Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Just another COMPUTER gripe thread.

Well, my Windows computer locked up and deleted my post so I'll try again -

I'm tired of all the time, money, searching, downloading, updating, and general CRAP involved with Microsoft products when it comes to viruses, malware, spybots, keyloggers, worms, and hackers in general, and you still get hit.

I'm laid off, and can't afford anymore fixes, software, help or just a new OS. [[I'm on dialup and can't process massive downloads). Can the Library allow program downloads to removable drives ?

When I can afford it, it will be Apple. F*ck Microsoft, they lost all of my future business.

In the meantime, Microsoft got extremely rich off of their mandatory OS, and owes the consumers now stuck with it, a complete fix, on a separate disc, instead of tens of thousands of warnings, patches, updates, and downloads. I've been pretty good on things up until a few weeks ago, and have some kind of malware now. [[Not the Conficker worm).

My main problem is Google search redirects, and my computer does not recognize my thumb drives for backups.

I want to open this thread to complaints, suggestions, brand loyalists, and general information about on line software that can help or hurt anyone.

ccbatson Guest

Look at the Mac mini [[599-799), or a refurbished used Mac...you will not regret it.

I might replace my Commodore 64 soon, too.

I have been running Win 2000 Pro for about a year, since the larger HD that I purchased and used in my nearly 10 year old IBM Thinkpad bit the dust and forced me to use the original10 GB HD that it came with. I was running Win XP with the larger HD.

I have never had any problems at all with any Windows OS that wasn't my fault, and I am teaching my newbie neighbor to use the infamous Win ME OS that I installed on an old desktop computer I sold to him.

I must admit that I have never used Vista, since I found out that it is Windows XP with buggy apps and a $39.95 eye candy.upgrade. I also have some experience running Linux and Unix OSes, but I am no expert.

Of course your experiences may differ, based on your browsing habits, and third-party app downloads that you have installed, or have stored on your HD, if any. I haven't paid for anything in years for use in a Windows OS.

ccbatson Guest

Better hurry...leaded fuel is nearly unavailable as it is.

Bigb23, you're gonna' love your mac!

ccbatson Guest

Almost all PC to Mac converts become the most rabid boosters of Macs.

Bigb,

What is your exact configuration [[OS, model computer, etc.)?

Other than the fact that you use dialup, none of us really know. Right now you are sounding like most end users complaining about something not working but not giving enough detail.

The fact that you are using a computer that won't recognize a thumb drive is a bit disconcerting. Also, since you are using dialup I'm sure you're not using a router, which is in essence a hardware firewall among other things. It keeps a lot of crap from floating down to your PC.

Lastly, take a look at where you are going on the internet. Since you are not probably downloading a lot of crap using bit torrent, music, etc. either your dialup has the security of a Thai hooker, or you like surfing to web sites featuring Thai hookers. [[No offense to you or Thai hookers).

I have both been an end user and administrator of Windows based PCs for over a decade, and have only once caught something so bad that I had to reformat my drive, and that was years ago, and my fault.

A router, AVG Free antivirus, and Ad-Aware have kept me safe for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I want to open this thread to complaints, suggestions, brand loyalists, and general information about on line software that can help or hurt anyone.
    I noticed that you have uploaded some uh..interesting images on DYes, and have to wonder what and where you browse and, what third party applications that you may have installed. You also did not mention which Windows OS it is that you are running, I am guessing that it is Vista? Have you downloaded any music, images, and/or video clips from filesharing websites as well??

Flanders,

He is on dialup, so I am going on the assumption that he's not doing too much filesharing, but I could be wrong.

My biggest computer hassle in the past few years has been a networking problem with my elderly parents' Mac. Although I use PCs, we bought them a Mac since my siblings are Mac devotees and praise their ease of use. Maybe this bad Apple experience was an aberration, but my Mac "expert" siblings couldn't debug it for a few months. My PCs on the other hand have been trouble free.

For well-regarded free PC apps, go to http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...tilities.htm#5

Free firewalls, antivir, anti-spyware, utilities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Flanders,

He is on dialup, so I am going on the assumption that he's not doing too much filesharing, but I could be wrong.
    I had dialup as a backup when I was selling heavily on eBay for about a year, and had to check my seller accounts everyday, power failure or not. My landline telephone provider [[AT&T) began to get as expensive as having a broadband connection, due to its toll charges for dialing calls "outside" of my area. [[my phone number for IP internet access was local of course) If I was Bigb, I would construct a rooftop antenna to grab any "free" and unencrypted wireless signals that might be available within range...

BigB- I can relate what you are saying about dial up and Microsoft issues. We recently upgraded to DSL, and I am thrilled with the results. The Mac will probably serve you better if you can do the DSL now.

There is a web site that I have found to be a great help with self fix issues. It's called Bleeping Computer [[bleepingcomputer.com) a bunch! I used it a lot when I had dial-up, and maybe it could help you too.

Islandman -

Bigb,

What is your exact configuration [[OS, model computer, etc.)?
    I'm running an emachine media center, with a 2.2 gig AMD 64 processor, 7 USB, DVD RW+ multi layer, CD write, 300 gig hard drive. 8 in 1 card reader, microdrive, blah blah. Not a heavy user of the stuff available to me. And Windows XP , with the 40 # XP bible that you need to get. The bible does not upgrade. [[Like the real one).

Also, I had the the self described computer god, from across the street, do a little tuning up, years ago, but the problems have only been in the last month or so. AVG would not update, and the squirrely google redirects. In researching, ALOT of people have the same problem, but to run startup logs and post them online, for anonymous help, and line by line editing, seems a stretch.

Just a rant, but any easy help would be appreciated.

Search redirects are generally a result of a virus infection.

If you haven't been able to get rid of the infection through your antivirus or antimalware, download HijackThis [[http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis). Be sure to read the FAQ.

Then post the results at a HijackThis forum [[ such as http://www.hijackthis.de/ or http://en.community.dell.com/forums/...9-ce012fa092f5 )

That's the point of my thread - do we have to have ALOT of regular people correcting the mistakes of a corporate monopoly ? How much do they earn helping the average Joe ? [[Nothing). Yeah, I could upgrade to broadband and download 350 GB of fixes, but does that solve the problem at the head end ? No. They have to have a conscience, maybe import some more visa workers ? [[no they can't find the PROPER workers in the USA), NO MORE MICROSOFT.

Now all I want to do is save some E-mails and pics and start from scratch.
    Any thoughts ?

Back your computer up completely. You should have a copy of anything you care about anyway! Then make your purchase...

Islandman... I too use the free AVG anti-virus software and Ad-Aware, no problems.

You also have to do periodic antivirus system scans just to make sure you have a clean bill of health... just depending on software to prevent incoming viruses doesn't always help.

I also use Earthlink TotalAccess, so they remove all viruses from EMAILs before I even get them [[and they warn me that an infected EMAIL has been marginalized).

I am also enjoying my recent migration to Mac...and marvel at how the Book simply gets out of the way so I can create.

I understand more fully why Mac converts can be SO enthusastic, bordering on offensive evangelical.

I haven't thought about the hardware in over a month. I've gotten more done on this box since then than it seems I got done in three with the PC.

I'm with you...screw Microsoft. My desktop is a Linux device, which my wildly evangelical cousin setup for me last year after a friend gifted me with the computer...in the midst of the horrors I suffered with my laptop and Palm Pilot and Cell Phone.

Open Office provides all I need for writing, calculating, and presenting...enough to get me to totally forget Microsoft's Office Suite.

Mac's Mail program was the final nail in that coffin...I will never suffer Outlook again...and now I won't miss any of the functionality.

Cheers, hope you find peace with your technology...

I'm not even going to Google F*ck Microsoft, on top of the 25,000,000 hits, it will redirect me to a Russian shopping site. Nyet !
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-24-09 at 03:49 AM.

I'm not even going to Google F*ck Microsoft, on top of the 25,000,000 hits, it will redirect me to a Russian shopping site. Nyet !
    I use Spybot BigB...its a free spyware/malware searcher, and it solves the problems...

Did I mention FREE???

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    I use Spybot BigB...its a free spyware/malware searcher, and it solves the problems...

Did I mention FREE???
    That one is free, as well as one of the best ones, Malwarebytes, and Ad-Aware. And Microsoft includes a firewall and Windows Defender with Win XP and Vista.
    Also, Zone Alarm still has a free firewall available.

I've always had my firewall on, and whatever I have has affected the updates on my AVG free. I used to run Spybot and Ad-aware, but they conflicted with my Symentec and AVG. And, online, people say that for the most part, they don't work on the redirects.
    Just a few hackers ruin things for millions of people. I appreciate the advice - keep it coming.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-24-09 at 10:33 AM.

I've always had my firewall on, and whatever I have has affected the updates on my AVG free. I used to run Spybot and Ad-aware, but they conflicted with my Symentec and AVG. And, online, people say that for the most part, they don't work on the redirects.
    Just a few hackers ruin things for millions of people. I appreciate the advice - keep them coming.
    MACs are no longer impenatrable. Security through obscurity had to run out sometime.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12537279/

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast