Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default John Conyers, Jr. Again?? NO!

Who is running against John Conyers for Congress? This man is feeble minded 86 yrs old and should be voted out of office. At this time we all need good representation in Washington before this country goes down the drain because of Obama and the Dems. Isn't there an honest man that can show Conyers up for what he is and take his seat in Washington?

Does anyone know if he and Dingell are grooming successors? That was my critique of Teddy Kennedy... some of these powerful Congressmen think they'll always be here, and when something happens, a power vacuum occurs.

I think Mr. Conyers "groomed successor" is headed to prison next month....

^ Well that's that I guess.

LOL. I can guarantee that even if John Conyers retires no candidate even remotely associated with the teabagger movement will get elected. In fact, you should try your luck on the more moderate conservative districts. Hopefully the infighting between moderate conservatives and the loons behind the teabagger movement will allow a Democrat to eek out a victory. It's going to happen in the Florida senate race, why can't it happen here?

actually, she might be the "groomed Successor"

http://boykinsformisenate.com/?page_id=4

running for MI Senate 2nd...

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Does anyone know if he and Dingell are grooming successors? That was my critique of Teddy Kennedy... some of these powerful Congressmen think they'll always be here, and when something happens, a power vacuum occurs.
    Well in Dingle or Conyers' situation, one would need power before there is a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Who is running against John Conyers for Congress? This man is feeble minded 86 yrs old and should be voted out of office. At this time we all need good representation in Washington before this country goes down the drain because of Obama and the Dems. Isn't there an honest man that can show Conyers up for what he is and take his seat in Washington?
    can you give me any proof that he is feeble-minded? or dishonest?

no? didn't think so

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    LOL. I can guarantee that even if John Conyers retires no candidate even remotely associated with the teabagger movement will get elected. In fact, you should try your luck on the more moderate conservative districts. Hopefully the infighting between moderate conservatives and the loons behind the teabagger movement will allow a Democrat to eek out a victory. It's going to happen in the Florida senate race, why can't it happen here?
    The mental image of a teabagger trying to establish residency and run for office in Conyers' district is hilarious in a Lovecraft-in-Brooklyn sort of way. Far too much melanin in those parts for that ilk no matter how hard they hold their noses.

DetroitPole Guest

I believe John Conyers needs to go, if only because of how bad the state and his district has gotten under his watch. This goes for the likes of Dingell and all the entrenched encumbants, too. I realize it isn't all their fault, but they sure didn't try to steer the state in a different direction over these past decades. His wife issue is a whole 'nother can of worms, more than enough for me to distrust him. If the dude is gay [[which is generally accepted on the street as fact already), he might as well come clean before he kicks it. The city elected Pugh and J. Conyers would still get re-elected even if he outed himself.

However, "before the country goes down the drain because of Obama and the Dems"?? Yeah, because the country was fucking fantastic during Bush/Cheney. Can't resist injecting any discussion, even one with the potential to be intelligent, without pissing out some dittohead shitbomb you heard from some talking head on Fox, can you?
    Even if Conyers got the boot, it would still go Democratic without a single doubt in hell, so channel your stupidity in some other direction.

Conyers will win in that district until he retires or dies. It's just that simple. He has been one of the most popular politicians in Detroit for decades. And while I may not agree with everything he says or does, unlike a lot of our politicians I have seen no evidence that he is either feeble-minded or corrupt. In fact, he has spoken up over and over again in the face of sure defeat against many of the national economic and political trends that have left this city and area in such distress.

In any event, when he does go it is a sure thing that another Democrat will be elected for that seat, since that's an 80 to 90% Democratic district.

Anyone who is 86 years old needs to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well in Dingle or Conyers' situation, one would need power before there is a vacuum.
    If you're implying neither has had power, particularly Dingell, may I suggest a little more studying.

From what I'm told by the Conyers camp, Boykins is indeed the "groomee," and her running for the state senate is just her stepping stone.

Now that is scary. Boykins is a full time, 100% trip.

Well folks, look to see Conyers and Thad McCotter to be thrown into the same district once reapportionment is completed. Michigan will certainly lose one seat, maybe two, and you can bet that CCK's 13th isn't going away due to its pure democratic lock status.

If the 14th inches westward it could make a marginly republican seat a truly democratic one.

With the dems retaining power in the House, the reapportionment issue could again land in the Supreme Court before a compromise is reached. The Court is now effectively in Democratic control and the Republicans will agree to almost anything inorder to keep the issue off the docket.

The last time through the Michigan lost one seat, and the squeeze was put on John dingle and Diane Byrum [[?) to fuse their districts. This time the full hurt can't come from the Metro area is we lose two seats so expect one from here and another on the west.

Either way, we only have two years of Conyers to endure.

"The last time through the Michigan lost one seat, and the squeeze was put on John dingle and Diane Byrum [[?) to fuse their districts."

Lynn Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Who is running against John Conyers for Congress? This man is feeble minded 86 yrs old and should be voted out of office. At this time we all need good representation in Washington before this country goes down the drain ***********because of Obama and the Dems. Isn't there an honest man that can show Conyers up for what he is and take his seat in Washington?
    Yeah, I agree with your post up to the part before the asterisks. I'm no big fan of Obama and the demicans, but you [[conveniently??) ignore the previous 8 years of republicrat wars, which were off budget, gigantic tax cuts for 1/10 of 1% of the populace, and complete deregulation of everything, including stuff the demicans couldn't dream up in their totally emasculated state. If it's up to the republicrats, they'll send this country 'down the drain' with the demicans begging to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Now that is scary. Boykins is a full time, 100% trip.
    Yeah she is. Definitely of the old school "civil rights" mindset. She's a big supporter of the unions, and her backround is in healthcare. I'm not sure about how well she would represent her constituency, but no one with any real cred is running against her, so it looks like she stands to take 2nd district. She has some really talented people working for her though [[thank God).

Strangely, I now like Conyers. He might be old but he has shown real growth over the years. He used to just do a racist type rant. Now, he has mellowed and seems to recognize all of his constiuants share the same concerns.

I even pity him for his bad choice in marriage.

What scares me is CCK getting re-elected. Her son is seriously morally defective and she doesn't appear much better. Vote for Hansen!

amazing the dummycrats continue to fall back on the "its george bush's fault" line regarding the shit state of our national economy, but don't flinch an inch to consider that the state and the city of detroit have been dummycratically run into the ground, the state for the past 7 years and the city of detroit for the past lifetime....

with strong democrat successes like the state of michigan and the city of detroit, no wonder dummycrats are shoe-ins here!!!! who WOULDN'T vote for them????

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    amazing the dummycrats continue to fall back on the "its george bush's fault" line regarding the shit state of our national economy, but don't flinch an inch to consider that the state and the city of detroit have been dummycratically run into the ground, the state for the past 7 years and the city of detroit for the past lifetime....

with strong democrat successes like the state of michigan and the city of detroit, no wonder dummycrats are shoe-ins here!!!! who WOULDN'T vote for them????
    Look, if you're going to direct something at me, don't be passive aggressive about it. I'm right here.

I did "flinch an inch" regarding the leadership of Michigan, if you would have bothered to read my post. Except it applies to both Democrats and Republicans in this state. They are all entrenched and act like it is the early '70's.

Democrats, however, have extra baggage answering to the unions and having a lot of strength [[and complacency) in the state.

Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. You used some variation of "dummycrat" 3 times. You must think you're so clever.

Novine,

thanx for the correction.

Goose,

dummycrats is as silly as rethuglicans. Using such terms shows the writer is closed-minded and unreasonable. Your central point that a Democratic lock on a district is unhealthy is worthy of debate, but your method of childishly degrading the opposition guarantees that others will close their eyes to your point.

Michigan will lose one seat in Congress after this year's census just as the state has after the
    1970, 1980,1990 and 2000 census. Lynn Rivers from Ann Arbor was the congresswoman
    who was redistricted out after Census 2000. John Dingell's district was extended to the
    west to include Ann Arbor. There will be interesting conflicts in Lansing after next April 1
    when the redistricting process starts. Carolyn Cheeks Kirkpatrick may find herself representing many more suburban residents.

detroitsgueneviere, I believe you deliberately misunderstood me. Liv is a nice woman but fully incapable of the job as Congressperson for the great state of Michigan in that district. It would be every inept Detroit politician rolled into one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast