Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Building in Delray

There seems to be a fairly recently burned building in Delray. Corner of West End and Jefferson, next to old Peoples State bank. Anybody know what it was? I didn't have camera so no pix.

Stromberg2

hmm I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I will take a few pictures.

Peninsular Savings Bank? That was right on the SW corner.

^Picture doesn't work.

Detroitnerd posted this Google map on May 20, in the Unusual Detroit Streets Thread. It's the grey building on the left. Peninsula Savings Bank is on the right.

Don't know what the building was, but I do know it was old. Just a pile of bricks now.

Notice the repaired hole. That was done about 2 months ago. Next, about 4 weeks later, someone slammed into the corner of the building facing the bank. The facade started cracking. Then 2 weeks ago, it burned down. Very suspicious.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...63.07,,0,13.42

7923-41 W. Jefferson is shown as a building with five separate storefronts in the 1910 Sanborn map, the 1923 map shows it as having a furniture store occupying all of it.

The bank is a bit more interesting,sharing the bldg with a post office Behind that was located a library, facing onto W End. The brown bldg next to it with the overhang is labeled as the 5 Cent Theatre.

Attachment 6165
    {1910 Sanborn, vol 5, sheet 80}
    Last edited by Hornwrecker; May-23-10 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add map

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    7923-41 W. Jefferson is shown as a building with five separate storefronts in the 1910 Sanborn map, the 1923 map shows it as having a furniture store occupying all of it.

The bank is a bit more interesting, the arched window and door are shown as part of the post office that was L shaped around the bank part, to the arched door on W End. Behind that was located a library, facing onto W End. The brown bldg next to it with the overhang is labeled as the 5 Cent Theatre. {1910 Sanborn, vol 5, sheet 80}
    Hornwrecker, does that map by any chance show the name of the furniture store? A friend of mine's father owned a furniture store in Delray for a long time. I'm guessing that it would be their store.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Hornwrecker, does that map by any chance show the name of the furniture store? A friend of mine's father owned a furniture store in Delray for a long time. I'm guessing that it would be their store.
    No

{adding words to make it postable}.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    No

{adding words to make it postable}.
    Sorry, the map didn't appear in your post the at the time I posted my question. Otherwise, I would have looked myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Sorry, the map didn't appear in your post the at the time I posted my question. Otherwise, I would have looked myself.
    Well, that's the 1910 map, the later one only says furniture, and nothing more. Have a look at the 1928 Polk directory which might have the info, at least you have the family name to go by.

1928 Polk

I've been trying to find some info on that theatre, but only have found out a bit about the Grande Theatre, which was roughly across the street from it at 8022 W. Jefferson.

Thanks, Hornwrecker, I think I found it. The address given in the Polk is about a block west of the address of the grey building on the Google map, but they may have had an office or something at that address.

I drove by here the other day and was stunned to see the collapsed building. I suppose it should not be a surprise, but I really lamented the fact that Detroit has lost one of it's last remaining neighborhood narrow "streetwalls". End St. had that old world feel that few places in Detroit still hold on to. I believe the street was narrower from its spur north of Jefferson by about 40%. Without buildings on both sides, the decidedly European urban feel is lost. And I doubt we'll see another building here for decades, if ever.

Thanks all, I knew I'd find the answer here. Gsgeorge, that was spot on. Hopefully, someone will be able to find out it's name.

Stromberg2

I found some pictures I took of it over 2 years ago!

In this one it's the white building on the left

There's the name for you, Louis Blitz Building. I should have some more pictures, I will keep looking on my computer.

Today I took some pictures of the rubble, I will post those ones later.

Here are some pictures from today, I took a lot but I will just post 4 unless someone wants to see the rest.

By the way, I am still convinced I have a better picture of the building before the fire though I have so many pictures on my computer it may take a while to find it.

Default So who was Louis Blitz?

From A History of Detroit, Vol. 3, 1912
    http://tinyurl.com/25rcklh
    The late Louis Blitz signified much to Detroit and his was a life marked by large and worthy accomplishment by the highest integrity and honor and by an abiding human sympathy and tolerance, His was indeed a triumphant life and under this title was dedicated the beautiful tribute published at the time of his death. He was one of whom it may well be said in words of the psalmist, "Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity and in whose spirit there is no guile." He brought to bear the powers of a strong and splendid manhood in the furtherances of business enterprises which conserved the general welfare; he was loyal and public spirited as a citizen; was devout and of indefatigable zeal in religious activities; he was generous and kindly in his association with all classes and conditions of men; he was one to whom friendship was inviolable and he made his life count for good in every relation.

Few citizens of the Michigan metropolis have been more emphatically entitled to adequate recognition than Louis Blitz, the honored subject of this brief memoir. From the reports of Mr Blitz as president of Temple Beth El of Detroit are taken the following statements written by him and well indicating his attitude as a man and as a citizen.

Let it admonish us that we build monuments for ourselves during our lifetime so that we too may be gratefully remembered as having endeavored each in his humble way to lend a hand toward the uplifting and the upbuilding of his fellow men

Louis Blitz was born in the historic old city of Frankfurt am Main, Germany on the 2d of March 1850 and died on the 15th of February 1905. He was a son of Israel Blitz, a man of fine character and ability, and was about two and one half years of age at the time of the family immigration to America. The father established a home in Louisville, Kentucky and there the son gained his early educational discipline which included the curriculum of the high school in which he was graduated. Soon afterward the family removed to Detroit. In formulating plans for his future career Louis Blitz determined to prepare himself for the legal profession so he accordingly entered the law department of the University of Michigan where he continued his technical studies about three years and where he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws. After graduation he turned his attention to industrial enterprise in which he eventually achieved success and high prestige. For thirty five years he was a prominent and influential figure in connection with business affairs in Detroit and Michigan...His most important business undertaking was the establishment of the Detroit City Glass Works in what is now the thickly settled district of Delray It was the first plant of the kind in this section of the country. ,The glass works covered all branches of that trade, the commercial ware and the artistic products as well. About 1895 the plant went into one of the first of the large combinations and thereafter Mr Blitz gave his attention to varied interests including large real estate holdings. He continued however to maintain a considerable investment in Delray property which included many homes occupied by the workmen of that district. He was vice president of the German American Bank and was a director of the Empire Coal Company, Pittsburg, of which he was local representative in Detroit. He was one of the founders of the Detroit Stock Exchange and did his best to make it the power in local business affairs which he thought it ought to be. The business relations of Mr Blitz however indicate only a part of his activities. Among his friends he will perhaps be best remembered for his work in the Temple Beth El of which he was president for eight years prior to his death. His friends give him credit for the building of the beautiful new temple and say that it would have been impossible to secure it but for his valuable work and assistance. It is said in the connection that his advice was more valuable than that of a high salaried expert. A further estimate of Mr Blitz is the following given by Fred M Butzel, a representative member of the Detroit bar .

"Mr Blitz believed that he could best serve the interests of his people by taking an active part in the affairs of the community as a whole. His efforts therefore were not narrowed by sectarianism. He was a man of very equable temperament and if I were going to characterize him in a few words I would say that he combined with the modern spirit of progress of the young American all of the old time spirit of kindliness and courtesy.."

Wow, such great info everybody! Thanks! Hope to see all at the picnic.

Stromberg2

gazhekwe's link didn't work for me but this gets to the book: A History of Detroit.

It's well work bookmarking.

Yeah, I noticed that building was down a few weeks ago. I often take friends on a little "tour" I've cooked up, and that West End is one of the narrowest streets in Detroit. Too bad that you don't get that sense of enclosure on that street anymore. [[The street is blocked off and full of bricks, of course.)

I don't have any historic details, but I was there when it burned down:

A few more pictures here: http://detroiturbex.com/content/fire...ml#img/100.jpg

Denis over at detroitfiregroundimages.com has a far better writeup and selection of pictures:

http://www.detroitfiregroundimages.c...59664259_zgYLH

I checked listings on property in that area and was astounded to see them for sale for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unbelievable.

So long Louis Blitz Building! Some nut burn it all down. This is truly the end of Downtown Delray.

Sad. A once thriving area looks like a war zone. I remember going down there with my dad in the early 50's as he worked at Michigan Malleable Iron Company on Crossley. His brother worked at the Solvey. You couldn't hardly find a parking space on Jefferson.

Wasn't there a picture of the place on one of the Delray threads?

See post # 5 above ...
    Last edited by Savoyard; May-25-10 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast