Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Caveat Emptor

Default Caveat Emptor

I would strongly recommend not buying any appliances from Home Depot as they do not stand behind their products when it comes to warranty repairs.

We have a LG washer that is less than 3 months old that will not pump the water out. After getting batted back and forth between Home Depot's sub-contracted repair shop, LG and the store management, it is 3 weeks and counting. The sub-contractor missed two appointments and claimed that my wife called in to cancel one service call saying that "she was going to wash clothes at her friends house". What, for the rest of her life? She asked to set up another appointment and the guy said that he would have to order some parts before he could come out. She asked how he could order parts without looking at the machine and he said " he knew how to fix them, the parts would take about 2 days". My wife said she would call back in 2 days to confirm, and the guy told her "Don't call me, I'm busy and I'll get back to you". Called the store and the sales guy put her in touch with the LG factory service and set up an appointment which they blew off; calls to the LG office get transferred from extnesion to extension and then get cut off. She called the Home Depot store and spoke to the sales guy's Supervisor who said that in another week it would be unacceptable and then he might replace the washer! When my wife indicated that the situation is unacceptable today, he got snippy and passed her off to his boss, who was conviently out of the store until tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am on assignment and can't come home or we would drag that washer out of the basement and deposit it on the Service Desk along with the Home Depot credit card cut into a million pieces...................What is even more galling is that we were dumb enough to buy an extended warranty!

Perhaps this is an isolated incident [[most likely not), but don't say I didn't warn you!

As a side note, my wife is convinced that the service calls are blown off because we live in Detroit [[bought when CoD had residency req't) - Anybody else had trouble getting service calls in the city?

I had just the opposite experience here in NM. Wwe bought an LG washer at Home Depot 2 years ago. 3-4 months after purchase, the lettering started coming off the front panel [[the settings). I called the 800 number from their manual. They took my info and within a few hours, a local service tech called us and came out to replace it. I never had to talk with Home Depot. Unfortunately, the lettering is starting to come off the front panel again but the machine is out of warranty.

Update:

The Home Depot Store Manager got LG to admit that they don't make service calls in Detroit....how about them apples? Perhaps all Detroit residents should boycott LG?

Sounds like old man Conyers and Cheeks-Kilpatrick need to pay a visit to Holder for an investigation into this practice of LG. At least that would be something positive they can do.

CT, come on over and use our washer for the time. You and the Mrs. are more than welcome.

Oh, we're in Henderson, NV. Turn left at I-15.
    Last edited by Ray1936; May-24-10 at 10:05 PM.

Retroit Guest

Does the warranty say anything about not getting service in Detroit?

FYI Bissel carpet cleaners are also horrible. I bought one for $250 from Target, it broke within 6 months. Target told me to take the unit to some independant repair guy, who, of course, had terrible hours a working person could never coordinate with, and was located in a tremendously out of the way location. Stupid me decided to by another new cleaner, the top of the line Bissel for close to $300, which broke after 4 months. I must have only used it about 5 times. It stopped spraying water out the bottom. Target once again would not do anything for me at thier store, and sent me to that horrible shop again.

Next time, I'm buying a Rug Doctor.
    Those cleaners are terribly ugly but they are the best.

Welcome to the NEW world of consumer electronics and appliances...this has been a gradual decline over twenty-five years...but now, with the takeover of most manufacturing by China [[I know LG is Korean, go away, I'm trying to make a point) the one item that has gone by the wayside is what we USED to call Quality Control. I would wager that there isn't even a glyph for that term in Chinese.

It seems to have emboldened LG and Samsung of Korea to take the same tack.

For the most part, Americans are seen as disposable consumers...and I say that clearly as a three-way pun. Firstly, we buy so much we have to throw it away when our basements and garages get full. Secondly, we buy CRAP...shoddily-made goods...because the dealers have largely allowed low-prices to be the driver of the marketplace. The third we will see just after it hits...we are disposable to them as a nation of consumers...as soon as their secondary markets grow enough to replace us.

I said this here many years ago...specifically against this migration of ALL our manufacturing prowess to China...that only a Communist could view labor as a weapon. I am not one, despite the rash and harsh commentary to the contrary from others, but I DO perceive how they could do such a thing.

Our manufacturing might has been exported to a country that does NOT have our best interests in mind.

If any form of trade or other war breaks out, they have our factories...or dies for making parts...and largely our KNOWLEDGE of how to do things.

I overheard two older gentlemen at the next booth over at Opa Opa in Allen Park, talking very loudly because they had both lost some hearing [[so while not eavesdropping it was VERY difficult to ignore)...discussing their time at a Steel Mill downriver. I consider them and their stories the MOST valuable thing we have in our land today, if the excrement hit the fan worldwide [[and it certainly seems some force or forces is attempting to make that happen), these men FULL of wisdom will be the most important people we know.

So...lotsa commentary over some cheaply made appliances...but that's how my mind works.

Go straight to LG with everything, and remind them at every point that we have laws against discrimination. They sold the product, they MUST honor the warranty with as much vigor in Detroit as they would in Beverly Hills.

I already offered to back a woman who has had to put bulbs into her Mitsubishi DLP rear projector, even to small-claims court, because she was never warned in advance there would be a bi-annual $300 maintenance fee for such. To me, it should be a class-action suit, one I saw coming back when the national magazine I was Technical Editor with was reviewing the damn things. I insisted we put the replacement bulb retail cost in every review, something unheard of at the time, because if WE didn't bring forth the dialogue we were as culpable as the retailers and manufacturers who were hiding this dirty secret.

Enough of my rant...good luck making the Korean company do anything they don't want to do. Call me racist...I've been around this stuff for too long to ignore the trends. If this gets resolved without a battle, I will be amazed.

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Update:

The Home Depot Store Manager got LG to admit that they don't make service calls in Detroit....how about them apples? Perhaps all Detroit residents should boycott LG?
    I would file a complaint with the Michigan AG.
    http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...337---,00.html

This might also be of interest to a local news source, as get well as get some bad PR for LG and Home Depot.

Thanks to all for the input - Latest update: The Home Depot Store Manager is insisitng that we give the "too busy" service contractor another try...........incredible!

Set them in their front door, demand a refund, if no joy, get a lawyer. Document everything.

Ct_alum,

Document the SHIT out of every encounter with these bozos.

Start recording every phone conversation, using something that beeps so they will know you're doing so...if not it cannot be used in court.

Use the SAME damn phrase they would on their auto-answering service...how does it go again?

"This conversation MAY be recorded to insure the best service..."

Fuck them hard, and remind them what YOUR hourly rate is for the time you are investing now...for compensation in the future lawsuit. Do this with every conversation from now on...

Good luck. You're going to need it.

Gannon:

I like your style........unfortunately, I am currently out of the country [[In Texas, LOL!). I am planning on a "face to face" with the Store Manager upon my return regardless of the outcome in the meantime. If you hear about a disturbance in the Harper Woods Home Depot, you'll know I made it back.............

Just an aside, try locating the discharge hose above pump level. I had the same problem with my new washer a few years ago, and it turned out that there was a code change or something from the time of manufacture of my previous washer.

Yup me too. Home Crapo sucks.

Next time go to Sears and buy something made in North America.

North America? As in, Mexico? The point of this thread was that Home Depot doesn't stand behind their products, not where the products are made. Thanks for stopping by...............

You got the lettering on your washer replaced under warranty ?

Isn't that a bit anal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    You got the lettering on your washer replaced under warranty ?

Isn't that a bit anal ?
    The lettering is on the control panel, which has 23 separate setting choices for temps, spin, timing, load size and type, etc., as well as 6 different cycle choices. A bit much for my tired mind to memorize.