Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default NPR: Remaking Michigan, Retooling Detroit

Surprised no one has posted or that I could not find a thread on this recent NPR series--

NPR: Remaking Michigan, Retooling Detroit

"Michigan, the national leader in recession, depends on an auto industry that will never be as big as it was. So how does the Detroit area diversify? Who's hiring, or investing in something new? Morning Edition reports on Detroit's desperate race to replace the jobs that the automakers eliminate."

Retroit Guest

I've got news for them: There are not many businesses that are doing good right now. What could we possible diversify into? Toilet paper making? Casket manufacturing? It amazes me that people think that temporary conditions are permanent. Isn't that how we got into the "buy a mortgage that you can't afford because home prices always increase" mess that we are currently in? What has replaced the automobile? Nothing. People will resume their purchase of them in due time, and then the auto industry will "be as big as it was".

Gotta love Richard Florida, with his thinly-veiled contempt for the working class.

It wasn't all contempt -- there was love for Detroit too.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103412267

city leaders, entrepreneurs, need to start attracting various assortment of businesses to the city, including green-industry and high-tech related companies.. start siezing all of this abandoned, vacant and quasi-vacant land and start rezoning it for different uses..

Detroit needs to be way more greener than it used to be.. more forest areas.. farms, including partnerships with local schools to train students.. people have to look outside the box, especially urban detroiters, the long-held assumption is that smokestacks equals civilization...

Probably the one thing that bothered me the many is that the stories didn't originate in Detroit [[WDET) but were datelined Ann Arbor [[WUOM).