Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Prison Valley, A web Documentary.

Interesting and extensive interactive site covering the Prison Industry in America and in CaƱon City Colorado...Including info on the Corrections Corporation of America, a company that stands to make 100 dollars per day per "illegal" in Arizona....

http://prisonvalley.arte.tv/?lang=en

Very well done but a very depressing subject.

The information about for-profit prisons lobbying legislatures and bribing judges to create more inmates serving longer sentences was revealing. Note that the resulting injustices would be paid for with taxpayer dollars.

Another industry at the government's teat.

Michael Moore's last movie had a segment about for profit prisons.

Very well done but a very depressing subject
    To which I would add, a very expensive subject. When are the Tea Party Nutjobs going to start picketing prisons?

The teabaggers won't complain about taxpayer dollars paid to fund the incarceration of fellow Americans because they're conditioned to believe that those Americans deserve incarceration regardless of facts. That's how and why they're being conditioned to obey in that way.

What concerns me is "for-profit prisons lobbying legislatures and bribing judges to create more inmates serving longer sentences." This suggests an incentive to find more innocent people guilty and people being found more guilty than their actual crimes warrant in order to simply enhance profits.

There is nothing just about this profit-driven movement.

Instead of pointing our fingers at China, we need to look at our own prison labor force.

Let me get this straight. Judges are in cahoots with private prison contractors, locking up innocent people for financial gain? Can't even make this stuff up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html
    "...the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care..."

I don't know how prevalent this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Let me get this straight. Judges are in cahoots with private prison contractors, locking up innocent people for financial gain? Can't even make this stuff up.
    Good find Maxx.

Here's another article on the same subject

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29142654/

Sstashmoo, I get a sense from your posts that "authority" figures don't "game" the system. I know you think that sort of activity is confined to the poor and the powerless among us... and oh yea liberals !

So I will try to bring enlightenment when I see statements such as you wrote.
    But then again maybe you were kidding and I just didn't get it.