Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Police officer killed - 1917

Being an amateur genealogist, I ordered a death certificate for my wife’s Great-Grandfather, to see if it would list his parents’ names.
    It didn’t, but I noticed the informant for the information given was a Mary Diamond.

In 1920, Mary was the landlady of the place on Chene St. where my wife’s Grandfather and his brother lived after they were discharged from the army after World War 1. She was also their sister.

It turns out in 1917 her husband Richard Diamond had given up his job at Ford in Highland Park to become a Detroit Policeman. Poor guy was killed on his first night on the beat on Franklin near McDougall when he and his partner, who was a cadet officer himself but who had a gun, chased some men who they were told were armed. He hadn’t taken the oath of service yet, so his wife and two small children were ineligible for police insurance. The kicker – he was shot by his partner, who had told him to take cover and as he was chasing the suspects, turned and fired at Diamond who was running behind him, thinking he was another suspect.

I just wanted to share this with those who are interested in history and since I went to the trouble to look up the old newspaper story.

From the Officer Down Mememorial page:
    Police Officer Richard H. Diamond
    Detroit Police Department
    Michigan
    End of Watch: Saturday, August 18, 1917

Biographical Info
    Tour of Duty: Not available
    Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
    Cause of Death: Gunfire [[Accidental)
    Date of Incident: Saturday, August 18, 1917
    Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
    Suspect Info: Not available

Officer Diamond was accidentally shot and killed by other officers while on duty.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/4065-pol...ard-h.-diamond

Default 1917 was a bad year

The site list 10 Michigan Police Officers killed in the line of duty that year.

Back then the police didnt have the same tools to catch an individual suspected of shooting or maiming a policeman. There weren't surveillance cameras, police helicopters and assorted tech tools available today.

How far have you gotten with your genealogy research? Do you have census records, etc.? Would love to help if I can.

Thank you DtCtyGrl, I have it pretty well nailed down. Census records death certificate and even been to his *unmarked* burial site. Thanks for offering.