Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Twin Lakes?

Default Twin Lakes?

My dad who is in his late 70's, says when he was in his teens, him and his friends use to hitchhike from Dearborn to a place called Twin Lakes to swim. He said it was off Telegraph south somewhere, not sure how far or exactly where. He has looked to see if he can find it and there are no signs for it anywhere. One of the lakes was so deep you could not touch bottom, the other was the "kids" hole because it was somewhat shallow. I knew if anyone remembers this place, it would be on this site. I've tried searching on the internet to no avail. Does anyone remember Twin Lakes and where it is?

There's a Twin Lakes near Rochester [[North)
    <br><br>
    http://www.mytwinlakesgc.com/directions.php
    <br><br>
    At one time, people use to do some sort of swimming at Flatrock and near the dam, however considering the water, that might require desperation.
    Last edited by wilderness; May-15-10 at 10:53 AM.

No, he's sure it was south. He said it was almost like a quarry...we thought maybe it was the Riverview quarry, he insists it wasn't there though. I thought maybe someone else's dad may have talked about this. This was a long time ago too, he said most everything this way was farmland, and there were very few cars.

I'm most familiar with Telegraph [[even as far south as Toledo) and unable to recall anything.
    </ br></ br>
    I ran with some guys from Dearborn and "the heights" for some years [[late-60's-early 70's) and have something regarding this haunting me, however unable to recall the specifics.
    </ br></ br>
    I'll make some inquiries, maybe in the mean time somebody here will help.

This might be a stretch, but I recall Belleville Lake and Edison Lake, the two lakes formed by the damming of the Huron River just west of DTW being called the twin lakes in years past.

I just did a search for Belleville Lake and Twin Lakes and came up with a Twin Lakes in Monroe County on a private farm. Maybe that is the place?

Quote Originally Posted by thewitz View Post
    I just did a search for Belleville Lake and Twin Lakes and came up with a Twin Lakes in Monroe County on a private farm. Maybe that is the place?
    [ br][/ br]
    Many thanks.
    [ br][/ br]
    Here's a link to "Twin lakes, Monroe County, MI"
    [ br][/ br]
    Quite close to Telegraph. and about a mile north of Dixie Hwy [[M-50)

Thank-you for link. When you zoom in and put it on satellite, it looks like one lake is shallow and the other is very deep. I'm guessing these are the lakes. Can't wait to show my dad. He's been driving around trying to find them for years.