Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default L. Brooks Patterson was serious about not enforcing the smoking ban

Saturday night i went to my favorite pub and smoked. The bartender told me that the health inspector told him if he came in and saw someone smoking he would tell them to put out the cigarette but no ticket or fine. The bar can't supply ashtrays or matches. So i used an empty beer can instead.

Nice morals.

What does morals have to do with this?

Was the pub in Detroit?

There was smoking at two of my local bars last week. It was sort of like, "Does anybody in here object if I smoke?" And smoking ensued. Seems like the law means asking before breaking the law, which was fine with all present.

There were two people smoking where I watched the Wings game this weekend. I didn't say anything because that game really sucked, and they really needed those smokes.

Typical hypocritical politician. Enforce the laws that fit your political views and ignore those that don't. I wonder his stance on marijuana enforcement?

I don't mind people smoking around me as long as they don't exhale. I inhaled enough of my parents' cigarette smoke when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Was the pub in Detroit?
    Why would Patterson care if the bar was in Detroit?

Some group needs to stage a smoke-out in LBP's office.

When they are rounded up and sent packing...we'll capture fully the depth of this blowhard's hypocrisy.

If I am in an establishment that allows smoking, and does not have adequate air scrubbers...that will be my last time in the joint.

Was the pub in Detroit?
    It was in Pontiac.

Was the pub in Detroit?
    lol...

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

If I am in an establishment that allows smoking, and does not have adequate air scrubbers...that will be my last time in the joint.

That has been the argument this whole timne--don't like the smoke, find an establishment that has banned smoking. Vote with your dollars!!!

I was a in a couple of bars in detroit this past weekend that had no problem with patrons smoking.

Hell yeah!

What's Oakland County supposed to do, place an anti-smoking cop in every restaurant and bar? The restaurants and bars are the ones who are going to ultimately have to enforce this unless the state is willing to fund a larger gov't workforce.

I think the only things LBP is serious about are his drinking, ranting and railing. He always get re-elected, so who is he to worry about little things like enforcing the law? Unless, of course, it's DUI [[his), or a tax cut for his wealthy constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Why would Patterson care if the bar was in Detroit?

It was me wondering, I have no idea if LBP cares.

Thank you Pontiac.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    That has been the argument this whole timne--don't like the smoke, find an establishment that has banned smoking. Vote with your dollars!!!

I was a in a couple of bars in detroit this past weekend that had no problem with patrons smoking.

Hell yeah!

Maybe you just hang out in the wrong places?

In Ferndale, all of my usual haunts are more enjoyable now that they are smoke-free and I have not heard a single complaint. Even the places that were always super smokey were clean. Yes, there was a small group of smokers outside, but it all worked.

From my perspective, the law has been a success - regardless of what LBP may or may not do.

Wait till Detroit or these other suburbs realize that they can afford to hire smoking cops to go into resturants and write tickets to generate additional revenue.