Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City Council cut the Police anf Fire Departments.

Of course that should be "and" not "anf".
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...lice-fire-cuts

Of course, showing that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Councilmembers, except Kenyatta, increased their individual office budgets by more than 20%.

I thought those kind of moves left with MonCon, Reeves and Queen Mother Collins. Same old shit, just dressed up a little nicer.

With those priorities demonstrated by the City Council, I vote for a state take-over. Or are they planning to have their staff members walking the beat?

Let me get this straight. We have a city terrorized by generations of criminals, half the city literally burnt down, and these fools said "let's cut the budget for police and firefighters"? There must be a plan for the city to finish itself off and then another movement can come in and clean up. The more things change the more they stay the same. How come no one that actually knows how to run an organization ever runs for government in Detroit? We can blame the voters for who they voted for but they really only have trash to choose from.

Just more reasons to pack up and leave... Bold-faced in your face, wrong priorities. Hope they don't loose a loved one in a house fire as I have!
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Of course that should be "and" not "anf".
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...lice-fire-cuts

Of course, showing that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Councilmembers, except Kenyatta, increased their individual office budgets by more than 20%.

I thought those kind of moves left with MonCon, Reeves and Queen Mother Collins. Same old shit, just dressed up a little nicer.

How come no one that actually knows how to run an organization ever runs for government in Detroit?
    Anyone with half a brain knows better than to take that office.

Well stated. This does not do well toward the idea of new business moving in or citizen relocating to Detroit either. Some even born in the city just want OUT at this point. Now that basic life and death services are being dismantled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Let me get this straight. We have a city terrorized by generations of criminals, half the city literally burnt down, and these fools said "let's cut the budget for police and firefighters"? There must be a plan for the city to finish itself off and then another movement can come in and clean up. The more things change the more they stay the same. How come no one that actually knows how to run an organization ever runs for government in Detroit? We can blame the voters for who they voted for but they really only have trash to choose from.

... the Detroit City Council decided to keep the cut in place today, anticipating a veto from Mayor Dave Bing....

Council President Charles Pugh said the council is trying to show “a pattern of fiscal responsibility” of meeting its target to cut $30 million from Bing’s proposed 2010-11 budget.
    Even if they were certain of a veto, it seems irresponsible to do it just for appearances. It feels like something's missing from the story.

Jimaz your right something is missing from the story. It should have read a bunch of fools acting like councilmembers voted to cut police and fire budget.

neighbor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post

Source? I don't see that in the article.

I was watching the city council meeting this week, where they were discussing the Mayor's request for the budget to be cut by 1.2 million, as he will be doing the same in his dept. Most of them, the newly elected anyway, treated this request like some kind of joke, like there is no possible way they could manage this feat.

Council members are assigned different committees and submit different contracts for approval. I read the meeting agendas almost everyday, and I know you all would freak out at the amount of money being used for shit that absolutely places well behind police and fire on the "needs" scale. How about over a million dollars to drive the elderly [[the largest voting block) around town? Or continuing to fill positions in less priority departments after the Mayor froze all hiring? Or hundreds of thousands in settlements for people hurt by police and city workers?

There's talk around town about a supposed recall effort against Pugh, Jenkins, and two others [[no sure which two) regarding the approval of several no-bid contracts. I've never seen the petitions, but there has to be a reason why there's talk.

I think if more people were aware of where their tax dollars were going, they might actually light the flame under the pot, and make these people more accountable. I'm not a Bing cheerleader, so he's not off the hook either. Police and fire have both been hit badly in the last 10 years, Bing needs to step up and call the council out, before the Detroit summer slaughterfest goes into full swing.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; May-21-10 at 09:19 PM.