Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Charlie LeDuff nominated for nat'l journalism award

Try to be nice now, y'all . . .

An April '08 profile of legendary photographer Robert Frank [[The Americans, classic 1958 book) by Charlie for Vanity Fair is one of seven newly announced nominees in the Best Profile / Traditional Media category of the third annual Mirror Awards honoring excellence in media industry reporting.

Winners will be announced in June in NYC by Syracuse University's Newhouse School of Public Communications, my alma mater.

Charlie's magazine piece, 'Robert Frank's Unsentimental Journey,' is based partly on a trip he made with Frank to Pingyao, China, where the photographer/film director was honored at a photography festival. It's here:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...04/frank200804

Reflects well on The News, IMHO, to have a journalist of this caliber . . . though I respect that his amped-up style and me-ness tendencies don't suit everybody's taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    Reflects well on The News, IMHO, to have a journalist of this caliber . . . though I respect that his amped-up style and me-ness tendencies don't suit everybody's taste.
    Well said; congrats to Charlie and The News. The arguments over his work on this forum are some of my favorite threads to read. We have some very discerning readers among our ranks. I'm sure this will be another good long fight.

I believe that his writing is good, even lyrical. It's his attitude and ego, and a bit too much borrowing, that annoys me.
    Using "Travels With Charlie" really put me over the edge.

Just something I noticed....

You know how when a newspaper article has to continue on another page, the continuation-headline is something that is somehow representative of the story? Like "see Schools, page A4" or "see General Motors, page D12."

I noticed that pretty much every single one of Charlie LeDuff's articles "continuation headline" is his last name. Not sure if that's something that he influences, but it just adds to my "Charlie LeDuff loves himself just a little too much" opinion.

LeDuffs work is sort of a combination of Charles Kerault and Diane Arbus. Homey down to earth approach to some really startling and at time uncomfortable portraits of his subjects, and by default of the reader.

And yes - these debates over his work are very valuable, and personally have helped me finally find proper appreciation for the dudes work.

If the shit hes laying down had no power, none of us would be puzzling over any of it.

The rest of the local media folks should be taking note, if they are not already.

And I am completely satisfied that the raccoon hunter story was absolutely legit. Like I said before, no editor at DetNews would run such a similar topic if Charlies story had not already been in the pipe. LeDuff might have gotten scooped on getting to press with it, but his approach to the story wasnt at all the same anyway. In the final analysis, it was merely coincidental in the simplest sense of the word.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    And I am completely satisfied that the raccoon hunter story was absolutely legit. Like I said before, no editor at DetNews would run such a similar topic if Charlies story had not already been in the pipe. LeDuff might have gotten scooped on getting to press with it, but his approach to the story wasnt at all the same anyway. In the final analysis, it was merely coincidental in the simplest sense of the word.
    Here we go again...

YO Ruxy!

Could be that the headline editor has long ago given up on trying to summarize him in title haiku.

It is merely about ease in following text, and certainly most people know who they are reading when they get to one of his.

So the guy has ego...we only notice THAT because of our own.

Cheers!

" noticed that pretty much every single one of Charlie LeDuff's articles "continuation headline" is his last name. Not sure if that's something that he influences, but it just adds to my "Charlie LeDuff loves himself just a little too much" opinion."

The papers do that with columnist. It's stardard. Neal Rubin's jump page is always headed with "Rubin," for example. Do you really think Charlie would go over to the copy desk and be all "hey, let's put my name really big on the jump page." Come on.

Thank you!

Three things.

1. If you look back over the last year, you have to laugh at those interviews with Monica Conyers and Sam Riddle.

2. No matter how anyone feels about it, if not for him that dead body would still be in the warehouse, it would just be stuck in water now instead of ice.

3. I want to see Hold The Onions with Conyers, Ken Cockrel, L. Brooks and Barbara Rose-Collins [[And she has to wear the tiara).

Blarf Guest

Journalism must have some pretty low standards.

Congratulations to LeDuff. If you hate his stuff, save yourself the heartache, and the .50 cents - don't read it.

In fact you should pay yourself .50 cents every time you don't read Charlie Leduff. If Charlie writes two features a week, thats 24 pieces a year, meaning that you can pay yourself $12 bucks for not reading.

Sounds fair.

Meanwhile, congrats to LeDuff and people who like colour in their newspaper. I know beige is the rage, but I hollar for color.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Congratulations to LeDuff. If you hate his stuff, save yourself the heartache, and the .50 cents - don't read it..
    agreed. congrats, and well earned.

Max Ortiz who did the photographic work for that warehouse piece should win an award for photojournalism.

"beige is the rage"

Thanks, Gnome. Heya, when are you coming around again? Been too long...

Personally I find his writing a bit corny, but still, that is great news for the News. Plus, exposing more people to Robert Frank is always a bonus- his work is absolutely exquisite. Congrats to all.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Mauser, honey,....you see the errors of your ways. I am so gratified that you have reread and seen that LeDuff is a good writer, great for Detroit,......

I am happy to read the fact that he is getting recognized for the Robert Frank piece. It was a good read and I found myself fascinated my Frank's life, work and history. just checking in late in the night,........

Thanks for allowing me to transcend my prior transgressions Stikine

I am not sure if people understand how huge the Robert Frank piece is - simply amazing. People in the arts community are flipping out.