Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What high school would I have attended?

I grew up on Longacre between Lyndon and Acacia, just down the street from Edison Elementary. I never attended DPS but I graduated in 2000. What high school would I have gone to back then? How about now? I'm guessing it would be Cooley, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cooley is definitely the closest. For some reason I was thinking Redford, because of the GR bus line.

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post
    I grew up on Longacre between Lyndon and Acacia, just down the street from Edison Elementary. I never attended DPS but I graduated in 2000. What high school would I have gone to back then? How about now? I'm guessing it would be Cooley, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    99% sure that was the Cooley district. I was on Prevost just N of Grand River and I was in the Cooley district. I think Southfield was the border for Redford and Cooley. Don't think you could have been Cody either - I would think either Plymouth or Schoolcraft would have been the 'border' for Cody. I went to Edison for kindergarten [[1965-66) then St Marys all the way through after that. My dad threatened to send me to Cooley when I got into some trouble in 9th grade.

Redford. They redrew the district lines in the mid-1990s and the kids from Grandmont were districted to Redford.

In the 70's Kendall was the official cut off btw Dossin and Edison. We used to live on that same block on Archdale, moved three blocks south, btw Kendall and Schoolcraft, but my mom was able to keep us at Edison. That seemed like a much longer walk. Vetal was an even longer walk. The kids on our block and on Longacre near Schoolcraft, who didn't go to Cass, St. Mary's or Renaissance went to either Cooley or Redford, even though Cody was the closest.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; May-22-10 at 11:49 AM.

Cody High School for me, graduated in 2003.

Default Speaking of High School....

Mackenzie High School graduates will want to know:

The Annual All-Years Reunion is scheduled for June 27 - at Hammerberg Field.

For more information; for tickets -or - to make a donation to the organizing committee:

Mackenzie High Alumni Association
    P.O. Box 315
    Detroit, MI 48231