Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default interesting old detroit pic.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1779813...83165/sizes/l/

the banner reads "June 11th-14th 22nd convention world wide Baraca-Philaphea Union. Sun June 13th Bishop Waldorf Preaches at 10:45 am & 7:30 pm."

Photo by "the Morchroe-Ross Co Cleveland Oh"

"First Methodist Episcopal Church"

I just always found it interesting. Excuse that its on the dogs chair,,,sigh... it was the only place i wasnt getting glare

Took me a while to figure this one out, but it appears that the name of the organization on the sign this picture is misspelled. It is, in fact, the Baraca-Philathea Union, which was a Sunday school organization for Methodist teens and young adults. Baraca was for men and Philathea for women. It looks like the organization still exists in diminished form, and provides college scholarships.

Bishop Waldorf was the Methodist bishop of Chicago. The location of the picture though has me a bit stumped.

OK, the reason why I was stumped is because there is no "First Methodist Episcopal" in Detroit, and I can't find any reference that there ever was. And the front in the picture doesn't match up with that of any of the major Methodist churches in Detroit that I could find.

However, you provided a hint that this picture was taken by a Cleveland company. So, I looked a little further, and I think that the location of this photo is the steps of the First Methodist Church in Cleveland. My guess is that this is at the 22nd convention, which may have occurred in Cleveland, looking forward to the 23rd convention which was held in Detroit according to a citation on this website cataloging the archives of the organization: http://ockenga.gordonconwell.edu/ock...arch11to15.pdf [[do a ctrl-f search for "Detroit")

Al, son, you just gotta get a life........

Seriously...good digging.

WOW..... I had to stop and think a spell on that. My hat is off...... Im looking for a lost rich uncle....you available?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...the_street.jpg

Looks like it..... there goes the mystery.......
    Last edited by n7hn; May-20-10 at 09:00 PM.

Ahhh, my mother was a good Methodist Sunday school kid and teen camp leader at Metropolitan Methodist on Woodward, so I had some interest in the subject.

There actually was a "First Methodist Episcopal Church" in Detroit, a small structure at Woodward and Congress, built in 1834. Beginning in 1849, a new larger brick church was built at Woodward and State. This building was destroyed by fire in 1863, and land was bought at Woodward and Adams to replace it. In 1867, the new church was dedicated, Central M.E. Church. http://tinyurl.com/235g7v8 That building still stands, the Central United Methodist Church.

I agree, the building linked in the OP is in Cleveland, not Detroit.

well.... at least it looks like they were really looking forward to DETROIT....lol