Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fire near Davison and the Lodge Sunday morning

Anyone know what's on fire near Davison and the Lodge, 9:30 A.M Sunday morning?

DC48080 Guest

A huge apartment building on Hamilton. I believe it is the Hampton Manor apts.
    Last edited by DC48080; May-16-10 at 04:01 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Man dies jumping from Highland Park apartment blaze

BY TOM GREENWOOD / The Detroit News

Highland Park -- One person was killed and four persons were arrested at a fire at a four story apartment complex this morning at Hamilton and Richton.

According to reports, the fire was called in at about 9 a.m. and may have been started by a fire bomb after a woman and her boyfriend argued in the Hampton Senior Citizen Apartments complex.

One person -- described as a 41-year-old man -- died after he jumped from either the third or fourth floor of the red brick building. Smoke from the blaze could be seen from miles away and firemen were still pouring water into the gutted building at 1 p.m.

"I heard a boyfriend and girlfriend argued and then he threw a cocktail," said Dorothy Hudson, who lives across the street from the smoking building. "When I came out there were all these little kids standing there without any shoes or socks so I gave them some."

Hudson said the building was inhabited by squatters, including families.
    "DTE came out a little while ago and tried to turn off the power, but people threatened to shoot them if they did," Hudson said.

Four young women were cuffed and arrested by police after a fight broke out near a Salvation Army relief truck parked near the fire. The Hamtramck Fire Department responded to the fire as part of a mutual aid agreement with Highland Park.
    tgreenwood@detnews.com [[313) 222-2023

Another gem doomed. The building had potential.

But losing a building is not as bad as the loss of life....

Looks like the roof is already gone.

Some pictures from 4:30 this evening, looks like a complete loss to me.

If I am not mistaken, I think on that corner was a drug store and it belonged to Billy Pierce's Dad .Billy was a pitcher for the White Sox at one time?? I might be wrong but I remember it was somewhere on one of those corners. He went to Highland Park High.

"Hudson said the building was inhabited by squatters, including families.
    "DTE came out a little while ago and tried to turn off the power, but people threatened to shoot them if they did,"

I swear to God, the inmates are running the asylum.

Photos from 11:30-12 today
    http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4422

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    If I am not mistaken, I think on that corner was a drug store and it belonged to Billy Pierce's Dad .Billy was a pitcher for the White Sox at one time?? I might be wrong but I remember it was somewhere on one of those corners. He went to Highland Park High.
    I'm pretty sure that Pierce Drugs was on the corner of Tyler & Hamilton.

I rode past the building around 5 PM yesterday [[Sunday). The fire was still smoldering and the fire department was still working on it. That was a huge fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    "Hudson said the building was inhabited by squatters, including families.
    "DTE came out a little while ago and tried to turn off the power, but people threatened to shoot them if they did,"

I swear to God, the inmates are running the asylum.
    I have had the same feeling all weekend There is a certian level of crazy going on right now that is beyond my comprehension

"I swear to God, the inmates are running the asylum."

That's the first thing I thought about, Ray and Winter. I guess I'll stop paying my bills and see what happens.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I have had the same feeling all weekend There is a certian level of crazy going on right now that is beyond my comprehension
    Totally and completely agreed. The events of this spring are just mind-boggling, and the hot summer isn't even here yet.

A little clip from today's Detroit News.

Part of senior apartment collapses following fire
    A senior citizen apartment building that caught fire over the weekend, killing a resident, has partially collapsed. That forced officials to close part of Hamilton on Tuesday. The collapse occurred Monday night at the Hampton Senior Citizens Apartments. There was no word on when the building would be razed. A man, 41, died after jumping from the third or fourth floor of the four-story building at Richton and Hamilton.

http://www.detnews.com/

Wow! Some how I missed this thread... I'd wandered why it did not seem like anyone had posted about it hear. Very sad and started by some disgruntled "boyfriend". Ugh. I hate the thought of living in an apartment for just such reasons...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Another gem doomed. The building had potential.

But losing a building is not as bad as the loss of life....

Looks like the roof is already gone.

That guy should go to jail for life. Not only did he destroy the building, but he killed the man that fell to his death. Any word on if they knew who started it.

Some pictures taken after the collapse

Tragic with the loss of life... all over some disgruntled "boyfriend" and some gasoline I hear, thus why the fire was so severe. Hamilton already looks so bad and depressing. Now let's add this eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hamilton already looks so bad and depressing. Now let's add this eyesore.
    Yes it does, it seems to get worse as you go north. So many buildings destroyed by fire or just literally falling apart.