Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Goatyard

1. Default The Goatyard

To those lucky enough to have met him, Stephen Hume is a Detroit Hall of Fame classic. If this doesn't make you smile, check your pulse.

Thanks to his access, I was able to get this shot.

thanks Lowell, Rob & I really enjoyed
    this tall sail tail "this ain't no bullshit" !
    Loved your art as well GREAT!

I remember meeting him with a friend of mine who knew him. It was down at the foot of St. Jean. He had a goat named Nemo. He told us that some of his goats were killed by wild dogs that had crossed over on the ice in winter.

Why all the past tense talk around here? Did something happen to Steve?

I have spent many times down at the Goatyard. Xmas eve parties on the tug. Bonfires out at the point. Bike rides, fishing even playing hockey in the winter on the canal. Good times.

I really like the old brick factory that looms over the yard as well. Amongst all the vintage boats and variety of other relics, it really makes you think of the history of Detroit and what came before us.

Had the strangest experience when I met Stephen...the day after my brother-in-law's sister's wedding, a big Mariner's Church/Roostertail affair, centered around the Legel family. Their father was a sparkplug of a State Rep for a while in the seventies.

Walked into the Schoolbus of Rock, wide-eyed at all of the treasures abounding just on the drive IN, let alone what I'd seen since I parked...simply overwhelmed at the collection of stuff [[for those who saw my Eastern Market loftspace, you might even imagine I was a bit jealous, too!)...and when I met the enigma...

...and he found out I was in the home entertainment electronics business...he immediately began talking about HIS video experience.

Then promptly told me proudly that Rep. Legel was the man who gave HIM the idea to videotape all of the city council proceedings back in the day of Ravitz and Kelly and the OLD heavy-hitters who upped their antics in full battle against a younger Mayor Young.

I was pretty shocked...here comes this family name, and remembrances of a fellow I barely got to know...a day after I attended his youngest daughter's wedding...through my own brother-in-law, the guy's son.

Pretty amazing synergy...we were immediate friends. There are few like this guy around...he is a treasure. I'll see him soon, because a friend keeps his boat in the yard, and Lake St. Clair is drawing me to sail again.

Thanks for this, Lowell.

Detroit Blog's visit:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=867

Lowell......I love that place!! I've been sailing these coastal waters in Southern California for about fifteen years now, and I can tell you there is NOTHING like the Goat Yard anywhere on this coast. I'll be back in Detroit in June for the annual Gar Wood Reunion, and I'd really like to see that "Detroit Jewel" up close and personal. Thanks for the trailer.

Yeah, were exactly is this located?

Stromberg2

Roughly directly behind that old Farmer Jack location in the huge strip mall on Jefferson on yer way to the Pointes.

Drive around back until you see the pile, then drive straight into it...there should be a path!

If in doubt, wait for someone else to drive up and follow them in.

If you're in the wrong spot, they'll let you know. Just duck, run, and cover.

95 St. Jean on the river [[east side). Approximately across from the eastern tip of Belle Isle.

Thanks, guys!

Stromberg2