Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fire at the Hampton Manor Apartments

I was driving down Hamilton and came upon the remains of this building... some of it having fallen into the street! I talked to a neighbor that said it was some domestic argument and some kind of gasoline mixture... Seems there was some DTE issue too...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...e-dies-in-fall

Last Updated: May 16. 2010 1:00AM

Man fleeing Highland Park apartment blaze dies in fall

BY TOM GREENWOOD / The Detroit News

Highland Park -- Arson investigators are taking a hard look at a fire that killed one person at a senior citizens apartment complex in Highland Park on Sunday morning.

An unidentified 41-year-old man died after he jumped from the third or fourth floor of the four-story Hampton Senior Citizens Apartments, at Richton Street and Hamilton Avenue.

Firefighters scrambled up a hook and ladder truck to pull survivors from the smoke-choked upper floors of the building, which was gutted.

"I heard a boyfriend and girlfriend argued and then he threw a cocktail," said Dorothy Hudson, who lives across the street from the smoking building.

"When I came out there were all these little kids standing there without any shoes or socks, so I gave them some."

Hudson said the building was inhabited by squatters, including families.

"DTE came out a little while ago and tried to turn off the power, but people threatened to shoot them if they did," Hudson said.

Four young women were arrested at the scene after several of them got into a fight near a Salvation Army relief truck that was parked near the fire.

Smoke from the blaze could be seen from miles away, and firefighters from Highland Park and Hamtramck were pouring water into the gutted building hours after being called to the fire about 9 a.m.

tgreenwood@detnews.com [[313) 222-2023

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0oZS7rFFg

DC48080 Guest