Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New bollards going up in downtown

Anybody know what the new decorative bollards are all about, going up on the sidestreets downtown? Nice looking - in groups of three with "Judge Woodward Plan" plaque on one of 'em - and a space in the sidewalk for an inset of some kind. More new street decoration or something a bit more functional? Wayfinding? Just curious...

Sure is a LOT of concrete tearout going on downtown at pedestrian crossing corners. Most of the stuff being removed was installed during the rush to spruce up for Superbowl XL.

New curbing and sidewalk in Greektown area going in - also a "decorative" edge stripe. Looks like this is part of pedestrian improvements between Greektown to Harmonie/Paradise and stadia. Nice to see it!

I sorta think redoing the curb cuts after five years is just awful.

they have to redo all of the ped crossings in the state to meet the guidelines for Americans with Disabilities act. Larger areas of concrete on the corners, specific grade for the decline to street level and the inset plastic bumps.

Is a pal of KK getting the contracts this time?

Insets in the sidewalk now have cast metal plates in place at a couple of locations, with "Detroit" and four slogans on 'em: "The Motor City," The D," "Day-twa," and a 4th I can't remember right now... duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Insets in the sidewalk now have cast metal plates in place at a couple of locations, with "Detroit" and four slogans on 'em: "The Motor City," The D," "Day-twa," and a 4th I can't remember right now... duh.
    You're kidding right?

Nope - take a look. Think of it as "branding," city pride. Most cities have this stuff all over. Now, so does Detroit. [[And hey, I'm just the reporter here - have nothing to do with the project.)

"Day-twa"? Really?

And that's supposed to foster city pride?

These unfunded mandates are a great way to force cities to spend scarce monies on [[usually suburban) contractors. Sigh ...

This is so contrived, and in the worst way. So self-conscious... let me ask you, would Chicago imprint "Chi-Town" into its sidewalks? No. Would San Francisco put "Frisco" in the cement? Uhhh, hell, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    This is so contrived, and in the worst way. So self-conscious... let me ask you, would Chicago imprint "Chi-Town" into its sidewalks? No. Would San Francisco put "Frisco" in the cement? Uhhh, hell, no.
    I'm sure the contractors took every opportunity to hike the price of the job by adding bling.