Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Barney's burger place on Greenfield

Can anyone recall a great little burger place on Greenfield near Plymouth in the 60's called Barney's? My aunt and uncle lived on Mark Twain and would always take my brother and I there when we were kids for burgers. We would visit from rural Ohio, where we had no fast food of any sort whatsoever and relatives here would take us to Barney's and to Top Hat [[I could eat 12 back then) for burgers, and sometimes order something called 'Pizza' for us.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Can anyone recall a great little burger place on Greenfield near Plymouth in the 60's called Barney's? My aunt and uncle lived on Mark Twain and would always take my brother and I there when we were kids for burgers. We would visit from rural Ohio, where we had no fast food of any sort whatsoever and relatives here would take us to Barney's and to Top Hat [[I could eat 12 back then) for burgers, and sometimes order something called 'Pizza' for us.
    Could you be thinking of Henry's? A copy of the original McDonald's?
    There was one at that corner/nearby.
    Closed maybe early 70's, most of the Henry's did.
    The sign was still there late 80's. That area hasn't had any new commercial
    development, if it hasn't fallen down, that sign might still be there.
    http://www.michigandriveins.com/henryshamburgers.asp
    Last edited by econ expat; May-14-10 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added link

You know, that just might be the place. I remember a 15c burger. It would have been early to middle 1960's. thanks for the link. I remember seeing a sign still there back in the 80's.

I recall a "Dandy Hamburgers" directly on the southwest corner of Greenfield and Plymouth. Spent a lot of time in there. Used to have lunch there after church--we used to walk to church from my house on Sussex. Yummers! Probably not an ounce of good nutritious food, but I loved them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I recall a "Dandy Hamburgers" directly on the southwest corner of Greenfield and Plymouth. Spent a lot of time in there. Used to have lunch there after church--we used to walk to church from my house on Sussex. Yummers! Probably not an ounce of good nutritious food, but I loved them!!!!
    I also had relatives on Sussex, only a few blocks from my relatives on Mark Twain. what a beautiful neighborhood it was, those elm trees, wow.

Burger places in my memory from the 60's were Peppy's on Coolidge or something in Berkley. They used to sell the fries by the pound.

Also remember John Gordy's Gordyburgers. He was an All Pro offensive lineman on the Lions back in the day, but sure made a crappy burger.

There's still a Henry's in Benton Harbor.

http://www.henryshamburgers.com/