occasional meters when out and about

Detroit's greatest lesson - you don't need a lot to live, but if it's image driven conspicuous consumer status you seek you need to be stupid enough to pay for it...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    The hell you say, Little Missy. Are you suggesting that the Lions may eventually make it to the Super Bowl?

Just toying with you, and you can share my car with me. I hear that you're easy on the eyes, and sharing my four-wheeled disgrace will keep your ass off of that damned People Mover.
    Hey now! Lodgedodger's getting jealous...

Ravine & Lodgedodger, you're both hilarious! I don't even know of anyone who uses the ZipCars in Ann Arbor. Even most students over 21 have their own car.

Lilpup's got the right idea. I'll be in the car market this winter, and think that I'll buy used in order to deal with the insurance when I move back to the D.... but if I could only get over my addiction to the scent of a new car! What's in that stuff, anyway?

Lilpup, I'm with you all the way on that. I ended up trading that car with the loan to a coworker, and taking her 1999 Saturn with 100k+ miles on it off her hands. $50 per month in insurance now that I did not have a loan, which in turn required me to have comprehensive and collision insurance per the loan terms.

I had had a 12 year old car with a big dent in the fender prior to that car. The only reason I even bought it was that I figured I would likely end up needing a reliable car in Detroit for work, that this was one issue I would not want to mess with. However, turned out I ended up living 2 blocks from work, and had precisely the driving pattern Wolverine described above.

Going north on Woodward from Campus Martius, those first couple of blocks are definitely trying to be more upscale and trendy, which seems to me would necessitate a trendier car than an old beater. But for my own purposes, the old beater approach is more than adequate.

Ann Arbor is not the first place I would think of as the kind of dense city-type location in which space is at a premium, and so a car share does not makes so much sense at first glance, except for very few, isolated exceptions. This equation could change, however, if UoM participated in the car share in place of administering its own fleet.

lilpup Guest

Zipcars are huge with the students in Ann Arbor. The fleet is based on the University's North Campus.

Most undergrads and a lot of the foreign students don't have their own cars in Ann Arbor and available Zipcars, or even traditional rental cars, are hard to find during any holiday student exodus.

Thank you, Lilpup.
    Do you happen to know if UoM is a member in ZipCar Ann Arbor, and has eliminated some or all of its fleet in favor of car sharing?

Look at it this way, how many big name car rental places do you know of in Detroit such as Avis, Alamo, Hertz Etc?

If im not mistaken, they are all located out by the airport!

Part of my business is renting U-hauls, and if you ever take notice you will realize that all the crappy trucks are in Detroit and all the nice new shiny trucks are out in the suburbs. Did you know U-haul rents cargo vans and pick up trucks? You can only get them in the suburbs and not in the inner city.

For some reason, the people who rent the trucks in the city tend to put more wear and tear on them when used in the city.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Thank you, Lilpup.
    Do you happen to know if UoM is a member in ZipCar Ann Arbor, and has eliminated some or all of its fleet in favor of car sharing?
    I don't know if U-M is a member but I doubt it. They essentially run their own car sharing program for university related activities with their own fleet.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Look at it this way, how many big name car rental places do you know of in Detroit such as Avis, Alamo, Hertz Etc?

I know there are a few neighborhood locations out Woodward. Hertz has a place north of Nine Mile and there's another agency [[Avis? Enterprise?) out around 13 or 14 Mile.

One thing to remember with all these agencies - far and away most of them require a credit card in the renter's name be presented and that the renter be a legally licensed driver.
    Last edited by lilpup; May-25-10 at 06:30 AM.

You are mistaken. Google 'car rental Detroit,' and you'll see several name-brand outlets in the CBD and Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post

Part of my business is renting U-hauls, and if you ever take notice you will realize that all the crappy trucks are in Detroit and all the nice new shiny trucks are out in the suburbs. Did you know U-haul rents cargo vans and pick up trucks? You can only get them in the suburbs and not in the inner city.

For some reason, the people who rent the trucks in the city tend to put more wear and tear on them when used in the city.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast