Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit church makes list of the 50 Most Extraordinary Churches of the World

It is number 9. I believe the latest "incarnation" may also have closed.

http://www.boredpanda.com/50-most-ex...-of-the-world/

Some of the other ones are pretty interesting, too, even for what an old country song once called a hairy-legged soul lost out in sin.

I've been to #s 45 and 46

wow those are some amazing churches!!!!! Makes me want to go

# 9...not even sure how or why that is on the list

Hey, it's Stanley's Mannia Cafe!

"This weird building is actually a church. Once it was famous for being “Detroit’s most beautiful Chinese-American restaurant”. Later it closed down and became the Omega Baptist Church and then the Grace Fellowship Baptist Church. Located at 265 Baltimore, MD, USA."

The top 2 on my list would be Cologne Cathedral [[Germany) and St. Peter's [[Rome).

I wonder if s/he included the Bahai church/temple in India. It's shaped like a lotus.

I was just in Hong's a few weeks ago... kind of puzzled why it would make the list, when there are so many incredible churches on Woodward avenue alone.

Default #46 Cadet Chapel - Air Force Academy

I was in #46 on Monday of this week - it is an awesome experience. I was unaware of the amount of stained glass blocks used at the intersection of the angular panels. The blue and red glass causes the interior to take on a purplish glow.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    "This weird building is actually a church. Once it was famous for being “Detroit’s most beautiful Chinese-American restaurant”. Later it closed down and became the Omega Baptist Church and then the Grace Fellowship Baptist Church. Located at 265 Baltimore, MD, USA."
    OK. I just want to be sure that I'm not confusing things. This is NOT in Detroit. Rather Baltimore, MD. As far as I know, there's no Baltimore Road in Detroit. A mistake? Or am I missing the sarcasm somewhere ...

Okay, all you proof-readers out there. The caption says Baltimore Rd, not MD. It is in fact on Baltimore Street, in Detroit, two blocks east of Woodward. The Whitey Castelle is on the SE corner of Baltimore & Woodward. The Amtrak on the SW corner of Woodward and Baltimore.

Thanks for the post! I always wondered what this structure was!!

Another view:

14. Default

Love that "church" too. A Detroit Googie Hall of Famer.