Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Just another COMPUTER gripe thread.

Well, my Windows computer locked up and deleted my post so I'll try again -

I'm tired of all the time, money, searching, downloading, updating, and general CRAP involved with Microsoft products when it comes to viruses, malware, spybots, keyloggers, worms, and hackers in general, and you still get hit.

I'm laid off, and can't afford anymore fixes, software, help or just a new OS. [[I'm on dialup and can't process massive downloads). Can the Library allow program downloads to removable drives ?

When I can afford it, it will be Apple. F*ck Microsoft, they lost all of my future business.

In the meantime, Microsoft got extremely rich off of their mandatory OS, and owes the consumers now stuck with it, a complete fix, on a separate disc, instead of tens of thousands of warnings, patches, updates, and downloads. I've been pretty good on things up until a few weeks ago, and have some kind of malware now. [[Not the Conficker worm).

My main problem is Google search redirects, and my computer does not recognize my thumb drives for backups.

I want to open this thread to complaints, suggestions, brand loyalists, and general information about on line software that can help or hurt anyone.

ccbatson Guest

Look at the Mac mini [[599-799), or a refurbished used Mac...you will not regret it.

I might replace my Commodore 64 soon, too.

ccbatson Guest

Better hurry...leaded fuel is nearly unavailable as it is.

I have been running Win 2000 Pro for about a year, since the larger HD that I purchased and used in my nearly 10 year old IBM Thinkpad bit the dust and forced me to use the original10 GB HD that it came with. I was running Win XP with the larger HD.

I have never had any problems at all with any Windows OS that wasn't my fault, and I am teaching my newbie neighbor to use the infamous Win ME OS that I installed on an old desktop computer I sold to him.

I must admit that I have never used Vista, since I found out that it is Windows XP with buggy apps and a $39.95 eye candy.upgrade. I also have some experience running Linux and Unix OSes, but I am no expert.

Of course your experiences may differ, based on your browsing habits, and third-party app downloads that you have installed, or have stored on your HD, if any. I haven't paid for anything in years for use in a Windows OS.

Bigb23, you're gonna' love your mac!

ccbatson Guest

Almost all PC to Mac converts become the most rabid boosters of Macs.

Bigb,

What is your exact configuration [[OS, model computer, etc.)?

Other than the fact that you use dialup, none of us really know. Right now you are sounding like most end users complaining about something not working but not giving enough detail.

The fact that you are using a computer that won't recognize a thumb drive is a bit disconcerting. Also, since you are using dialup I'm sure you're not using a router, which is in essence a hardware firewall among other things. It keeps a lot of crap from floating down to your PC.

Lastly, take a look at where you are going on the internet. Since you are not probably downloading a lot of crap using bit torrent, music, etc. either your dialup has the security of a Thai hooker, or you like surfing to web sites featuring Thai hookers. [[No offense to you or Thai hookers).

I have both been an end user and administrator of Windows based PCs for over a decade, and have only once caught something so bad that I had to reformat my drive, and that was years ago, and my fault.

A router, AVG Free antivirus, and Ad-Aware have kept me safe for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I want to open this thread to complaints, suggestions, brand loyalists, and general information about on line software that can help or hurt anyone.
    I noticed that you have uploaded some uh..interesting images on DYes, and have to wonder what and where you browse and, what third party applications that you may have installed. You also did not mention which Windows OS it is that you are running, I am guessing that it is Vista? Have you downloaded any music, images, and/or video clips from filesharing websites as well??

Flanders,

He is on dialup, so I am going on the assumption that he's not doing too much filesharing, but I could be wrong.

My biggest computer hassle in the past few years has been a networking problem with my elderly parents' Mac. Although I use PCs, we bought them a Mac since my siblings are Mac devotees and praise their ease of use. Maybe this bad Apple experience was an aberration, but my Mac "expert" siblings couldn't debug it for a few months. My PCs on the other hand have been trouble free.

For well-regarded free PC apps, go to http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...tilities.htm#5

Free firewalls, antivir, anti-spyware, utilities, etc.

BigB- I can relate what you are saying about dial up and Microsoft issues. We recently upgraded to DSL, and I am thrilled with the results. The Mac will probably serve you better if you can do the DSL now.

There is a web site that I have found to be a great help with self fix issues. It's called Bleeping Computer [[bleepingcomputer.com) a bunch! I used it a lot when I had dial-up, and maybe it could help you too.

Islandman -

Bigb,

What is your exact configuration [[OS, model computer, etc.)?
    I'm running an emachine media center, with a 2.2 gig AMD 64 processor, 7 USB, DVD RW+ multi layer, CD write, 300 gig hard drive. 8 in 1 card reader, microdrive, blah blah. Not a heavy user of the stuff available to me. And Windows XP , with the 40 # XP bible that you need to get. The bible does not upgrade. [[Like the real one).

Also, I had the the self described computer god, from across the street, do a little tuning up, years ago, but the problems have only been in the last month or so. AVG would not update, and the squirrely google redirects. In researching, ALOT of people have the same problem, but to run startup logs and post them online, for anonymous help, and line by line editing, seems a stretch.

Just a rant, but any easy help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Flanders,

He is on dialup, so I am going on the assumption that he's not doing too much filesharing, but I could be wrong.
    I had dialup as a backup when I was selling heavily on eBay for about a year, and had to check my seller accounts everyday, power failure or not. My landline telephone provider [[AT&T) began to get as expensive as having a broadband connection, due to its toll charges for dialing calls "outside" of my area. [[my phone number for IP internet access was local of course) If I was Bigb, I would construct a rooftop antenna to grab any "free" and unencrypted wireless signals that might be available within range...

Too bad that you probably don't know how to use a live Linux CD/DVD with Clam AV, it will scan and remove viruses from a Windows OS while it is not running, but the partition where the OS is located "C" in windows but 1 in Linux, has to be mounted first, and the Clam AV has to be updated from its website.

If he PC will allow him to do so. I think he was saying that it's not allowing him to access his thumb drives, and his CD drive is throwing errors. I don't know if he has an external drive.

ccbatson Guest

He should be able to rescue data files in Safe Mode.

That's true, he might be able to access his CD or thumb drive in Safe Mode, but it won't change the problem with the malware

I did send an antivirus program to you Bigs, did you get it?
    I did find something large in my Yahoo spam folder and started downloading at 1PM. It was still downloading at 4:30 PM, when my connection dropped. I went back and reopened my Firefox session, and started the download again for 45 minutes, then gave up. When the connection dropped, I was at 16 megs of the download. I can't view the email until the file is all downloaded, and I don't know how much was kept ! Sorry.
    Thanks for trying, but I can't do this type at 26.4 kbps DIALUP ! Do you think I can keep trying on what was already downloaded ? I've advertised for some help in my mailroom at the park, but don't know if I can barter anything.

This redirect virus, really sucks. Now I have popups on screen now, and I don't want to try to access my online CU account again, so how can I balance my checking ? Does it read passwords ?
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-20-09 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Bikeforbeer - I left you an IM on here. But I'll try to do what I can here first, before you come up from the 313 area and help.

This thing also keeps opening the My Documents file, and the CPU is running hard. I think if I don't her anything in a few days, I'll have to reformat and lose everything.

Just talked to my neighbor. Her dad, my old neighbor and a wounded WWII vet, died a year ago, she's in chemotherapy, and lost all of her hair, her husband is out of work, she lost two brothers in Vietnam, and I just found out her son now has to deploy to Iraq. Her family has given a lot to this country, and they are not even scraping by.
    Makes all of my problems look smaller in comparison.

Can things please get better ?
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-20-09 at 11:23 AM.

ccbatson Guest

Couldn't be rabies...that is treatable [[not fun, but treatable).

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Couldn't be rabies...that is treatable [[not fun, but treatable).
    Did you check out that link I posted? That's some weird folklore

It was nightmares like this that led me to switching to Mac - and let me tell you I will NEVER own another Windows machine again. Bill Gates and all his GARBAGE have been banished from my house forever. Now instead of spending half of every day running fix-it programs and spending what's left of my 401[[k) on anti-virus software, I just turn my machine on and....it just works. What a concept!!

Here's a link for those of you who are about ready to take a sledgehammer to your PC's. While this short film unfortunately won't provide any technical help or tips or solve your problems, it will provide some humor and possibly stress relief that will bring down your blood pressure so that you can avoid spending money on anti-hypertensives [[not to mention psychiatrists) and therefore save up for a Mac:

http://www.fridaypage.com/images/fri...vistasucks.wmv
    Last edited by EMG; May-23-09 at 09:05 PM.

ccbatson Guest

I did...but I still don't get the "mad stone" reference.

EMG?? Could I bother to ask the origin of your username?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast