Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Reason to Distrust Big Pharma

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...ales-practices

Couple of whistle-blowers win a huge bonus from bringing to light the practices of the pharmaceutical industry's sales and promotion departments.

Of course, this concerns off-label use of drugs...prescribing them for uses beyond which they've been approved. All too common with these companies whose sole purpose seems to be to keep folks alive just long enough to empty their bank accounts.

But I'm a cynic...

My Ex doctor had a Pharma paid cruise pictures plastered around his office. Five nurses and the doctor having the times of their lives.
    That explains the high priced drugs he would always prescribe. Until my plan would refuse them, and he could find one at 1/10th the cost, that would do the same thing.

Ravine Guest

On the occasion of one of my infrequent visits to my doctor, I was stunned by the sight, in one of the rooms, of what looked to be about ten of those big-ass foil trays, you know, the kind one might use if one was looking to prepare macaroni & cheese for a fairly large pot-luck feast. [[Mmhhm... macaroni & cheese!!)
    I had to mention it to my long-time doc, with whom I had a fairly open rapport. Cripes, Doc, whose birthday?
    He casually explained that it wasn't anyone's birthday, the stuff had been dropped off by one of the pharmaceutical reps, and that they did it all of the time.
    Draw your own conclusions. I drew some.

I usually wait in the car in the parking lot when my wife has a doctor's appointment. Usually a 45 to 60 minute wait, but the weather out here is always nice so I don't mind it.

Anyway, I'm always amused to see at least four or five pharmaceutical reps unload their little sample cases out of their trunks and saunter in to the medcal office building. The funny thing is they're always nice looking young chicks, and while their attire would be described as businesslike, it's still plastered on pretty tight.

I usually call out to them, "Giving away any samples?" They usually huff and ignore me, thinking I'm a pervert of some kind.

Well, in my mind, maybe..........