Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Steam vents locations? [[ Detroit Thermal )

Hi, Just started our trip planning [[live 300 mi. away) and was wondering if anyone can provide info on where some steam vents [[the ones coming from manholes/streets) are? Took a 'walking tour' thru DHS starting from Ford Piqutte last year, and saw the one near Cass & St.antoine... Others???
    Reason: Auto photography, hope it doesn't seem vain, all!
    Staying in town, will patronize city businesses.
    Thanks.

There don't seem to be as many street steam vents as there used to be ... I think they installed tasteful homeless people saunas over most of them.

I could be wrong, but there are some located on Cass between Grand River and WSU area. Much easier to see the steam in Jan & Feb though.

planning a bombing?

Plenty of steam on Woodward from W. Grand Blvd. to downtown. Like Homer says, come back in the winter too for dramatic displays. You will think you are in Yellowstone east. But watch out; there could be a bus bearing down on you from behind the clouds.

Retroit Guest

Nice map for those who wish us harm....

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Nice map for those who wish us harm....
    Being paraoid or just living in fear, they have already beaten you.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Thanks for the legwork, did not see this...I wish they showed the vents, though...
    And the other replies, don't worry, no bombing is planned!
    Car pictures only!! TIA, guys.

There don't seem to be as many street steam vents as there used to be ...
    The water vapor you see escaping from the manhole covers is usually the result of a malfunctioning steam trap. The purpose of a steam trap is to release accumulated condensate [[water) from the pressurized steam pipe without releasing any of the valuable live steam. However, if the steam trap becomes stuck in the the open position, it allows live steam to escape into the manhole, which produces the water vapor that you see coming from the manhole. Better maintenance of the steam traps means more profit for Detroit Thermal and fewer manholes with wafting plumes of water vapor.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Being paraoid or just living in fear, they have already beaten you.
    I was always concerned one of those relief valves would fail as I was driving near or over them!

I wonder how many "steam tunnel mutants" live down there in the Detroit Thermal pipe passageways? Wild semi-humanoid critters who don't see daylight. Seen them myself way deep in the bowels of New York's Grand Central Station.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The water vapor you see escaping from the manhole covers is usually the result of a malfunctioning steam trap. The purpose of a steam trap is to release accumulated condensate [[water) from the pressurized steam pipe without releasing any of the valuable live steam. However, if the steam trap becomes stuck in the the open position, it allows live steam to escape into the manhole, which produces the water vapor that you see coming from the manhole. Better maintenance of the steam traps means more profit for Detroit Thermal and fewer manholes with wafting plumes of water vapor.
    That may be one reason, but would not account for the steam coming from so many manholes. Most of the steam is created by water in the sewer lines boiling as it comes in contact with the hot steam lines that run through the sewers.

Most of the steam is created by water in the sewer lines boiling as it comes in contact with the hot steam lines that run through the sewers.
    First of all, that is not steam escaping from those manholes, it is hot water vapor, similar to what you see in the bathroom when you take a shower or when you see your breath outside on a cold day. Secondly, those manholes where you see the escaping water vapor are there to provide access to the utility tunnels that contain the steam lines and other utilities. The utility tunnels are separate from the sanitary and storm sewers. Therefore, it would be very difficult for sewer water to come in contact with steam lines.

Retroit Guest

I agree that it is not steam, but water vapor. But for simplicity sake, I decided to continue the use of the term "steam" so as not to cloud the topic. As for why there is vapor: http://www.coned.com/steam/kc_faqs.asp Third question down.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    But for simplicity sake, I decided to continue the use of the term "steam" so as not to cloud the topic. As for why there is vapor: http://www.coned.com/steam/kc_faqs.asp Third question down.
    So, it is not really steam, but more like fog...interesting.
    That site in NYC said there is no natural venting of the steam.
    But when we walked right on top of the vent near cass, by the hydrogen fuel-station, it was warm...

Retroit Guest

Since I may have confused the matter, let me try to clarify. Detroit Thermal generates the steam by boiling water. If this steam is what is being vented out of the manholes, as Mikeg contends, then it is indeed steam. The pipes that carry the steam are located within a larger pipe, or housing http://www.coned.com/newsroom/PDF/St...tionSystem.pdf . When rainwater gets into this housing through the same manhole cover holes that the steam/vapor is vented out of or through leaks in the housing, that water comes into contact with the steam pipes. This heats the water to above ambient temperature which produces vapor, much like when you exhale on a cold day.

These are the definitions of steam provided by dictionary.com
    steam
    –noun

1. water in the form of an invisible gas or vapor.
    2. water changed to this form by boiling, extensively used for the generation of mechanical power, for heating purposes, etc.
    3. the mist formed when the gas or vapor from boiling water condenses in the air.
    4. an exhalation of a vapor or mist.
    And water vapor:
    water vapor
    –noun a dispersion, in air, of molecules of water, esp. as produced by evaporation at ambient temperatures rather than by boiling. Compare steam [[def. 2).
    Last edited by Retroit; May-24-10 at 09:32 AM.

i was driving to work yesterday and noticed a really good steam vent on washington and the lodge exit. as you exit the lodge there's a light at washington. the vent is right in the middle of the road. it was over 80 degrees and the steam was flowing. this area would definitely lend itself to a nice auto photo.