Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Searching for basic info on old restaurant - Capraros?

I've been asked by some family members to post this question here.
    Seems that the subject of an old Italian restaurant came up in conversation, but no one could remember for sure the name or quite where it was.

They believe the name was Capraros or something similar, supposedly owned by Ginopolis, located somewhere on Grand River, possibly down near Schaefer?

Does anyone have any information about this restaurant, if it existed?

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    Seems that the subject of an old Italian restaurant came up in conversation, but no one could remember for sure the name or quite where it was.

They believe the name was Capraros or something similar, supposedly owned by Ginopolis, located somewhere on Grand River, possibly down near Schaefer?

The only Capraro's I know of was at 15 and John R, where the current Mario's is. It was called Capraro's Italian Den and I used to go there fairly frequently back inthe 70's and early 80's.

Capraro Restaurant Pizzeria
    12966 Telegraph, Redford

It was on Telegraph just n. of Schoolcraft [[later I96) Owned by the Ginopolis family.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    It was on Telegraph just n. of Schoolcraft [[later I96) Owned by the Ginopolis family.
    It was indeed.
    And the sign said "Ginopolis Capraro Pizzeria"

There was an Italian restaurant, later Chinese on Grand River by Schaefer, basically in the parking lot of a factory/steel mill. I think it was mentioned in older DY threads.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    It was indeed.
    And the sign said "Ginopolis Capraro Pizzeria"

There was an Italian restaurant, later Chinese on Grand River by Schaefer, basically in the parking lot of a factory/steel mill. I think it was mentioned in older DY threads.
    South side of Grand River, Copco Steel?

Wasn't Capraro's on the southeast side of 96, right next to the Telegraph overpass?

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    South side of Grand River, Copco Steel?
    Yes. DiMambro's
    And I found the forgotten restaurant thread
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/83010.html

I believe the restaurant was started by Paul Capraro who later sold it and let them keep the name. He reopened as Capraro's Italian Den in Troy as noted by JC. It's kind of foggy [[I'm old, you know) but I believe Paul told me the history. We lived nearby in the early 70s and frequented the place in Troy.

Paul Capraro opened one on Hall Rd. in Utica. I was a fly there, in the early 80's. He used to hire the most beautiful cocktail waitresses and bar mixers. I somewhat knew the family, from being there frequently. Heard that he had passed, several years ago. Does anybody out there know? It was a long time ago, but I have fond memories of the family and many that were employed there.

I remember Capraro's well, lived near there growing up. When my brother graduated from high school, the family went there for dinner to celebrate. My brother died a few months later. Some things you just don't forget.

Oh, perfect. I do remember the restaurant, closed now, at 96 and Telegraph from way back when I was small child, but I didn't know the name.

I'll mention the name of DiMambro's too, see if that rings any bells.

This board never ceases to surprise at the amount of info a simple question returns. Thanks!

Went to DiMambros once in 1965. It was a bridesmaids dinner. I remember it being nice. I grew up not that far from there, but I had never had dinner there.

China Dragon - great food. Even as the place fell apart.

Default I worked at Capraros for a while

I was a bus boy. It was at 15 and John R. Nik Copanokis was the owner. His two kids were dishwashers

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post

I remember Capraros. Good old style Italian food. Under the overpass on Telegraph. The family sold it, it became a bar [[I'll ask a family member who worked there what it was called) That place went to hell though, there was an ugly robbery, it closed and never opened back up.

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I remember Capraros. Good old style Italian food. Under the overpass on Telegraph. The family sold it, it became a bar [[I'll ask a family member who worked there what it was called) That place went to hell though, there was an ugly robbery, it closed and never opened back up.
    Harry's Sports Bar I believe. I worked in the area and it was a regular stop for us. we quit going soon after he put up a few pay phones in the parking lot. They were a big attraction for doing drug transactions. Cars getting broken into and other problems soon broke out and soon after the robbery happened.

Yes, Capraros was just south of 96, east side of Telegraph, and became Harrys. Used to go to Harrys quite a bit back in the late 80s through the early or mid 90s. I remember the robbery, pretty nasty one, that was it for Harrys. I remember seeing a couple of the waitresses at another bar not long after that, can't remember where it was.