Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Newberry School

Default Newberry School

Went out and took a few pics yesterday of Newberry since the demolition has begun. I should hopefully be able to post more updates of the demolition.

Sad. Do you know who the architect was of this school?

It's a shame that so many pretty school old buildings in Detroit are being torn down. Meanwhile, too many of Detroit's kids are going to school in buildings that look like prisons, or worse. Some of the charter schools are really butt ugly-- one day it's a warehouse, the next day someone puts up a sign and it's a school. A couple of days ago, I was watching a story on Channel 4 News about the little girl who died when she stuck her head out of a school bus window. Students and parents were standing around outside what looked like an abandoned, boarded-up, graffiti-covered building, but it turned out that this was where the little girl and her friends went to school!

Newberry was the first school I attended. I'll never forget Miss DeMattia.

Tried to go get a look see and check for bricks. I went school there. Heavy security. Chased me right away.

I stopped by on Saturday and picked up a piece of the slate roof tile that was on the ground near the front entrance. The front was not fenced at all.

You can see some of the roof tile on the ground in DetroitZack's photo of the front entrance.
    Last edited by Kathleen; May-24-10 at 10:10 AM.

Once they tear everything down, what will be left?? History, heritage, a sense of roots, all slipping away.
    My ex sister in law started her teaching career there in 1972 or 73.

The DPS should use one of these schools as their corporate office. Instead, they are holed up in New Center One, in property they do not own and have to pay rent.

Good pictures.

Made it on site to get bricks. Talked to a nice guy, said he was owner of the construction company. He walked me up to the pile of ruble to get some bricks. He also asked, did I know what was there before the school...school built 1928... funny I hope he did'nt think I was 82 years old. Anyway he said that they discovered a foundation when they were taken the building down and it was old and not part of the school. So how do we figure out what was there before the school? Any ideas.

Did anyone save that fallout shelter sign?

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    The DPS should use one of these schools as their corporate office. Instead, they are holed up in New Center One, in property they do not own and have to pay rent.
    Pfft. You can't have big wigs working in outdated, antiquated structures! C'mon now!

Quote Originally Posted by 30th Street View Post
    Made it on site to get bricks. Talked to a nice guy, said he was owner of the construction company. He walked me up to the pile of ruble to get some bricks. He also asked, did I know what was there before the school...school built 1928... funny I hope he did'nt think I was 82 years old. Anyway he said that they discovered a foundation when they were taken the building down and it was old and not part of the school. So how do we figure out what was there before the school? Any ideas.
    It appears that there were numerous foundations on that site before 1928.

Attachment 6241

I drove by today, Newberry is completely demolished