Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Riverwalk Safety

I am planning to stay at the Omni Hotel on the Riverfront East, and instead of taking the bus downtown, my friend and I were thinking of walking the Riverwalk to the Ren Cen.
    I noticed on maps that some sections don't seem to be finnished. Do you guys think it is good though to walk in the morning on a weekday into downtown via the Riverwalk? It should not take more than 25 minutes I am hoping. And in terms of safety would you guys say it is o.k.?

I usually only get to the river to start killing and robbing by about 9 a.m. So you should have some time before I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitnerd View Post
    i usually only get to the river to start killing and robbing by about 9 a.m. So you should have some time before i get there.
    lmao!!!!!!

Miketoronto, Detroitnerd's sarcasm aside, I think your question is an important one. One reason many people are hesitant to visit Detroit is public safety, so I think that legitimate answers are important here, too, and I hope that some people who would be able to answer this question will do so. My guess is that safety would not be a major issue at 9am, but I am also not the best person to answer the question.

[[rolls eyes) Just as long as you bring your gun and bulletproof vest you should be ok.

Seriously. You should not have much to worry over. The only people around there are there to get exercise or enjoy the river access. There is only a relatively short segment of the walkway that is incomplete. That area is relatively well developed anyway.
    http://www.detroitriverfront.org/pdf...ap-Parking.pdf
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; May-12-10 at 01:33 PM.

What would be the best way to get there from the Omni. Down Chene to Atwater?

I find it to be pretty safe. But check the hours as it is now 'closed' from 10pm at night until 6 or 7am [[I cannot remember which) in the morning.

They do have security officers who roll through on bikes, but whether they'll actually do anything to help you is debatable.

There are security cameras monitoring the riverwalk and call stations if you encounter any problems. However, i've not used them or heard firsthand from anyone that's used them, so your mileage may vary. I do know that a similar monitoring system is in use on the people mover and it's very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    your question is an important one. One reason many people are hesitant to visit Detroit is public safety, so I think that legitimate answers are important here
    I agree, and regret that Detroitnerd felt a glib first answer to Mike's first post at this forum was the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    I agree, and regret that Detroitnerd felt a glib first answer to Mike's first post at this forum was the way to go.
    Aw, go jump in the river. From time to time people attempt to use humor as a way to break the ice and get the creative juices flowing. Don't like it? Ignore it and move on.

Miketoronto, I have walked all over downtown over the years, but not on the Riverwalk much yet. I think if you use some common street sense, such as not dressing too well, being aware of what is going on around you, and not engaging in conversation with homeless and other suspicious types that approach you, you should be fine. LOSE them, they are panhandlers and addicts. Basically, these are things that are a good idea to practice when walking in most US cities.

I would be more concerned about cold/rainy weather if your visit in the next three days. If we have a pretty sunny day you will be quite impressed at how pretty the Detroit River can be and what a nice view of the Ren Cen and Windsor, etc. you will have.

Mike,
    I'm guessing you went with Hotwire or Priceline. You almost always get stuck with the Omni when you try for a 3 star downtown hotel. It's for that reason I selfishly wish it would close or at least be considered outside the downtown area on their websites. The riverwalk is certainly safe. If you choose to use the Omni's shuttle at night, they may keep you waiting a half hour or more. By the way, the cook will throw some wings in the fryer even after the kitchen closes in the downstairs bar Fri and Sat. nights.
    I'm heading down from T O this weekend also, staying in Dearborn however. Bring back the $99 Greektown rates!

The riverwalk is one of the safest places in the city. You will be fine.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I used hotwire, and I knew that I would probably get the Omni
    I know Detroit very well and have strolled all over the downtown, as many of you know.

Just I have never made it to the Riverfront East area yet, and there was a section where it seems to go through vacant lots. So I was just wondering.
    We are also going to have backpacks with us, as we are catching a train to Chicago.

And if the weather is nice, I thought instead of taking the Jefferson bus into downtown to catch the Woodward bus to the Amtrak station, we would just take a nice morning stroll along the Riverwalk, since I have wanted to see it.

The best time to walk through or drive through Detroit is on a Sunday morning between 7am and 9am in January when the temperature is about 15 degrees F. Seems to be quite safe then. Otherwise one is on one's own.

The best time to visit Detroit by walking or by car is on a Sunday morning between 7am and 9am in January when the temperature is about 15 degrees F. Otherwise one is on one's own.

miketoronto, I walk the Riverwalk all the time at various times of day [[although not after dark) and find it to be very safe. There are a couple of blocks where it cuts over to Atwater and you walk along Atwater, but there are sidewalks. Much of that stretch is adjacent to Milliken State Park, a small harbor, and Chene Park. At 9am, you probably won't see very many people at all until you get to Rivard Plaza. I have rarely encountered any homeless folks, panhandlers, etc. along the Riverwalk except for the part fronting Hart Plaza. Common sense precautions and your cell phone should be more than adequate for the walk. Enjoy! It is a fine stroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    The best time to visit Detroit by walking or by car is on a Sunday morning between 7am and 9am in January when the temperature is about 15 degrees F. Otherwise one is on one's own.
    ^ Priceless.

I live near the River Walk. I walk downtown at night all the time. Me personally, I wouldn't walk from the Omni at night. Too many dark abandoned places. The chance of having a problem is slim but not wort the risk. During the day no problem. You cant even walk along the water for several blocks. Detroit's a pretty safe place.

You won't have any problem doing it then.

Crissakes, you will be fine unless you're devoid of any common sense whatsoever. I shot nude art models in that area dozens of times for many years.....never lost one, and here I am on my puter late at night.

I've been down there jogging or cycling on my way to or from Belle Isle and have never felt unsafe. I have used it in the early morning hours when it is "closed" I have never felt unsafe down there.

You'll be fine. It's the safest area in Detroit... http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/a...cas-50/903758/

Hey fools. It is a legit question.
    If your fellow Detroiters would stop shooting up the city and car-jacking people then perhaps questions such as this wouldn't need to be asked.

If all we ever hear is about the crime and poverty of Detroit then what other type of perception would we have.

...still waiting to see those marches for taking back your streets from the hoodlums.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Hey fools. It is a legit question.
    If your fellow Detroiters would stop shooting up the city and car-jacking people then perhaps questions such as this wouldn't need to be asked.

If all we ever hear is about the crime and poverty of Detroit then what other type of perception would we have.

...still waiting to see those marches for taking back your streets from the hoodlums.
    I have to get something off a really high shelf. Can I borrow your soapbox?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast