Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More Restaurant Activity Downtown

In addition to the new restaurants downtown already discussed recently in the forum [[Tim Hortons, Cafe Kabob, bbq in Greektown, Campius Martius), I have noticed other activity. Zef's Coney Island has a sign up on Woodward in the First National Building space next to the drug store, a bbq restaurant has a sign up on Adams in Grand Circus Park, there seems to be new activity in the Kale's space [[including the removal of the Shield's Coming Soon signs) and Sala Thai in Lafayette Park changed its name. Does anyone have any information on these potential new additions?

I hope that's the Zef's that used to be on Washington Blvd--they were in the Book Building until it was closed, then in the little grocery that was in the Trolley/Washington Square apartments.

There's a new Chinese place that opened off just off Larned, It's on that street that's one block East of Washington Blvd. Might be Shelby, between Larned and Congress.

What is Sala Thai now called? The bbq place on Adams?

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by NorthofNormal View Post
    I hope that's the Zef's that used to be on Washington Blvd--they were in the Book Building until it was closed, then in the little grocery that was in the Trolley/Washington Square apartments.
    Help me out here because I may have been out of the loop for a while. The Trolley Market is no longer in the Trolley apartment building?

Quote Originally Posted by bassab View Post
    In addition to the new restaurants downtown already discussed recently in the forum [[Tim Hortons, Cafe Kabob, bbq in Greektown, Campius Martius), I have noticed other activity. Zef's Coney Island has a sign up on Woodward in the First National Building space next to the drug store, a bbq restaurant has a sign up on Adams in Grand Circus Park, there seems to be new activity in the Kale's space [[including the removal of the Shield's Coming Soon signs) and Sala Thai in Lafayette Park changed its name. Does anyone have any information on these potential new additions?
    I walked by the Kale's space today and there was some construction inside... but I also read a sign that said work has been delayed. So I don't know what is up with that.

while driving on Michigan Ave. last night, the doors of the Arcade Bar were open and it appeared major work is going on...the wall behind the bar has been stripped to the brick wall and although the bar is still intact, this indicates some one is doing a major gut...anyone know anything?

It's not really downtown per se, but a new Coney Island will be opening where Maxie's deli used to be, across from the Tiger Stadium site.

BBQ place on Adams just west off Woodward is called Rub Pub BBQ. Walked by today - the light fixtures are up, and they are advertising for management and waitstaff. Kales building doesn't show any new activity since the small paper "work halted" signs when up a long time ago. Tim Horton is doing fine in Compuware Building. Red Smoke BQ in Greektown - anybody know when this will open and what the legal actions is that has delayed it? Astoria Pastry people are the developers, I've heard. No info on Zef's - I did see the sign when they were in Trolley Market [[which is still in Washington [[formerly Trolley Plaza) Apts. Matt Prentice and Andiamo people both have ideas for former Seldom Blues space in RenCen.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Help me out here because I may have been out of the loop for a while. The Trolley Market is no longer in the Trolley apartment building?
    The Trolley Market closed a couple of months ago. The space is empty at the moment.

Notice how nobody is opening up luxury restaurants with stratospheric prices? That's a damn shame. If only we could get the Detroit development authorities to make some loans so we could have more places like that.

12. Default

There is a new "Gourmet Hot Dogs" operation in the old Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes place on John R between the YMCA and Woodward. The GGGtP in the Park Shelton is still open as far as I can tell.

Gourmet hot dogs? Sounds cool, hopefully they will have alot of options.

Stromberg2
    Last edited by stromberg2; May-16-10 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Walked by there today and picked up a menu [[after a bowl of Chili at LafayetteConey) - they have a variety: Cleveland Style Polish Boy [[with slaw, fries and special sauce), New York dogs [[sauerkraut and mustard), Italian sausage [[grilled peppers and onions), beef dogs, spicy dogs and a few more - plus fries, nachos, pretzels, chips and soft drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Walked by there today and picked up a menu [[after a bowl of Chili at LafayetteConey) - they have a variety: Cleveland Style Polish Boy [[with slaw, fries and special sauce), New York dogs [[sauerkraut and mustard), Italian sausage [[grilled peppers and onions), beef dogs, spicy dogs and a few more - plus fries, nachos, pretzels, chips and soft drinks.
    Where is this place again?

On John R, just east of Woodward - right behind Oslo

The new chinese/sushi restaurant on Shelby is Woo Hoo's [[or something like that). Went there for lunch today...very good. The waitress said they've been open about 4 weeks. Did a wonderful job with the space, it looks great.

Wah-Hoo. Owned by Fishbone's. Very clean and snappy, decent if uninspired Cantonese, can't wait to try the sushi. Go there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Wah-Hoo. Owned by Fishbone's. Very clean and snappy, decent if uninspired Cantonese, can't wait to try the sushi. Go there.
    Where is that one exactly?

20. Default

We just walked over and tried the Gourmet Hot Dogs place on John R. Very tasty. Lew is the proprietor and he is a good guy. We had his grand-opening special - 2 "American" dogs [[ketchup/mustard, relish and onion), Better Made chips and a pop for $5. I forgot to ask him where he gets his dogs, but they had a nice 'snap' and were devoured instantly. He offers the dogs, sausages, cole slaw and fries in many combinations and he seems like an enthusiast. I like the idea of a small, tightly focused independent business opening in downtown Detroit. I'm probably good for one visit a week [[don't tell my wife!)
    Recall that this is a walk-up only operation, but I can see him doing very well in that tiny little space. Look for the red awning right behind Oslo, across from the Metropolitan building.

What happened to the downtown good girls go to paris? I thought that was being hailed as a huge success... maybe not so much?

22. Default

Last November, she closed up the tiny [[like 200 sq. ft.) John R place "for the winter season". She apparently had better success up in the larger [[and year 'round) space by the Park Shelton [[north of the DIA), so moved aside and vacated. Lew seems happy enough to have taken that space!

I hate to be a stick in the mud on this one, but does anyone know what the hours of the new coney will be that is going in at the old Maxies site?

I heard it will be called Onasis Coney and that it's from either the Lafayette or American Coney people. It would be great if the interior was done nice, but also the parking lot and grounds. That corner needs some dressing up IMHO.

My fear is that the new place will be a 24 hour, drive through coney with bullet proof glass. [[e.g. like the one on Grand River across from the library in Woodbridge) I also fear the coney is being built to service the rather large bar/club crowds that frequent Hoot's Thursday through Saturday just to make a quick buck.

I'm not convinced Corktown will benefit from this.

Thoughts?

Hadn't thought about the 24 hour, after bar hours traffic. I was just thinking about how nice it will be to have that place open and serving breakfast. So, I was thinking it would be a good thing for Corktown. When it was Maxie's, the place always did a good breakfast thing. What's up with Brooklyn Grill? Didn't really like their breakfast anyway.

DetroitDad Guest

Shields, or someone very similar is supposedly still opening in the Kales Building.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast