Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Mista Alan Guest

Default Best Calamari in SE Mich?

Have been searching for a long time. found some decent stuff but not great. any rec's??

Giovanni's Ristorante. 330 S. Oakwood, SW Detroit. The best.

I hear Ruth Chris steak house in Troy is susposed to be good. I never tried it, as I go right for the steaks on the 500 Degree plates

Giovannis is quite good yes. But I would highly recommend the calamari at Jacoby's downtown on I think Brush St. about three blocks north of Jefferson. I personally like it more than anywhere else I have had calamari. And oh, the beer selection. mmmmm....

Union Street. From the menu: "Tender squid steak, julienne cut, milk marinated, dusted with seasoned flour, flash fried and finished with a lemon-wine burre blanc sauce , fresh basil, capers, red onion and Roma tomatoes." It's delicious.

Compari's on the Park in downtown Plymouth - 350 South Main Street.

Get it pan fried [[light breading). Absolutely fantastic.

Union Street makes a tasty calamari app, but I've been enjoying the one cooked up at El Barzon. You can actually see the little rounds and tentacles the way they do it, which may squick some out but I found very interesting.

Papa Vino's is pretty good too over on Haggerty Road just west of 6 mile.

Bucci's, Mack Avenue, Grosse Pointe Woods.

Vincente's Cuban Grill...the best I have evver had...anywere!

On the ice at Joe Louis Arena?

12. Default

Lilly's in Royal Oak makes a fine calamari.

Real Seafood in Ann Arbor has some good calimari.

me and my GF love the calamari at Sinbads on the River.

I've a friend who relocated to Florida some years ago.

Whenever he's in town, he has to get to Union Street for their calamari.

To me, it's all so much seafood bubblegum...but he seems to enjoy it.

Without a doubt - http://www.carieras.com/dearborn/ In Dearborn. They have the most amazing calamari I have ever had anywhere. I actually crave it.

I'll have to say BlackFinn in Royal Oak has the best Calamari I have had in a long, long time. What makes it special is they add lightly sautéed red peppers and jalapeños, tastes fantastic!

Just about everybody has a decent calamari appetizer these days, as evidenced by Jacoby’s. Old-style German Calamari? I’m sure it’s good.

I second Detroitnerd’s El Barzon suggestion. The fritto misto El Barzon is a huge plate of tender fried squid rings and tentacles with generous pickled hot peppers. You can always find a good wine to wash it down there too.

Cliff Bell’s does a nice one. I like that they cut it into larger portions for squid fingers, basically.

^ I'll have to try some of these. I usually save my calamari eating for trips to the coast, because I find it kind of rubbery here, but the Vincente's option sounds interesting... so does Union Street!