Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Somethin' Runnin' in the River

I'm not sure what, but thirty little fishing boats clamoring for a good spot in the center of the river between Hart Plaza and the RenCen cannot be wrong...

...but if it's got my old friend Buddy lookin' at ways to change the order of his day, and gave an early-morning Dave at Foran's that slightly depressed dreamy gaze...

...then I know it must be worth the effort.

Fishermen giving us another confirmation that spring is indeed here!

Cheers

Serious muskie jigging time in the Detroit River. I had no idea until I read that Michigan Out of Doors magazine.

I am completely jealous that they are out there and I am in here working....its no fair they are taunting me but on the other hand it does make for a pretty view happy to see them out there

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm not sure what, but thirty little fishing boats clamoring for a good spot in the center of the river between Hart Plaza and the RenCen cannot be wrong...

...but if it's got my old friend Buddy lookin' at ways to change the order of his day, and gave an early-morning Dave at Foran's that slightly depressed dreamy gaze...

...then I know it must be worth the effort.

Fishermen giving us another confirmation that spring is indeed here!

Cheers

Most likely in search of Mr. [[And Mrs.) Walleye. The run is just ending and the fish have a voracious appetite post spawn.

The Detroit River between Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie is one of the best fishing locations in the entire seaway. I have had some amazing experiences, including limiting out on White Bass in less than an 90 minutes last weekend. None of them were smaller than 12 inches either. Great fishing in clean water! Gotta love it!!

while we are talking about fishing...I need to learn how to fish and I dont know where to go. I know its very pathetic that at 30 and living in Michigan my whole life I do not know how to fish. My father LOVED to go fishing and tried to get me to love it too, but being the stupid kid that I was I wanted nothing to do with it and mostly sat and saulked when we went out. Now he is gone and I very much wish I would have listened to him and payed attention.

Any advise on how to learn to fish?...I pretty much have the casting part down but nothing else. I dont know when to use a Lure or a worm. I dont know one fish from another or how to get them off the hook.

Last summer my daughter begged me to take her fishing so I finially took her, except I bent the hook so she wouldnt catch anything since I wouldnt know how to get it off the hook and release it ...I have failed as a parent LOL

I'll see if Buddy wouldn't mind giving a little 'clinic'...some decent basic instructions. You and your children would probably enjoy it as much as he would!

He had been watching a particular type of tree these past weeks, though, said when it bloomed the muskie would be thick.

Obviously I haven't been paying enough attention, heh.

But you're right, this is merely more old-school behavior we've largely forgotten at the end of a century of cheap oil. Long as there are plastic-wrapped and bar-coded fish in the stores...Foran's still has it on the menu...then we've little incentive to get our fingers wormy.

Cheers, I took a picture, if I can get it to upload...

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    while we are talking about fishing...I need to learn how to fish and I dont know where to go.

Some tips:
    1. You need a fishing license in Michigan. $15/yr for residents.
    2. Try the RiverWalk behind the RenCen. Bring a pole, and ask another fisherman about their technique... most that I've met have been very willing to teach and share bait/tackle. I've had luck with silver bass using a simple hook & worm & sinker near Hart Plaza.
    3. Ask the local fishing experts at http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.php?showforum=5. Try searching the forums for "kids". It's very similar to the detroityes experience, but for outdoorsmen.

Wintersmommy, check out the Michigan DNR website. They have a ton of information about what types of fish there are in Michigan. They also have information about people new to fishing, as well as tips on where to go and how to get started. I'm not sure if their clinics are listed online but they do host those quite often too.

DNR: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr
    Fishing: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...364---,00.html
    Types of fish: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...3908--,00.html

Thank you for the info!! I am going to get serious this year and finally learn to fish because who knows how long I have before the girl turns into a version of my former self and wants nothing to do with it anymore.

I have often thought about just fining someone on the piers at Belle Isle or along the river and asking them to teach me a thing or 2

Thank you for the info!! I am going to get serious this year and finally learn to fish because who knows how long I have before the girl turns into a version of my former self and wants nothing to do with it anymore.

I have often thought about just fining someone on the piers at Belle Isle or along the river and asking them to teach me a thing or 2
    How old are your girls? From my experiences teaching at Fishing Camp [[yes there is such a thing), girls under 10 generally get excited about it, and if they catch anything they will be hooked [[pun very much intended) pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    How old are your girls? From my experiences teaching at Fishing Camp [[yes there is such a thing), girls under 10 generally get excited about it, and if they catch anything they will be hooked [[pun very much intended) pretty easily.
    My girl is 9...she got the fishing bug about 3 summers ago at the state fair when she caught 3 fish in a row at the DNR pond. She also "caught" the brim of a mans hat last year which made me think I needed to get the child some lessons before she actually hooked a person!
    I am going to look for some fishing camps this summer, I am all motived right now

You may also consider trying Metro Beach's canal/pier. Stoney Creek is another good spot to learn.