Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Remembering Slain Youth Jerean Blake - Age 17

Does anyone have an info on the funeral arrangements? I am not finding much online or in the news...

http://www.daylife.com/photo/07trfVEaUI2hd?q=Detroit

http://www.freep.com/article/2010051...then-is-killed

Je'Rean's funeral is at 10 a.m. Monday at Triumph Church on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit. Besides a eulogy for her son, Cargill wants an end to the violence.

Thank you for this information....
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbookhound View Post
    Je'Rean's funeral is at 10 a.m. Monday at Triumph Church on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit. Besides a eulogy for her son, Cargill wants an end to the violence.

Default Slaying victim [[Je'Rean Blake) called 'forgotten child'...

http://www.freep.com/article/2010052...Aiyana-tragedy
    Slaying victim called 'forgotten child' in Aiyana tragedy

Posted: May 21, 2010

BY JOE SWICKARD
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A grievous tale of street-corner bravado, bullets and tears was played out as Chauncey Owens was arraigned Thursday afternoon in Detroit's 36th District Court in the fatal shooting of Je'Rean Blake a week ago.

Prosecutors say Owens, 34, killed Je'Rean, 17, because of dirty looks and mouthy retorts."Yeah, he didn't back down, but he's a 17-year-old kid," sobbed Je'Rean's cousin Yvonne Johnson. "A grown man doesn't have to come back and kill him."

The lethal face-off on Mack near St. Jean was the engine driving the train of events that ended with the death Sunday morning of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

Police stormed the Jones home looking for Owens, and the child was killed with a shot from a police gun.

After Magistrate Millicent Sherman ordered Owens held without bond on a first-degree murder charge pending a June 1 preliminary examination, Je'Rean's family said the teenager has been swept aside in the swelling grief over Aiyana.

"He is the forgotten child," said Carol Conner, his great-aunt.

She said that Owens also bears the blame for Aiyana's death.

"He should have been man enough to turn himself in," she said.

Johnson wept outside the courthouse that Je'Rean "is gone for nothing" and Michigan's mandatory sentence of life without parole is not enough.

"He needs to get the death penalty," she cried. "He needs more charges."

Contact JOE SWICKARD: 313-222-8769 or jswickard@freepress.com

Many of us won't forget Je'Rean. His loss is just as tragic as the little girl's. So was the loss of the grandmother killed by a stray bullet.

Retroit Guest

You gotta be killed by a white guy to achieve Black Martyrdom.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I can feel my brain cells dying as I read this post.

Default All Life Is Precious

The grandmother, the 17 year old boy, the honor student, the 7 year old, the cop, all of them had family and friends who will have an unbridgeable gap in their lives. I've had some family and friends who were suddenly and unexpectedly ripped from this life and it's a huge blow. It knocks the wind out of you and there's no quick recovery.

We cannot measure the tragedy of a death by the standard of whether or not it draws the sustained attention of the media or lawyers or politicians. Sometimes politics and the law direct more attention to some deaths than others, but all of them were victims of a toxic culture of violence that has gripped Detroit. May has been a heartbreaking month in Detroit.

We hope for better things.

Hmm, let's see

Malcolm X was killed by a bunch of Black guys and achieve Black Martyrdom.

Tupac Shakur was killed by a Black guy and achieve Black Martyrdom.

The Notorious B.I.G was killed by a Black guy and achieve Black Martyrdom.

Not to be praising those who have been murdered but who said a White guy have to kill you to make you a martyr?

Wonderfully stated. AMEN!
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    The grandmother, the 17 year old boy, the honor student, the 7 year old, the cop, all of them had family and friends who will have an unbridgeable gap in their lives. I've had some family and friends who were suddenly and unexpectedly ripped from this life and it's a huge blow. It knocks the wind out of you and there's no quick recovery.

We cannot measure the tragedy of a death by the standard of whether or not it draws the sustained attention of the media or lawyers or politicians. Sometimes politics and the law direct more attention to some deaths than others, but all of them were victims of a toxic culture of violence that has gripped Detroit. May has been a heartbreaking month in Detroit.

We hope for better things.

Well if not martyrdom for sure a different amount of media attention and indignation.

I just map quested it... the church is not too far from the Humane Society off the 1-75 service drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbookhound View Post

A sad occacion, but could we keep this in one thread?

OK, I will post the information over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    A sad occacion, but could we keep this in one thread?

Je'Rean's Blakes funeral is at 10 a.m. Monday, May 26th at Triumph Church on 2760 East Grand Boulevard in Detroit.

...The church is not too far from the Humane Society off the 1-75 service drive.

Default Who Attended The Funeral...

I went to Je'rean's funeral yesterday. It was a very difficult, yet very dignified service. Two media sources were there as where two police squad cars but there were not incidents or disruption. To my surprise Sam Riddle was there seating behind the pulpit! He spoke about the unfortunate reality of "two" Detroit's: the good and the bad "ass" Detroit [[his words from the pulpit!) and how we must resolve end the crime.

Riddle also referenced that he was on his way to jail remorsefully. He also made two controversial short comments regarding the broad issue of police misconduct relating that a a point to Aiyana and people needing to do what was necessary to keep the police "out of their house!". He should know! DPD Warren Evans and mayor Bing looked on while these comments were made. This was met by applause strangely enough.

Also in attendance from what I could see was city counsel member Kwame Kenyatta. Ex-counsel person Tinsley-Talabi. Horace Sheffield officiated the service. Mayor Bing spoke briefly and as I stated Warren Evans was there. Some staff from Southeastern High School were in a attendance as well -- two spoke beautifully on the life of Je'rean had the impact he made at the school.

The schools ROTC guard [[of which Je'rean was a member) was present as well as well as many Southeastern Students.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-25-10 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks for the report, Z. So sad and tragic.