Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default This Humble little boat...

Just passed by the office..

http://www.charterworld.com/news/yac...johnson-pj-150

bound for the Mediterranean Sea

the fisherman took a break to watch it glide past...so did my office

Good to know some people are enjoying the High Life

Miller High Life

What? Just a little Palmer-Johnson craft. Wake me when a Cunard-made ship passes through.

Too much plastic.

Great post. Thanks for the pics. About 9 years ago I was walking my dog on Belle Isle and an equally large yacht came downbound from Lake St. Clair. It was white and red, if I recall accurately. Quite a sight. I think I recall it's port was Toronto. I was unable through various sources to ascertain it's exact name and point of origin. I assumed it was brand new from PJ or Marinette. As much as I love the freighters, it's nice to see something different. I've had some really cool boats, but my largest and best would be a very humble dinghy/runabout for this one.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What? Just a little Palmer-Johnson craft. Wake me when a Cunard-made ship passes through.
    Actually Cunard does not make ships; they are a cruise line. They do not build the vessels. Much the same way as Delta is merely an airline; they do not build the planes.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Actually Cunard does not make ships; they are a cruise line. They do not build the vessels. Much the same way as Delta is merely an airline; they do not build the planes.
    I had heard a Cunard company built Bill Gates' yacht. I wonder if it's the same as the Cunard lines or a different firm.

A PJ that can be seen quite often cruising around lake St.Clair or parked at the GPYC. Elena Ford's 131ft Unity.

South Florida is the super-yacht capitol of the US. Lots of 90-180 footers here.

I have never been jealous of the super-rich as they are far beyond my imagination.

Now the dirty, blood-sucking plutocrat who has a boat two feet longer than mine..........

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post

Now the dirty, blood-sucking plutocrat who has a boat two feet longer than mine..........
    that is just fantastic LOL thanks for the laugh today

Most unique boat I've ever seen was owned by a client on the NE side, they had a condo on Lake St. Clair...because of the boat slips.

They had what appeared like Popeye's Tugboat...it was a houseboat built on a double-hull that could beach standing upright...and ran on a diesel that might max out at 6 knots!

Two-story job, but it had full two-bedroom/bath accommodations, and a full kitchen with nearly a formal dining room for entertaining.

They brought it all the way from the manufacturer down in Florida, up the East Coast, and down the St. Lawrence Seaway...at six knots! I cannot imagine that.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Great post. Thanks for the pics. About 9 years ago I was walking my dog on Belle Isle and an equally large yacht came downbound from Lake St. Clair. It was white and red, if I recall accurately. Quite a sight. I think I recall it's port was Toronto. I was unable through various sources to ascertain it's exact name and point of origin. I assumed it was brand new from PJ or Marinette. As much as I love the freighters, it's nice to see something different. I've had some really cool boats, but my largest and best would be a very humble dinghy/runabout for this one.
    It was super cool to see something besides freighters [[which I happen to find interesting as well) when this Yacht was gliding by we broke out the telescope to get a good look at it...very impressive and sleak and extra expensive looking
    It was very sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    South Florida is the super-yacht capitol of the US. Lots of 90-180 footers here.
    I've seen some of those close up at dockside. They're so huge that the only way to look at them is to look straight up. They're like ocean-going buildings. Crazy.

I had heard a Cunard company built Bill Gates' yacht. I wonder if it's the same as the Cunard lines or a different firm.
    Sorry, but Bill and Melinda do not do yachts. But, Bill's co-founder of MS, Paul Allen, is into super-yachts bigtime. [[1) 198' Meduse [[2) 303' Tatoosh and [[3) 416' Octopus - that has it's own 80' submarine onboard. Wife and I saw Tatoosh off Bonaire, NA in 2008 and could not believe it was his second largest yacht. It could not dock in the harbor until a cruise ship pulled out first.

And [[again - see post #6 above) Cunard does not build yachts.

I was two-steps removed from the ex-head of ARCO, who was with Michael Milkin's Global Crossing at the time, when I lived in LA. [[my girlfriend was the CFO of his son's telecom, and previously worked as a lobbyist for him at ARCO)

He had the uber-yacht bug...bought two additional houses on some exclusive island [[Balboa?!) not far from Newport Beach just because THEY had the bigger berth...as he got larger and larger ones he ran out of space to park 'em.

You can see some doozies in Chicago, too. All these folks are in another world.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-20-10 at 04:15 PM.

Come down to the Ft Lauderdale Boat show in October or the Miami Beach Boat show in February. They have sixty or seventy of them lined up along the docks and all for sale. You have to provide your Dun & Bradstreet rating to the broker's booth babe to get on board though. I have a friend who is a yacht captain [[110') who tells them he is looking at boats for his owner [[big oil and natural gas guy) and he gets me on board to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    It was super cool to see something besides freighters [[which I happen to find interesting as well) when this Yacht was gliding by we broke out the telescope to get a good look at it...very impressive and sleak and extra expensive looking
    It was very sexy
    Unfortunately, the day I saw the yacht cruising downbound from Lake St. Clair, I had no binocs or telescope. And I only caught it from a great distance, so I was unable to catch [[or remember?) the name. Anyway, it was huge and appeared brand new. I think Belle Isle is still a premier boatwatching location. Around the same time I caught CGC Mackinac coming downbound from Lake St. Clair one day. I was stumped at what she was because she was red. For whatever reason, I had always thought of her in all - white. I was on her at Dieppe Park for a tugboat race - back in the 80's. She must've been fresh painted - as beautiful as fresh snow. I'll see if I can find photos to post.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-29-10 at 12:07 PM.

That was July 1982 in the morning before the tugboat races.

That's the old Holiday Inn in the background, before she burned and was demolished.

Mackinaw. Mackinaw.

This might've been the yacht I saw that day on Belle Isle. Clelia II was a former private yacht.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-29-10 at 12:06 PM.

Hah! You know your stuff... I too love the old Cunard steamers and the history of those and other related lines of ships. Indeed seeing one of those would be a scene down the river! No Cunards but you might enjoy local "lakers" and international ships trivia etc. here: boatnerd.com

That's true. Thanks for the clarification...
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Sorry, but Bill and Melinda do not do yachts. But, Bill's co-founder of MS, Paul Allen, is into super-yachts bigtime. [[1) 198' Meduse [[2) 303' Tatoosh and [[3) 416' Octopus - that has it's own 80' submarine onboard. Wife and I saw Tatoosh off Bonaire, NA in 2008 and could not believe it was his second largest yacht. It could not dock in the harbor until a cruise ship pulled out first.

And [[again - see post #6 above) Cunard does not build yachts.
    Paul Allen and one of his yachts. When it comes to Ft lauderdale it uses the cruise ship piers and not the mega yacht piers.

http://travellingboard.net/wp-conten...llen-yacht.jpg

http://travellingboard.net/wp-conten...llen-yacht.jpg

Go ahead and call me jealous, but seriously, look at the above pic and forget what it is. Anybody with any taste whatsoever realizes that tub is just ugly. Looks like they started with a hull and just kept stacking stuff on top of stuff. Ugly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast