Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Inside the 10 Detroit schools being demolished

Over the last year or so, I've been trying to visit all of the vacant schools in Detroit. As discussed in other threads, demolition has started on 10 of these schools.

Dexter Ferry Elementary - 1922-2005

Ferry elementary operated from 1922 until its closure in 2005. Only 263 students were left when it closed. I recall the school being well secured in the summer of 2008 or 2009, but by the time these pictures were taken, there had been at least two major fires.

Dexter Ferry in the 1920's.

Dexter Ferry, 2010.

While taking this picture, some neighborhood kids saw one of us in a window and came into the school looking for us. I stood in this spot [[which was actually quite dark) for almost 10 minutes as they roamed the halls, yelling and singing. Eventually they got bored and left.

As of the beginning of May, asbestos abatement work was well under way

John S. Newberry School - 1927 to 2005

Named for industrialist John Stoughton Newberry, this school was closed at the end of the 2004 school season due to a significant loss in students - down from 613 in 2000 to just 252.

Like many other Detroit schools, Newberry had several additions, the most recent of which was a strange, UFO-looking outbuilding connected by a covered walkway:

As of several weeks ago, the building was undergoing abatement work in preparation for demolition.

Henry Gary Sherrard Middle School - 1923-2007

When Sherrard closed in 2007 due to declining enrollment, it like other schools closing at the time, was sealed using VPS anti-vandal panels - but only on the first floor, presumably for cost savings. This backfired rather badly, as scrappers simply entered the building through the second floor using taller ladders.
    I happened to be driving by one day when I saw a gap between two VPS panels, just wide enough to squeeze through. I did, and apparently a lot of people did as well, for within a few weeks most of the VPS panels had been ripped off.

1927 map outlining the locations of Sherrard and Breitmeyer schools.

A single-story addition in the 70's or 80's obscured much of front of the original building, until recent demolition work began...

...revealing the original building.

The gymnasium has an observation deck, from which all of the benches have been stripped.

First week of May.

A large part of the new addition was a combination cafeteria / auditorium.

The new addition created a courtyard in front of the original building.

As of this writing, about half of the school has been torn down.

Fantastic coverage by you, Detroiturbex...many thanks. Might I just suggest any future postings include the street location of the schools? Just a suggestion.

Nice work!

Would love to find any yearbooks from Sherrard. 1950s

Sherrard demolition earlier today:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4415

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Fantastic coverage by you, Detroiturbex...many thanks. Might I just suggest any future postings include the street location of the schools? Just a suggestion.
    You got it.

Breitmeyer Intermediate / Foreign Language Immersion & Cultural Studies School - 1917-2005

Built in 1917, Breitmeyer Intermediate was named after a prominent florist whose son served as mayor of Detroit. It was one of the first Foreign Language Immersion schools in the country, a highly successful program for at-risk students that continues today. Breitmeyer closed in 2006.

The school in the summer of 2009.

Unfortunately, student records were not removed from the school when it closed, and could be often found on the lawn and in nearby trees.

As of the first week of May, the school was being cleaned out, but major demolition work had not started.

Augusta B. Woodward Elementary - 1963-2005
    2900 Wreford Street

This school is odd in that it is relatively new compared to others - only 42 years old when it was abandoned. In 1997, Woodward had a student population of 613; when it closed in 2004, that number had dropped to 351.

What was left of the computer lab.

In the center of the school had been a gymnasium, in which books and other supplies had been stacked when the school closed. Fire and rain did the rest.

Plastic has recently gone up in the windows, and dumpsters set up out front.

Nice series. Nice website, too.

Nice angles on Dexter... I found the place remarkably unremarkable aside from this beam of light shining on my vanity. Crazy what five years, bored kids, and scrappers have done to these schools, makes you wonder how far gone they were before they were vacated...

Default Why Doesn't DPS hire a PropDisp?

I don't get it. For all of the cleaning up Robert Bobb has been doing [[God bless you, Robert Bobb), I have to shake my head at seeing pics of so much school property left in buildings that are [[ARGH) still unsecured.

Why hasn't DPS hired an outside property disposition company to take the stuff away and sell it? There are things of value [[mostly furniture) that the district could sell. This wouldn't just result in cash for the district, but also serve as reusing/recycling [[other districts/businesses/individuals could purchase instead of buying new). Not to mention, it would reduce the amount of junk in abandoned buildings, posing as fire kindling and health hazards.

Why hasn't this been done? What does the city have to lose? Even if they held their own public auction, it would be better than watching this stuff literally rot away.

I have been perplexed by this situation as well. So many usable things going to waste, it is a real shame. Even school supplies and books, maybe not the most current, could still be used by someone I think. Couldn't even local shelters / battered women places or senior cneters use some furniture or books etc? There might not be money to collect and distribute these things, but I bet people would volunteer for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    I have been perplexed by this situation as well. So many usable things going to waste, it is a real shame. Even school supplies and books, maybe not the most current, could still be used by someone I think. Couldn't even local shelters / battered women places or senior cneters use some furniture or books etc? There might not be money to collect and distribute these things, but I bet people would volunteer for a good cause.
    For what its worth, many schools that were closed in the last two years [[Crosman, Cleveland, Chadsey, Munger) have been almost totally cleaned out. Books, desks, chairs, the works.

A press release from last year talks about how the last 16 schools they closed were emptied before being locked up: http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/news/article/1766/

And in something of a bright spot, the district is doing a much better job on securing the closed schools. When the VPS paneling on Higgins Elementary was breached a few weeks back, it was right back up the following week.

I'm curious about things of value or historical significance that are in the schools. I attended Mackenzie and there was a whole lobby of showcases with trophies/medals/photos. What happens to that stuff? To some alums and Detroit historians it's upsetting to see that stuff trashed. Will there be a sale/auction of things? What about old yearbooks? I would be thrilled to get a piece of "something" from the old DIAL office at the Mack.

Claire Mabel Sanders Elementary - 1965-2004

1240 Pinegree Street

Sanders was one of the few schools I've seen that also had a community clinic. Abatement work is underway.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I'm curious about things of value or historical significance that are in the schools. I attended Mackenzie and there was a whole lobby of showcases with trophies/medals/photos. What happens to that stuff? To some alums and Detroit historians it's upsetting to see that stuff trashed. Will there be a sale/auction of things? What about old yearbooks? I would be thrilled to get a piece of "something" from the old DIAL office at the Mack.
    One thing I always look for in schools are yearbooks. The only ones I've ever found were in Cass. Some schools removed their trophies when they changed locations, but most left them behind. There are a lot of student pictures.

I am so sad about Higgins Elementary. Went there for kindergarden, then on to Healy Elemntary, also closed, and grafiti covered. Like a part of me is disappearing.

Detroit City High / McGraw Middle / Longfellow School - 1963-2007

A school with many identities: at various times the small school on the west side has gone by the names McGraw, Longfellow, and lastly, Detroit City Alternative High. Notable for being one of the few schools abandoned due to increasing enrollment. From 1997 to 2006, the student population jumped from 177 to 451. Its cornerstone program was a comprehensive 11-month high school and GED program.

Last time I drove by, it was being cleaned out.

John Owen Elementary School - 1964-2006

Like many schools built in the 60's, Owen had an open space in the center of the building.

I do not have any recent information on the status of the school, but it is on the demolition list.

James Burrill Angell Elementary School - 1964-2005

A very small school on the west side of the city. When it closed in 2002, there were just 69 students attending. Named for former University of Michigan President James Angell.

I'm not sure what to make of this central area. To one side is a rack of computer networking equipment, but that might have been moved.

One of the classrooms. Angell has been completely demolished.

James Edmond Scripps Elementary - 1964-2005

Former Marcus Garvey Academy. When it closed in 2001, Scripps had just 259 enrolled out of a capacity of 1,020.

Students weren't allowed to have any fun

For more pictures and history about each location:

Dexter Ferry Elementary
    John S. Newberry
    Henry Gary Sherrard
    Owen Elementary
    Augusta B. Woodward
    Breitmeyer Elementary
    James Burrill Angell Primary
    Sanders Elementary
    James Edmond Scripps
    Detroit City High School

Thanks for reading!

DPS lets all their school buildings that they own fall apart, meanwhile they are renting lots of administrative space on the first floor of New Center One next to the Fischer building.

You would think they could save money by ocuppying one of the buildings they are ignoring.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    One thing I always look for in schools are yearbooks. The only ones I've ever found were in Cass. Some schools removed their trophies when they changed locations, but most left them behind. There are a lot of student pictures.
    What year were the yearbooks from, and can you tell from the student pics what time period they were taken?

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    What year were the yearbooks from, and can you tell from the student pics what time period they were taken?
    1968, 71, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84, 91, 94, 95, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 02, 03

I might have a 2001 somewhere.

IF[[and we are hoping not) Cooley closes, a few of us old timer teachers are going to look for organizations that will accept school mementos. For example, we have a wonderful plaque [[rather large) that lists all of the former Cooley students killed in battle during WWII. We were thinking of the Detroit Historical Museum for that. We aren't sure what to do with the trophies and such. We don't just want to leave that stuff in the building for the pickers to get. I'd welcome any suggestions as to what to do with these items.

It does seem as if the trophies/momentoes should go somewhere. The Historical Museum is a nice idea, if they would be willing to take/store them. It would be such a shame for all that to get tossed or scrapped.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast