Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wayne State University fall of 1969 had a neat little record department in the book store on Cass

Quote Originally Posted by gerard derochie View Post
    Wayne State University fall of 1969 had a neat little record department in the book store on Cass
    I had two brothers at Wayne that year, one just starting his freshman year, the other in an art masters program, I'm sure they knew all about that store. They were the two whose records I was always listening to when I was a kid.

I remember Kendrick's Records very well. My parents owned a clothing distributorship practically next door to Kendrick's! Gosh, I really miss those early 70's days.

Our family was kinda lame on music buying [[though I've been to a lot of Dearborn garage sales where it's a lot of the same "Sound of Music" OST and Ray Conniff Singers-not to mention Herb Alpert)-we only listened to classical or soundtrack music. There was a complete absence of any rock or vocal music [[unless it was Leon Redbone, Randy Newman, or Spike Jones; You can say my earliest influences in music were John Williams, Gustav Holst, and Spike Jones). My brother would get all his soundtrack music at Harmony House.

The closest record store was Chauncey's on Evergreen and 6 Mile across from the old Family Buggy. They had 3 or 4 video games there, so, I'd steal quarters from my brother's change tin in his drawer, walk over there and play Ms. Pac-Man, Stargate, or Crazy Kong [[a bootleg of the Donkey version). The place would smell of something perfumey I didn't understand [[incense-they favored one flavor called p--sy). They specialized in R & B, so they were the place I went to to buy my first 45 [[Micheal Jackson's "Thriller"-sill have it to this day.); and my fellow band members had to have a copy of the only rock album they had there-Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast".

Does anyone remember where the Livonia Sams Jams was located?

Was that the record shop in the strip mall that shared the parking lot with the Kmart at 7 Mile and Farmington Roads, north west corner? I remember getting some great cut-out RicTic 45s there. The store wasn't there very long. Or was it the one on 8 Mile, east of Grand River in the strip beside the Farmer Jack?

Kelton

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Was that the record shop in the strip mall that shared the parking lot with the Kmart at 7 Mile and Farmington Roads, north west corner? I remember getting some great cut-out RicTic 45s there. The store wasn't there very long. Or was it the one on 8 Mile, east of Grand River in the strip beside the Farmer Jack?

Kelton
    The one in Livonia next to the Farmer Jack's at 8 & Grand River was the Record Collector. They used to be on Grand River in Old Redford and moved there. Though some of the guys there [[Kenny from MOG Stunt Team and Frank from Laughing Gas) were cool, it was a hotbed for the arrogant, Warhol-wannabee [[though talented nonetheless) Time-Stereo crowd who left shortly after it moved again to Ferndale. I picked up my first Eno and Zappa tapes and Chrome and Residents CDs there.

Record store day is April 16th:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/

[[Thanks to Kathleen for the reminder)

I'm glad somebody bumped this thread because I hadn't seen it in the past. For me, records were my life. When I was a kid I would cruise the neighborhood on my bike and go to garage sales looking for 45's. At one time I had amassed a collection of over 5,000. When I got into college I started working in radio and DJ'ing at clubs so every Saturday I had a circuit that I would drive to look for records [[mostly 12" singles) that I wanted to play at the clubs.

It all started in 1973 when I bought my first 45: "Bennie & the Jets" at Mr. Music in Taylortown shopping center. Fast forward to my adult years and the places I would frequent included Dearborn Music, Desirable Discs, Musicland [[of course), Repeat the Beat, Sams Jams, Peaches, Car City Classics and one other that I didn't see listed: Buy-Rite Records on Seven Mile. I was usually the only white guy in the place but the tunes they had were hard to find elsewhere. I think the proprietor's name was Kurt but I could be wrong.

Also, didn't Donnie Simpson's parents have a place called "Simpson's" back in the day? I also remember a place [[I 'think' it was on Livernois but I could be mistaken) that had one of those lightning bolt globey things at the front counter? I think I went there once. There was also a record store at Trapper's Alley but I can't remember the name.

Great thread. Still love vinyl!

Noticed this didn't get mentioned yet, lived a few blocks away from it.

And Tom's Record's [[Exchange?) at the corner of Wick and Pardee, near the Sax Drug Store.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    There was also a record store at Trapper's Alley but I can't remember the name.
    There was a Harmony House in Trapper's Alley for a couple years. Up on one of the top floors, IIR.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    There was a Harmony House in Trapper's Alley for a couple years. Up on one of the top floors, IIR.
    I liked that chain.

I had friends that worked there, and they were okay at getting a hold of items that I specially ordered [[like Holger Czukay). They had a location in Dearborn Heights and in the RenCen. They were also a common [[ugh) Ticketmaster Outlet, and I remember waiting in one heck of a long line at the Tel-12 Mall [[back when it was enclosed and used to have LEGO exhibits) on a Saturday Morning just to get two tickets to Alice Cooper at the Fox [[they can show you a map, but can't tell you what seats you may commit to purchasing; yet, if you purchased by phone they could tell you the seats before you made the purchase, but couldn't produce a map to approximate your location-that was the major rub with them).

The one location on Royal Oak was my most favorite; they were good at carrying a lot of rare stuff. The FYE there just doesn't live up [[they mostly carry "Greatest Hits" of each artist-if that).

There was also a Harmony House in the Southgate Shopping Center, which I would frequent as well in my early years. This one later became a dollar store and is now just sitting abandoned.

Here's what it looks like inside today.

^^^Man, that's one big cheeto lying on the floor there.

Does anyone remember where the Livonia Sams Jams was located?
    It was on Plymouth Rd in a strip mall across the street from Wonderland Mall near where the Red Lobster is located.

Interestingly, and maybe even sadly, I was in Dearborn Music over the weekend and noted they had recently expanded. This expansion made room for more music stock, particularly, vinyl. However, it also made room for more "pop culture" items as well, T-shirts, socks, purses, DVDs, magnets, posters, action figures [[Star Wars, Simpsons, etc), glasses, & coffee mugs, etc. It was sad to me to see all these other items in with what was a strictly music store in the past. Then I figured they probably had to sell more than just records & cds in order to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Interestingly, and maybe even sadly, I was in Dearborn Music over the weekend and noted they had recently expanded. This expansion made room for more music stock, particularly, vinyl. However, it also made room for more "pop culture" items as well, T-shirts, socks, purses, DVDs, magnets, posters, action figures [[Star Wars, Simpsons, etc), glasses, & coffee mugs, etc. It was sad to me to see all these other items in with what was a strictly music store in the past. Then I figured they probably had to sell more than just records & cds in order to stay in business.
    Record stores have sold that extra crap for decades. I don't mind the t-shirts and DVD's, but the incense always drove me out the door...

but the incense always drove me out the door...
    I agree. I have such a heavy scent-sensitivity, that I walk on the opposite side of the mall from any place that sells Yankee Candle junk.

The store at 7 Mile and Farmington [[by Kmart) was Shay's Records and Tapes.
    Bob Shay [[my grandpa) ran a store either in Detroit or Ferndale. [[if anyone know, please remind me). I have tons of pics from that store [[him with artists). My uncle ran a store at Fairlane Mall until he passed away.

I'm certain of the Livonia store. My parents were 18 and 20 when I was born, it was the daycare. Lots of teens hung out there. The family store owners were close, they would meet to talk about losing business to the chains [[Music Land and Harmony House). I'm also certain of the Livonia store because when I sold my parents house 5 yrs ago, I found the entire store inventory [[thousands and thousands of vinyl and cassettes) ruined by a flood... and my teens asked what a cassette was.
    Let me know if you recall the other stores. The pics of my grandpa are inside.

Back in the day, I use to get mine at Street Corner Music on 13 Mile and Southfield Rd in the shopping plaza. Then they moved to Greenfield and Lincoln in Southfield. Haven't rode by there to see if they're still in business. They carried a lot of hard to find vinyl.

Kelton- Shay's Records and Tapes was in that strip mall across from Kmart for many years. It may have been a different store before it was turned into Shay's. I found this thread while looking for information on the first store [[there were 4 in metro-Detroit at one time). I have a ton of pictures of the inside of the first store, many with artists that would come in and sign. The first store was opened in the mid-60's. I thought the first store was on 8 Mile but could be wrong. [[I was very young at the time).

23. Default

Musicland, Record Town, Harmony House.

I used to stand in record stores for the longest time flipping through the albums and looking at the covers. We would always look for one with a woman with any nudity.

24. Default

Oh yeah, Kmart. Most department stores had a section with albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The store at 7 Mile and Farmington [[by Kmart) was Shay's Records and Tapes.
    Bob Shay [[my grandpa) ran a store either in Detroit or Ferndale. [[if anyone know, please remind me). I have tons of pics from that store [[him with artists). My uncle ran a store at Fairlane Mall until he passed away.

I'm certain of the Livonia store. My parents were 18 and 20 when I was born, it was the daycare. Lots of teens hung out there. The family store owners were close, they would meet to talk about losing business to the chains [[Music Land and Harmony House). I'm also certain of the Livonia store because when I sold my parents house 5 yrs ago, I found the entire store inventory [[thousands and thousands of vinyl and cassettes) ruined by a flood... and my teens asked what a cassette was.
    Let me know if you recall the other stores. The pics of my grandpa are inside.
    I can provide you with a bit more information, at least on the 7 Mile and Plymouth Road [[Detroit) stores. Not sure about Ferndale.

A high school friend of mine worked at the Detroit store because Bob [[your grandfather) was a good friend of his fathers, so I would frequently run into Bob.
    I had a passing acquaintance with one of Bob's son, Steve[[?) if my ancient mind remembers correctly and I think he may have run the Ferndale store.

The Livonia store was started around 1974-76 time frame and I think it was an empty building when Bob opened it. I remember stopping in a few times as it was being furnished and always being put to work with the trade of an album or 2 as payment.

The good old days.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast