Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: TasteFest

Default TasteFest

Any word on when the Comerica Taste Fest is being held? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the festival listings.

DC48080 Guest

It appears to be from July 1'st through 5th this year.

http://eventful.com/detroit/events/c...01-024251418-0

lincoln8740 Guest

I could have sworn it was to be called something else and also wouldn't be a "tastefest" in the general sense of that word. I thinks its more of a music festival now.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    I could have sworn it was to be called something else and also wouldn't be a "tastefest" in the general sense of that word. I thinks its more of a music festival now.
    It is called the Comerica City Fest now. It has been called that for a few years now.

I heard from a good source that Cityfest won't be happening this year. But then again, my source could be wrong!

Sadly, it might not happen this year.

The Michigan State Fair is gone, absent from the summer calendar for the first time since 1848. And while fans had hoped west Michigan's Rothbury Festival, which was launched in 2008, would become a Fourth of July tradition, the music festival's organizers announced it would not return in 2010.
    Now the future of Comerica Cityfest, a Fourth of July tradition since 1989, remains in doubt. While organizers are expected to address the future of the annual food and music festival Tuesday, vendors and merchants who have participated have said Cityfest organizers have told them the event is not returning.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0o1UrKeys

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Now the future of Comerica Cityfest, a Fourth of July tradition since 1989, remains in doubt. While organizers are expected to address the future of the annual food and music festival Tuesday, vendors and merchants who have participated have said Cityfest organizers have told them the event is not returning.
    Cityfest has always been my favorite event in Detroit. Great food and great music brings everyone together. This will be a real loss to the city, especially after Festival of the Arts was canceled last year.

This has been known for some time, and the alternative plan is to use the grassy knoll stage throughout the summertime for concerts, for about a thousand seats per night.

I think they screwed up fundamentally by naming certain nights for particular genres of music...to ME, Detroit Music is unique BECAUSE of genre-blending and the wonderful synergy we enjoy in the mixing bowl in the downtown area.

We will mourn these festivals until we find a way to not have them beholden to the whims of corporate bean counters.

Perhaps this year we will learn their deep and true lasting value...unfortunately via their absence...like so many other necessary things in the human condition.

Cheers, anyways, I'm finding ways to party for cheap and surround myself with amazing musicians and artists every day. Why wait for a festival?!