Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    neighbor Guest

Default Red light. No problem.

I wouldn't say I am on the road a lot but when I am driving it is usually within the city limits. Over the course of a week I probably see 7-8 people running red lights.

It is small things like this are part of what needs to change. The mentality that since it's in Detroit it doesn't matter. You can just run that red light or smoke that joint out in the open. Nobody is going to do anything about it.

If cops actually gave a crap and popped people for running reds maybe they would find that they wouldn't have to invent new reasons like texting and being mexican for pulling people over.

Despair breeds apathy. New York City addressed the problem in the Times Square area with "quality of life" strict enforcement of laws pertaining to loitering, drug use and sales, unlicensed vendors, etc. Important to note, though, that this followed a commitment to invest a lot of money, from private enterprise and the City.
    Last edited by Bobl; May-16-10 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    I wouldn't say I am on the road a lot but when I am driving it is usually within the city limits. Over the course of a week I probably see 7-8 people running red lights.

It is small things like this are part of what needs to change. The mentality that since it's in Detroit it doesn't matter. You can just run that red light or smoke that joint out in the open. Nobody is going to do anything about it.

If cops actually gave a crap and popped people for running reds maybe they would find that they wouldn't have to invent new reasons like texting and being mexican for pulling people over.
    Well, in defense of the red light runners, there are many intersections around the city where a traffic signal really isn't necessary anymore [[IMO). Off the top of my head, there's...

-Lycaste & Jefferson
    -Linnhurst & Schoenherr
    -Chalmers & Canfield
    -Bringard & Hoover
    -Clairpointe & Freud
    -Van Dyke & Frederick
    -Mack & Concord [[I believe)
    -Alter & Waveny [[I have no idea if they took that one down yet).
    -Palmer & Van Dyke
    -Harper & Concord
    -Sylvester & Van Dyke
    -Charlemagne & Conner
    -Temple & Third

Though I find it hard to believe even in Detroit just ayone would run a red light [[unless they were making a right turn) at a busy intersection and during peak traffic hours. Besides being unlawful that's just asking for a visit from Death.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-16-10 at 10:53 AM.

Are they being really RUN through, or are you seeing those who stop and consider them as mere stop signs during the low-traffic hours?

And, are they part of a short-series of lights that are horribly mis-timed?

If so, then I am guilty of both, and eagerly willing to continue. If I am ticketed, I will gladly take the fight to court.

As far as I know, former Mayor Archer's executive order that stoplights could be treated at four-way stops downtown afterhours, if one felt uncomfortable stopping and waiting for nothing, still stands as far as I know. It has not been rescinded, so I'll take my chances using it as defense. It has already gotten me OUT of two tickets so far, but one was when he was in office.

As far as those who wantonly blow through them...we should enforce the law to the fullest extent. But they are NOT simply running stoplights, they are driving recklessly...a harsher offense, if I remember our fabulous point system correctly.

Cheers!

neighbor Guest

No, I am talking about pretty well traveled streets. Cadieux and Chandler Park, Cadieux and Warren, E.Outer Drive and Warren, Mack and Conner.....at all times of the day.

I am always on the lookout for a beat up P.O.S. going through an intersection just after my light has turned green.

I was stopped at East Outer Drive with a friend and the light turned green and as soon as he said "the light is green" someone went right by me at full speed down Warren without a care in the world.

I don't even want to get in to the new yellow arrow for left hand turn lanes. Those things are horrible. You never know if it is going to turn red or green after the yellow arrow.

It's real bad when it puts pedestrians and cyclists in danger. I hate the right turn rollers who think they can just cruise through the red because they aren't crossing the whole intersection. The photo enforced traffic lights seem to work quite well. Just watch the fines pile up after one of those gets installed. The technology is capable of paying itself off in a few days after installation.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Are they being really RUN through, or are you seeing those who stop and consider them as mere stop signs during the low-traffic hours?

If so, then I am guilty of both, and eagerly willing to continue. If I am ticketed, I will gladly take the fight to court.

As far as I know, former Mayor Archer's executive order that stoplights could be treated at four-way stops downtown afterhours, if one felt uncomfortable stopping and waiting for nothing, still stands as far as I know. It has not been rescinded, so I'll take my chances using it as defense. It has already gotten me OUT of two tickets so far, but one was when he was in office.

As far as those who wantonly blow through them...we should enforce the law to the fullest extent. But they are NOT simply running stoplights, they are driving recklessly...a harsher offense, if I remember our fabulous point system correctly.

Cheers!
    Why would you take it to court? If the light is red when you drive through it, you're in the wrong. I don't care what former Mayor Archer's decree might have been. It's the law, Gannon.

Running red lights is a real problem. Check out this YouTube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=-qvXbIenivk

The pedestrians and scooter riders take a beating.

Neighbor... I too notice that on the far east side.... at the Moross & I-94 Service Drive lights... I see someone running a red light every time I drive thru that intersection... every time!!!

Gannon, as to your "mis-timed" lights situation... you better get used to that. I see more and more intersections in metro Detroit with computerized traffic lights. If there is no traffic at certain intersections, the time duration from red-green-red can be as short as 10 seconds. It all depends on the traffic that the computerized lights sense...

Is this a Detroit thing really? I rarely see people run lights in the burbs even in the shady parts of Warren.

Cheers!

I'm sorry, but you can't justify that excuse. People treat reds as four-ways all the time and people get killed. You can say, "well I'm very careful and always look!" But there will be the ONE time you slip up and hit someone. It always happens.

Someone did that here in Chicago and hit a cyclist who was wearing all black and had no lights.....which I recall those safety features you being against as well Gannon. Still, driver at fault. The driver ended up paying a huge lawsuit for injuring the cyclist, lost his license, got dropped from his insurance company, and was caused a bunch of unnecessary hardship having to move closer to work. A complete life changer because this asshole couldn't wait just 10 more seconds....the accident literally ruined this guys life.

I can agree 100% with you the lights are terribly timed in Detroit, and many are unnecessary or difficult to even see due to poor maintenance. But you made a choice to live and drive in this city, and you can either follow the rules or leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Is this a Detroit thing really? I rarely see people run lights in the burbs even in the shady parts of Warren.
    Patrick, it even happens in the sunny parts of Warren!

I've seen it happen in the burbs as well as Detroit... but much more rarely so.

Got pulled over in Highland Park, Woodward & Glendale, last week on my way to see Ernie Harwell. It was a yellow light, but I hear it's the same thing. Well if the $106 helps Highland Park in some way, I guess I'm fine with it.

In my defense, it's not like a sped up or anything like some a-holes do, I was doing 30 [[stupid construction) and made it thru fine!

...then I had a dream last night I went to jail for three months for running another red light, what a nightmare!

I would also like to comment on the increasing trend of blowing off stop signs, turning right on red just as traffic is coming, and turning out onto someone the next lane over which scares the frick outa me!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; May-16-10 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well, in defense of the red light runners, there are many intersections around the city where a traffic signal really isn't necessary anymore [[IMO). Off the top of my head, there's...

-Lycaste & Jefferson
    -Linnhurst & Schoenherr
    -Chalmers & Canfield
    -Bringard & Hoover
    -Clairpointe & Freud
    -Van Dyke & Frederick
    -Mack & Concord [[I believe)
    -Alter & Waveny [[I have no idea if they took that one down yet).
    -Palmer & Van Dyke
    -Harper & Concord
    -Sylvester & Van Dyke
    -Charlemagne & Conner
    -Temple & Third

Though I find it hard to believe even in Detroit just ayone would run a red light [[unless they were making a right turn) at a busy intersection and during peak traffic hours. Besides being unlawful that's just asking for a visit from Death.
    You could write to the council for that. Detroit is cash strapped and a few lights less saves bucks. Just an orange blinker might be sufficient.

Default Running Red Lights

I often hesitate at green lights now because so many people are running red lights. I see it a lot on E. Jefferson. Another thing I've noticed is that many people aren't using turn signals. I guess we're supposed to read their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee000 View Post
    I often hesitate at green lights now because so many people are running red lights. I see it a lot on E. Jefferson. Another thing I've noticed is that many people aren't using turn signals. I guess we're supposed to read their mind.
    The red light runners on E. Jefferson in Detroit are out of control! Every light you stop at someone ALWAYS goes through the red, it's very dangerous!

The problem is Whitehouse, that council really has no say in them. The bigger problem is calling the city, having them tell you the light is operated on a county road that the county maintains. So you call the county, and they tell you it's on a city road, and you need to call the city.

I've called for over five years to have them adjust the timing on Evergreen and Fenkell. The light at Fenkell has been mistimed for the five years since they installed the left turn land. Crotch rockets go by on the sidewalk. People drive into the left turn lane, pretending to turn left, then shoot over and make a right turn across the stopped traffic.

This is on the 6th precinct busiest and most immediate thuroufare, to points north, and its been like this for over five years.

Gannon, you shock me! I consider you to be one of the smartest and most rational guys out here, yet you sound like that punk Kwame on this one. The law is unfair to me so it doesn't apply.

Poorly timed lights isn't a Detroit thing, its a Michigan thing. Drives me nuts too, but its no excuse to break the law.

Smart and rational exactly applies to what I said I do here.

Y'all read more into my words than what I wrote.

I drive around the city in the wee hours of the morning, regularly. When I said LOW TRAFFIC HOURS, I meant it. There are MANY times when I drive around and will not see one car in our ghost-town of a city center.

When I'm downtown, especially driving up Michigan Avenue towards Corktown, and get hit with those lights between Campus Martius and the Lodge bridge, especially that silly-ass one in the middle of Griswold and Washington Boulevard...absolutely and without a second thought, that stupid one is immediately merely a stop sign to me.

I will not wait for even thirty seconds for it. If I get pulled over, I will invoke Mayor Archer's executive order, and see if I can get away with it for a third time.

Another peeve is that light on Congress just before Woodward...after five thirty or so, it should be flashing yellow...there is NO reason for it to function after the offices let out. Same with that one further down just before the entrance to the Lodge...where Third Street intersects, I think. EVERY TIME, it is merely a stop sign to me.

Other intersections between two and six in the morning?! Same thing. Four-way stops to me. Who is going to sit and wait mindlessly at some stoplight...looking at empty streets for as far as the eye can see?!

Do you WANT us all to become easy pickings for the increasingly desperate individuals who are preying on those who are not being diligent with their surroundings?! You go ahead and wait for the light to change...when there is NO traffic anywhere around.

I am hyper aware of everything around me when I drive. I won't be running down any pedestrians or bicyclists...or even that wheelchair-bound idiot who was rolling along in the middle of Cass Avenue last summer.

So, please stop your admonishments...the rest of my post was VERY clear. If he WAS talking about folks who actually blow through stoplights, then they should not simply get a ticket for running a light, they should get a reckless driving citation as well.

I am not reckless...unless someone really does some bozo thing and I have to get in front of them to not be part of their accident. I consider it justified recklessness for the purpose of survival, in that case. Then it is back to the speed limit in the right hand lane...moseying along under the radar again.

I'd say I'm doing pretty well. I average roughly FIFTY THOUSAND miles per year...what does that yield, nearly five times the national average? I believe I've had ONE ticket in six years, then perhaps one in the five before that.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-17-10 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Is this a Detroit thing really?
    Hell no! I see people run red lights in Seattle all the time, especially during rush hour. It's stupid and dangerous, especially where pedestrians absolutely have the right of way, and [[equally stupidly) often don't check for cars before stepping into the intersection, because they know the law is on their side. I call it symptoms of impatience and road rage. Most of the major intersections here have cameras, and cops are quite attentive, but they risk it anyway.

One night, I was about to walk across a quiet intersection. I had the green light, and the walk signal, and a taxi cut me off turning left. If I hadn't been paying attention, he would have run me down. As soon as I was on the other side of the street [[not even on the sidewalk yet) another car swerved out in a right turn. I had just enough time to wonder why everyone was trying to hit me, before that vehicle popped the blueberries and cherries on, and pulled over the offending cab. It was a surreal moment: I hadn't even noticed him, and obviously the cabbie hadn't either. It pays to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Hell no! I see people run red lights in Seattle all the time, especially during rush hour. It's stupid and dangerous, especially where pedestrians absolutely have the right of way, and [[equally stupidly) often don't check for cars before stepping into the intersection, because they know the law is on their side. I call it symptoms of impatience and road rage. Most of the major intersections here have cameras, and cops are quite attentive, but they risk it anyway.

One night, I was about to walk across a quiet intersection. I had the green light, and the walk signal, and a taxi cut me off turning left. If I hadn't been paying attention, he would have run me down. As soon as I was on the other side of the street [[not even on the sidewalk yet) another car swerved out in a right turn. I had just enough time to wonder why everyone was trying to hit me, before that vehicle popped the blueberries and cherries on, and pulled over the offending cab. It was a surreal moment: I hadn't even noticed him, and obviously the cabbie hadn't either. It pays to pay attention.
    I saw the same thing in Chattanooga a few years ago. On a road with a 45 MPH speed limit that has a school zone -15 MPH when flashing. Noone dared exceed 15 MPH when the lights flashed, huge fines there for that. I had a good laugh- was in a parking lot in that zone when the lights flashed. Watched incredulously at each stoplight cycle how many cars 'ran' the yellow/red light at 15 MPH.Some even almost stopped before proceeding through.
    Same area now very few run red lights now. New money maker for cities. A private company installs, monitors, maintains and tickets the cars at no cost to the city. The city gets a part of the revenue. A car owner gets a ticket in the mail with a very clear picture of the light/car going through, and who was behind the wheel. No points if paid promptly, good luck contesting the ticket in court, if you or a family member is behind the wheel.

The light that drives me insane is at Cadillac and Vernor. In the 15 years I have been driving that way, I have made that light 2 times. I stop, I wait, but I never see any traffic on Cadillac.

If I drive Jefferson, I always check my rear view mirror before stopping at a red. Been rear ended a few times, but the people do the hit, then keep going any way.

Michigan Guest

I'd say I'm doing pretty well. I average roughly FIFTY THOUSAND miles per year...what does that yield, nearly five times the national average? I believe I've had ONE ticket in six years, then perhaps one in the five before that.

Cheers!
    I call BS on this one. That is approx 150 miles a day, everyday, 7 days a week. You don't have a job, so that doesn't compel you to drive, you are driving that old Audi, which must have about 600,000 miles on it at this rate, and you are always biking and walking everywhere. I sense a certain artistic license here.

Most of my adult life, I have lived outside of Michigan. Much of the time was spent in the Virginia suburbs of DC, the suburbs of Norfolk, and the Ft Lauderdale area of Florida. Every time I return to SE Michigan to visit family, the traffic in Michigan is like heaven. The Detroit area does not have traffic problems! You guys do not know what traffic problems are really like. SE Florida is ground zero for red light runners and mistimed traffic lights. Most in the Detroit area have some idea of how to drive a car..

Sounds like the city's budget problems could be helped by a shipment of those red light cameras! They're all over the place, just not in Michigan as yet.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast