Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Over 15 New Retailers, Restaurants, Offices, & Bars Open on Lower Woodward Avenue

With new office tenants coming to Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park, there are a ton of new coming soon signs all over Downtown, and others that have opened within the past year.

• Sinful Sweeties, 7 Sins of Chocolate - a new chocolate and pastry shop in the Kresge Shops has more items for purchase, and I believe do cakes now. - OPEN NOW!
    • Chez-Zara - a small place selling hummus, Italian espresso, desserts, breads, fresh greens, and a lot more. I stopped by and Aaron, one of the managers gave me some things to dry, they were amazing! - Opening Memorial Weekend. Chez-Zara is in the Kresge Shops, and Aaron mentioned that they will have an outdoor patio, adding some life to Woodward.
    • What Appears to be two clothing stores is in the Kresge Shops, one of which has an awful lot of Ralph Lauren racks.
    • In addition to the new 5 and 10 Bar, there is a 5 and 10 Diner opening with a full selection of very reasonably priced sandwiches, as well as malted milk shakes, soda, and desserts.
    • There is a new Insurance Agency with a cute little "coming soon" sign in the window, that has taken the place of the bail bonds place on Woodward. As I was taking my picture, Terry the owner ran out, thinking I was making fun of her sign, as other passerbys had done. I insisted I was not, and told her I was posting about her shop on DetroitYES.com. HI TERRY!.
    • There is a new bar in the FYFE Building, and a new Bar-B-Que place opening right behind it in the smaller building on West Adams.
    • There is a new legal aide and services place in the upper floors of Studio Couture and the Red Rose Flower Shop on Woodward.
    • There is also a new fresh produce store opening nearby on Washington Boulevard, more on that later.
    • New awnings for the new Fountain Cafe are up, and work is being done in the former Au Bon Paine cafe in Campus Martius Park.
    • There is a Tim Hortons now open in the Compuware Building.
    • Several people who work in a couple of the above mentioned shops have told me that Bleu may be reopening, or opening as some sort of event venue.
    • I am told that a well-known pizza place has signed a lease agreement for the Kales building, and still plans on opening this year.
    • There are some new street vendors on Woodward at Grand Circus Park selling African collectibles, and some scented oils, as well as a new vendor coming to the Campus Martius Park area, also opening Memorial Day weekend, selling small jewelry, necklaces, and accessories for the young ladies. More on them later too.
    • A slushy place appears to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    • Two other jewelry and accessory boutiques appear to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    • A new wine shop has opened on Campus Martius Park.

Everyone appears to be smaller, but the owners and workers were all very nice, and I am excited to see the foot traffic this Summer. I do fear that some of these places may not survive without major anchors, but still it is good to see after the rash of closings we had. Unfortunately, there are roughly 50 vacant storefronts that still take up most of lower Woodward between Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius Park, and the Vinton Building, as well as the Fowler Building have reportedly gone into foreclosure, and may now be for sale again, the plans of which fell through, I am guessing.

Pictures coming later tonight....
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-18-10 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Grammar and typos. Sorry, this was written very hastily.

Thanks, DetroitDad! Can't wait for the pics.

Was there any one event that sparked all this activity? What, are banks suddenly lending more again? If so, why?

Most of the vacant storefronts along Woodward are huge. They are not botique size, but large stores like you would find in a mall. The problem is that the retail district isn't ready to support those types of stores. Hopefully the Kresge shops will do a lot to help this. After Kresge builds out, I think a similar thing could be done with the David Whitney building, and maybe with more expensive shops. Hopefully large retailers can fill those large empty storefronts in between, and a department store can be incorporated into the Hudson's block. This is possible within the decade.

BTW, I saw people working in the Kales building [[what we are calling the "Shields" spot), so there must be some new activity.

This is VERY good news. We have recently seen a significant uptick in activity in our domestic business. Personally, I think things are about to take off. And, it looks like Detroit MAY have turned the corner. Here's hoping and a prayin'

Whatever happened to the Crepe Ladies? They sounded like pioneers to me. Did they survive?

According to the Kales facebook fan page, Shields has continued construction--that is as of last week.

Thanks for the news, DetroitDad. Good news for Detroit, IMO.

It's lookin like downtown is the place to be this summer. Thanks for the happy post Ddad. It's been gettin pretty bleak around here on DY lately....
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; May-19-10 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks for the uplifting news DD!

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    According to the Kales facebook fan page, Shields has continued construction--that is as of last week.
    Looked like just a clean up crew not actual construction. Seemed like they were there just to get rid of the mess.

Still love the sign

"Shields coming back to detroit summer of 2007"!!!!!

What? Why are there all these restaurants opening downtown? Don't they know that downtown Detroit is a cesspool where nobody works, all the buildings are vacant and there isn't a single employer? Where roving packs of homeless wander all day? If they were smart, they'd locate in our beautiful suburbs, which never have any problems and are filled with promise! Don't they understand that Detroit is on the way down and will never, never, ever return? What a waste of resources!

[END SATIRE]

Two new signs on lower woodward too. Zef's Coney Island and Lmenage? Supposed to be a convienant store going in where the sporting goods store was. lots of stuff on tap in midtown and corktown too.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Looked like just a clean up crew not actual construction. Seemed like they were there just to get rid of the mess.

Still love the sign

"Shields coming back to detroit summer of 2007"!!!!!
    Yeah, that is what is looks like, but according to them:

The Kales Building Thinks it's great that SHIELD'S PIZZA has resumed construction of the retail space on the ground level of the building!

No date has been sent for their grand opening, but, we'll keep you posted!!!

Monday at 3:13pm ·

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    Whatever happened to the Crepe Ladies? They sounded like pioneers to me. Did they survive?
    Good Girls Go to Paris closed the tiny service window shop but are still open in the much larger, walk in and sit down space in the Park Shelton Apt. building. A little far for my lunchtime walk, but a new hot dog place has opened in the old space, yum.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Good Girls Go to Paris closed the tiny service window shop but are still open in the much larger, walk in and sit down space in the Park Shelton Apt. building. A little far for my lunchtime walk, but a new hot dog place has opened in the old space, yum.
    Yes it has, I just went there the other day and they were some good dogs. Lou knows how to make em!

DetroitDad Guest

Sorry, I know I said I would try to get these up last night, but I took them with my camera phone, and had to send them to my E-mail, and it ended up being a whole process. But, I always do something when I say I am going to do it now.
    Attachment 6139

Attachment 6140

Attachment 6141

DetroitDad Guest

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.

Attachment 6142

This is the sign for the new Fountain Cafe in Campus Martius.

DetroitDad Guest

Default New Street Scape Decorations on John R and Woodward

These new obelisks have bronze plaques on them engraved with a map of Downtown Detroit.

Attachment 6159

Attachment 6160

Attachment 6161

DetroitDad Guest

Default Work Begins at Bleu, Former Telenews Theater

Attachment 6162

Attachment 6163

Crews give the old Bleu Room Experiance a much need paint job. Originally [[I think) the Telenews Theater, the building was converted into an adult entertainment venue in the 80s and then a foreign arts venue. Finally, The Bleu Room reopened as Metro Detroit's premier entertainment venue for live techno and electronic music and fashion shows in 2000, until popularity waned as Bleu began to become run down, and eventually closed in 2009.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-22-10 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Picture Edit

Great news! Nice to see some business choosing to operate in the city...
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    With new office tenants coming to Campus Martius and Grand Circus Park, there are a ton of new coming soon signs all over Downtown, and others that have opened within the past year.

• Sinful Sweeties, 7 Sins of Chocolate - a new chocolate and pastry shop in the Kresge Shops has more items for purchase, and I believe do cakes now. - OPEN NOW!
    • Chez-Zara - a small place selling hummus, Italian espresso, desserts, breads, fresh greens, and a lot more. I stopped by and Aaron, one of the managers gave me some things to dry, they were amazing! - Opening Memorial Weekend. Chez-Zara is in the Kresge Shops, and Aaron mentioned that they will have an outdoor patio, adding some life to Woodward.
    • What Appears to be two clothing stores is in the Kresge Shops, one of which has an awful lot of Ralph Lauren racks.
    • In addition to the new 5 and 10 Bar, there is a 5 and 10 Diner opening with a full selection of very reasonably priced sandwiches, as well as malted milk shakes, soda, and desserts.
    • There is a new Insurance Agency with a cute little "coming soon" sign in the window, that has taken the place of the bail bonds place on Woodward. As I was taking my picture, Terry the owner ran out, thinking I was making fun of her sign, as other passerbys had done. I insisted I was not, and told her I was posting about her shop on DetroitYES.com. HI TERRY!.
    • There is a new bar in the FYFE Building, and a new Bar-B-Que place opening right behind it in the smaller building on West Adams.
    • There is a new legal aide and services place in the upper floors of Studio Couture and the Red Rose Flower Shop on Woodward.
    • There is also a new fresh produce store opening nearby on Washington Boulevard, more on that later.
    • New awnings for the new Fountain Cafe are up, and work is being done in the former Au Bon Paine cafe in Campus Martius Park.
    • There is a Tim Hortons now open in the Compuware Building.
    • Several people who work in a couple of the above mentioned shops have told me that Bleu may be reopening, or opening as some sort of event venue.
    • I am told that a well-known pizza place has signed a lease agreement for the Kales building, and still plans on opening this year.
    • There are some new street vendors on Woodward at Grand Circus Park selling African collectibles, and some scented oils, as well as a new vendor coming to the Campus Martius Park area, also opening Memorial Day weekend, selling small jewelry, necklaces, and accessories for the young ladies. More on them later too.
    • A slushy place appears to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    • Two other jewelry and accessory boutiques appear to be opening in the Kresge Shops.
    • A new wine shop has opened on Campus Martius Park.

Everyone appears to be smaller, but the owners and workers were all very nice, and I am excited to see the foot traffic this Summer. I do fear that some of these places may not survive without major anchors, but still it is good to see after the rash of closings we had. Unfortunately, there are roughly 50 vacant storefronts that still take up most of lower Woodward between Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius Park, and the Vinton Building, as well as the Fowler Building have reportedly gone into foreclosure, and may now be for sale again, the plans of which fell through, I am guessing.

Pictures coming later tonight....

Good stuff. Anyone been to the new hot dog stand that took over the window space Good Girls used? I like all the street food carts I've been seeing around lately. Sometimes you just want something quick and cheap for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Good stuff. Anyone been to the new hot dog stand that took over the window space Good Girls used? I like all the street food carts I've been seeing around lately. Sometimes you just want something quick and cheap for lunch.
    I went on Thursday..it was clean, the son and daughter of the owner were working and both of them were very friendly. I had the special 2 dogs, chips, and a pop for 5.00 cant beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I went on Thursday..it was clean, the son and daughter of the owner were working and both of them were very friendly. I had the special 2 dogs, chips, and a pop for 5.00 cant beat it.
    I have had it too, definitely worth checking out. When I went a man name Lou [[assuming he is the owner) was working the place. Very nice person.

DetroitPole Guest

Thank you for the report, DetroitDad. One of the most useful threads around here for a while. You are a true Detroiter.

After 2008 or so the handful of retailers hanging on in lower Woodward seemed to die off. I was worried downtown was making a return to the 1980's. Now we are seeing some glimmers of revival.

These are such odd spaces, one wonders what we can do with them. People in Metro Detroit don't function properly without ample, free parking for retailing.

Detroit is a shot and a beer kind of a town and Metro Detroit has to be one of the least dry places in the United States. Midtown has some great bars, but they aren't really walkable, same with Corktown. What if lower Woodward downtown was barhop central? So maybe I'm four beers deep on a Monday night but come on.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Thank you for the report, DetroitDad. One of the most useful threads around here for a while. You are a true Detroiter.

After 2008 or so the handful of retailers hanging on in lower Woodward seemed to die off. I was worried downtown was making a return to the 1980's. Now we are seeing some glimmers of revival.

These are such odd spaces, one wonders what we can do with them. People in Metro Detroit don't function properly without ample, free parking for retailing.

Detroit is a shot and a beer kind of a town and Metro Detroit has to be one of the least dry places in the United States. Midtown has some great bars, but they aren't really walkable, same with Corktown. What if lower Woodward downtown was barhop central? So maybe I'm four beers deep on a Monday night but come on.
    Although Detroit could use more of everything, I don't think bars will be the saving grace of the lower Woodward retail district. What we need is RETAIL. If there were stores open, people would shop there. Simple as that. No magical mystery here. If rents were affordable on those spaces, they would be filled, I guarantee. The problem is failed policies, slumlords and bad planning, not lack of demand for retail or lack of parking.

There are more parking spaces Downtown than there are people. If stores are worried about parking, they should advertise free validation at one of the million parking garages Downtown.

Not to mention, if retail was properly clustered on Woodward, people could park once and then walk around and shop.

Also, I disagree that bars in Midtown aren't within walking distance. Within a few blocks of Cass Cafe at Cass Ave/Forest Ave you can go to the Majestic, the Bronx, Motor City Brewery, Union Street, Starts Bar & Grill, Lefty's Lounge, Circa Saloon, 3rd Bar, among others. I don't think walkability is an issue, I think laziness is an issue. Residents of our region are chronically lazy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast