Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ms Kilpatrick's re-election

She says she's running again, it was on the news tonight. I think it's time for a change. Not to mention, I don't like her son or her ex- husband. So what do the interested parties on here think ?

Cheeky ain't she?

She's going to win re-election easily. Who is running against her? Who's viable? Her opponents' best shot was back in 2008 and they blew it.

There was rumor last time she ran that she paid someone to run against her as a 3rd party to take away votes from the republician opponent.

The only thing that she has got to worry about is that part of her district I believe is in the Grosse Pointes.

I think there is a good chance she can loose this time around for several reasons...

#1 People hate her son more than ever now over what he has done to the City of Detroit, and would vote agenst her because of him.

#2 The last election was a big for the democrats. Alot of the people who are fedup with Obama, are electing republicans. Not to mention that Grosse Pointe is mostly republican anyways.

#3 There may not be a 3rd party canidate running this time like last time.

I know State Senator Hanson Clarke is running against her I would think he has a good chance to win. Clarke is fairly well known in city and liked, but some other guy is also running. This minister of big church a Rev. Plummer is also running for that seat, I personally never heard of him. I wonder if this is the person being paid to split the vote?

Bearinabox Guest

Claude, that seat is never in a million years going to go Republican.

As long as she has the 5 sn---villes and rest of downriver alliances on her side Carlita Kilpatrick will win the election easily.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Politics in Metro-Detroit Area answers from happy talk mafioso-esque families who like to show horse themselves and look glamorous on T.V.

In Memoriam: Neda Agha-Soltan

I expect Gary Brown could eventually run against her. Wouldn't that be the ultimate bitch-slap to the Kilpatrick family and a great way to get his revenge for KK firing him.

Uh, Danny, the candidate is Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpartick, Kwamee-Mommy, not Carlita Kilpartrick, Kwamee-"wife".

Hanson Clarke's got a decent reputation in the city and I'm hopeful that he can knock Cheeks down.

In the last election, it was the inclusion of a 3rd candidate in the Democratic primary that determined the election because any Democrat who takes the primary gets the seat in that district. I don't remember who the other opposition in the primary was but one was good old Mary Waters, friend of Sam. And that primary election was extremely close.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Uh, Danny, the candidate is Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpartick, Kwamee-Mommy, not Carlita Kilpartrick, Kwamee-"wife".

Hanson Clarke's got a decent reputation in the city and I'm hopeful that he can knock Cheeks down.

In the last election, it was the inclusion of a 3rd candidate in the Democratic primary that determined the election because any Democrat who takes the primary gets the seat in that district. I don't remember who the other opposition in the primary was but one was good old Mary Waters, friend of Sam. And that primary election was extremely close.
    The other candidate was Martha Scott; hard to say who was the stalking horse - might have been both. I would suspect that the good Rev. Plummer is the stooge this time around. Just what we need - Another "pulpit pimp" - Whatever happened to the separation of Church and State?

I wonder if the Freep will endorse Mamma again? I bet they do

Buy American Guest

With two running against her [[State Sen Hansen Clarke, D-Detroit, and the Rev. Glenn Plummer, a Detroit Democrat), she will more than likely win again; just like she did in the last election. If just Clarke was running, he'd win overwhelmingly, imo.

A video testimonial, in part from Senator Stabenow, was shown before the announcement.

Is the good reverend a spoiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    As long as she has the 5 sn---villes and rest of downriver alliances on her side Carlita Kilpatrick will win the election easily.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Politics in Metro-Detroit Area answers from happy talk mafioso-esque families who like to show horse themselves and look glamorous on T.V.

In Memoriam: Neda Agha-Soltan
    This Downriver resident will NOT be voting for her.

People who aren't from this part of the city, and therefore seem to know her mostly as Kwame's mother, seem to not understand that Carolyn Cheeks has had a lengthy political career on the east side. She has deep roots here, since she comes from the long-time locally politically influential Cheeks family, that have nothing to do with either Kwame or her ex-husband. She is well-connected in Lansing and in the state Democratic party, as well as in Washington, and has a large political organization that pre-dates her son's political career by quite a bit. Remember, Kwame rode into politics on her coattails, not the other way around.

Hansen Clarke is smart, a damn good campaigner, and he's been in local politics long enough now to know how the game is played and to have a significant core of support. So perhaps he has a good chance to knock her off in the primary. But don't be surprised if Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick wins again, and don't think that it is necessarily some sort of statement on the foibles of her son.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-10-10 at 07:06 PM.

Is there anything we can do to campaign for Hansen? I don't live in that district so I can't vote for him but I'd do other things to get him elected. I think he's a very decent politician and it is time for a change.

Eastside Al,

I appreciate all that, but Cheeks wouldn't be anything if the McNamara cartel hadn't backed her...the corruption still reigns, and it must be flushed out.

All of our troubles stem from the Thug's trashing of the system over forty years.

Cheeks and Kilpatricks are merely their minions.

It would be good for her to go stay with her son down in good, ol' Texas...help Carlita with them little big-heads. I understand the slugger is still busy practicing her swing in the on-deck circle always within Kwhyme's gaze.

Enough of this stuff...time for real change. Positive change. Hansen Clarke seems the upright person for this job.

Cheers

Enough of this stuff...time for real change. Positive change. Hansen Clarke seems the upright person for this job. Cheers

Cheers to that. My vote is with Clarke. He shows up to every other one of our neighborhood meetings, has a solid reputation for focusing on issues that REALLY affect a Detroit city dweller, and opponents have an impossible job finding any personal OR professional dirt on him. I only wish we had more politicians like him.

And guys think his wife is hot .

I'm not looking to support y'alls boy's mama. But can anyone tell me what Hansen Clarke has ever actually accomplished other than getting elected to office?

kraig,

Your question goes straight to the heart of our representative democracy system...Clarke is a facilitator and real servant...not a headline grabber, at least after his hair giveaway. [[they never should've included the recipient, something that is done with NO other hair donors, as far as I know)

It DOESN'T MATTER right now what specific thing we can point to that qualifies him for buying YOUR vote...because that is exactly what you are asking for.

Those politicians who 'bring home the bacon' are the PROBLEM, not the solution. If that is their only focus, and apparently you seem to WANT it to be, then the system will forever be out-of-balance and ineffective.

Bring on Hansen Clarke...I may just have to go work for him somehow, lend a hand in getting out the word. From the moment I met him at one of our picnics, I knew there was more to this diminutive fellow than meets the eye. He is a good man with a servant's attitude, and yes we need MORE like him running the show..putting those like Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick and her spawn in jail for continuing and exacerbating a corrupt system.

Cheers...where's my espresso?!

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I'm not looking to support y'alls boy's mama. But can anyone tell me what Hansen Clarke has ever actually accomplished other than getting elected to office?
    Most of that is publicly available.

Here's his Senate voting record:
    http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...p?can_id=19913

Bills he has sponsored:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...ansen%20Clarke

Actions he highlights [[and so presumably considers most important) on his own website:
    http://www.senate.michigan.gov/clarke/press.php

22. Default

It will be tough to unseat her, but Hansen Clarke is very viable, squeaky clean from what I know and extremely personable. Meanwhile she is walking through a minefield. For instance should an indictment come down against her husband she would be extremely vulnerable.

Even if she survives 2010, 2012 will be the real challenge as Michigan will almost certainly lose another congressional seat. Redistricting will stretch her district further out into the burbs from the shrinking CofD and inner ring burbs. The legislature who will draw the lines is unlikely to be friendly to her.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Most of that is publicly available.

Here's his Senate voting record:
    http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...p?can_id=19913

Bills he has sponsored:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...ansen%20Clarke

Actions he highlights [[and so presumably considers most important) on his own website:
    http://www.senate.michigan.gov/clarke/press.php
    Thanks EastsideAl. You answered a practical question with a practical answer. Why Gannon's panties got all in a bunch just because I don't feel that any politician is entitled to a vote without being researched, I don't know.

bartock Guest

Another cheers here for your comments, Gannon.

The biggest challenge I see to getting CCK out of office is people getting out to vote. While people in my city of Harper Woods were bellyaching over CCK's survival in the primary they seemed to ignore that only I believe 18% of Harper Woods voters participated. I am apt to vote Republican, but I have, do, and will vote Democrat in any election and those of any party wanting CCK out need to vote in the primary election. No other party is going to win the general election for this seat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Another cheers here for your comments, Gannon.

The biggest challenge I see to getting CCK out of office is people getting out to vote. While people in my city of Harper Woods were bellyaching over CCK's survival in the primary they seemed to ignore that only I believe 18% of Harper Woods voters participated. I am apt to vote Republican, but I have, do, and will vote Democrat in any election and those of any party wanting CCK out need to vote in the primary election. No other party is going to win the general election for this seat anyway.

You raise a good point regarding voter turnout. The last time around, there were a lot of tight races on the republican side of the ballot. Which prevented a lot of republicans in the district from voting in the democratic primary. That might be the case this year as well. So, anyone that is supporting a candidate should make sure that they're supporting any voter participation efforts. After all, low turnout tends to favor the incumbents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast