Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flower Day, This coming Sunday Eastern Market

Flower Day, this coming Sunday at The Eastern Market

My Wagon is patiently waiting by the door

Not to sound like a total noob but what is the reason behind flower day? Is it just when the Spring harvest of flowers has traditionally hit? I asked my mom if she wanted to go but she said there are way to many suburbanites for her to bother.

I adore the Eastern Market but I do avoid Flower Day on Sunday. Worked in EM for several years. It still has that flavor of yesteryear.

The police converge and reroute traffic causing mayhem. Seriously, how scarey can people be, who just want to buy flowers.

Will be there Saturday to pick up an order. Saturday is almost as nuts as Sunday. Unavoidable unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Not to sound like a total noob but what is the reason behind flower day? Is it just when the Spring harvest of flowers has traditionally hit? I asked my mom if she wanted to go but she said there are way to many suburbanites for her to bother.
    The last frost date in MI is May 10th [[prettty sure thats the right date) so the following weekend is the 1st time most gardeners start planting thier beds, thus Flower day always falls the sunday after mothers day

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Every thread needs a comment like the one I am about to post...

Can't you and your Mom just say there are too many people down there? Do they have to be suburbanites? It's lucky us suburbanites make our way down there. We all drive by at least 4-5 homedepot/lowes/english gardens on the way to the market that we could easily just pull into a nice manicured parking lot, wander in, and in a quick minute have our flats of flowers. No we take the time to find a shitty parking spot in a shitty parking lot, battle through the crowds and buy flowers from whoknowswho all because there is a since of culture and tradition with buying flowers down there during flower weekend. In fact, dare I say, it's us suburbanites frequenting the market that has made it so successful. I don't see so many city people down there, right?

Really, I am not pissed just a simple observation.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Every thread needs a comment like the one I am about to post...

Can't you and your Mom just say there are too many people down there? Do they have to be suburbanites? It's lucky us suburbanites make our way down there. We all drive by at least 4-5 homedepot/lowes/english gardens on the way to the market that we could easily just pull into a nice manicured parking lot, wander in, and in a quick minute have our flats of flowers. No we take the time to find a shitty parking spot in a shitty parking lot, battle through the crowds and buy flowers from whoknowswho all because there is a since of culture and tradition with buying flowers down there during flower weekend. In fact, dare I say, it's us suburbanites frequenting the market that has made it so successful. I don't see so many city people down there, right?

Really, I am not pissed just a simple observation.
    Oh, god. On that day it's only the LARGEST BEDDING FLOWER MARKET IN THE WORLD. You can't get selection like that at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I do have one qualm, though. Can people NOT pull their wagon, cart, kiddie cart THROUGH THE ENTIRE MARKET? Isn't it possible to have carry flats of flowers out of the aisle to a waiting cart, attended by your loved one? Is it possible to have your children walk through the market? It irritates me to find traffic in the aisle stop for a minute or two, and then I realize two dudes are standing with empty carts in the middle of the aisle talking. Or some lady admiring flowers while her THREE GROWN CHILDREN are strapped into a wagon she doesn't realize is blocking foot traffic. ENOUGH WITH THE CARTS ALREADY!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, god. On that day it's only the LARGEST BEDDING FLOWER MARKET IN THE WORLD. You can't get selection like that at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I do have one qualm, though. Can people NOT pull their wagon, cart, kiddie cart THROUGH THE ENTIRE MARKET? Isn't it possible to have carry flats of flowers out of the aisle to a waiting cart, attended by your loved one? Is it possible to have your children walk through the market? It irritates me to find traffic in the aisle stop for a minute or two, and then I realize two dudes are standing with empty carts in the middle of the aisle talking. Or some lady admiring flowers while her THREE GROWN CHILDREN are strapped into a wagon she doesn't realize is blocking foot traffic. ENOUGH WITH THE CARTS ALREADY!
    My wagon is offended

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    My wagon is offended
    Ideally, your wagon would not be offended, but attended, off of the aisles, by the person of your choice, while you pick some flats for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Ideally, your wagon would not be offended, but attended, off of the aisles, by the person of your choice, while you pick some flats for it.
    Alas I am a lone shopper with only my wagon for company, but me and the wagon strive to be as out of the way as possible. Unless someone looks at me like they are annoyed with me and my wagon and then i just run over their toes
    The Child has to walk as there are no free wagon rides for her, I make her walk in front of me so that we form a streamlined flower buying machine. I find the worst traffic jams occur in shed 6 so I do stick to the perimeter on that one...
    trust me I understand the desire to go cartless but It's next to impossible for most of us...

You guys ruin everything.

Alas I am a lone shopper with only my wagon for company, but me and the wagon strive to be as out of the way as possible. Unless someone looks at me like they are annoyed with me and my wagon and then i just run over their toes
    No you don't. You're kidding.

The Child has to walk as there are no free wagon rides for her, I make her walk in front of me so that we form a streamlined flower buying machine. I find the worst traffic jams occur in shed 6 so I do stick to the perimeter on that one...
    At least you're thoughtful. Thank you.

trust me I understand the desire to go cartless but It's next to impossible for most of us...
    I just wish people would be more considerate and, unless absolutely necessary, please do not try to pull a vehicle through a crowd. That is no different from the courtesy of not wearing a backpack on the subway or not standing in front of elevator doors before they open.

If only every shopper were as understanding.

Are the flowers cheaper on that day? Are there less vendors on the day before? I've never been to flower day, so that's why I ask.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Are the flowers cheaper on that day? Are there less vendors on the day before? I've never been to flower day, so that's why I ask.

Stromberg2
    yes and no

if you play your cards right and wait till the end of the day you can get some cazy good deals which is when i wait to buy my hanging baskets. I can usually get 2 for 10 and occasionally 3 for 20.00 of the really big ones. In the burbs I would have to pay 19.99+ per basket

I buy flats for a few dollars a flat cheaper than I can get them most other places

for us die hards its just about the day and the environment and not the deals thought there are deals to be had

Most vendors will hold your flats/plants so one can pull a car around to load up

I just go and people watch. The best time to buy plants or flowers, is Always the Saturday After Flower Day.the prices are lower,and the crowd isn't as big

By the way I was at the market last week and someone is renting out wood carts to carry your flats with. They seemed like decent carts. Handmade wood painted purple.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    I just go and people watch. The best time to buy plants or flowers, is Always the Saturday After Flower Day.the prices are lower,and the crowd isn't as big
    Thanks for this tip!

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    By the way I was at the market last week and someone is renting out wood carts to carry your flats with. They seemed like decent carts. Handmade wood painted purple.
    Sweet, I'm going to rent 4 and then follow DNerd around the entire day, parking them around him in a box formation every time he stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Sweet, I'm going to rent 4 and then follow DNerd around the entire day, parking them around him in a box formation every time he stops.
    Haha. If you do that, I'll pick up somebody's infant and throw it at you.

LodgeDodger Guest

I've found prices cheaper after Flower Day, too. The crowds are just too much for me to take. I've never planted before June 1st, as there's still danger of frost. I'll buy my flowers in a couple of weeks.

However, it's a fun day to people watch. I can't wait to see JohnLodge and DetroitNerd duke it out!

One more thing--anyone who wishes to help out the Georgia Street Gardens, offer to pick up a flat of something while you're at the Eastern Market.

Eastern Market is such a Saturday morning joy - on every Saturday but Flower weekend - YIKES! Did it once, won't go again I like the usual hustle and bustle of an "every" Saturday crowd - but too many newbies and gawkers at Flower Day!

I have been to flower day for the last hundred years or so and have not bought one flower....but I go to have a few beers and some unidentifiable meat at Bert's, listen to some really bad Karaoke and engage in my favorite pastime....gawking!

I think the loading and maneuvering of the carts and is a major feat of engineering.

Wouldn't miss it, but then again I AM a suburbanite!

I can't wait to see JohnLodge and DetroitNerd duke it out!
    Be sure to post pics and/or video of this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Be sure to post pics and/or video of this event.
    It's already online, though ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast