Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default "O" Street Blogger vandalizes new Bagley Bridge

If you haven't heard Mdot just openned the Bagley Street pedestrian bridge that is suppose to be a symbol of a united community and all that blah blah.

Turns out that folks have been tagging the shit out of the new bridge since the ribbon cutting on Cinco de Mayo; one of those folks is Oneita Jackson, the lady behind the "O"Street blog found on Freep.com.

The Detroit News has a video of Ms. Jackson using a felt pen to sign her name on the new bridge as well as an article that has a quote from Ms. Jackson admitting she was excited about the new bridge and was compelled to join all the other people who left their tags.

I read he blog post on occasion and admire her "putting it out there" style. She is a little preachy and certainly one who focuses on the smaller things in life and how each person can make a big difference by doing their part.

Her blog has focused on regular folks doing regular things, sort of Bob Talbert in dreds and a vagina. All good in my book.

So, here we have a blogger, who in her own edgy way urges folks to do the right thing, but she apparently feels it is fine to tag if you are excited about something.

If you look at the video, the thing that is interesting is how natural it seems. She has a felt pen at the ready and just John Hancocks the thing. She is just one of hundreds who likewise are so proud and excited they too are compelled to add their magic touch.

How sweet.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...dge-in-Detroit

Bearinabox Guest

I find this absolutely hilarious.

Lesson learned: Don't build pedestrian walkways within 5 miles of a high school.

LodgeDodger Guest

Oneita,

Shame on you!

I just went through some of her blogs and she seems to be very contradicting. She appears to be the same "self destructive Detroiter" that she writes about.

I hope the Free Press has the good sense to fire her immediately.

Ms. Jackson deserves all of the negative attention she'll garner for doing that. But let's drop the fiction that this is something done by bad people in Detroit. Visit any art museum or historic site or national park in this country and you'll see the collective markings and desecrations of visitors from all over the world who wanted to "leave their mark". Some people apparently don't think beyond their own self-interest and it's not just the people who tagged that bridge.

People could start a campaign against such behavior by not engaging in street slang and calling it what it is, vandalism.

Well, I think vandalism is still against the law. She is on tape and admits it. Should there not be a fine issued here? Possibly with community service time?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Well, I think vandalism is still against the law. She is on tape and admits it. Should there not be a fine issued here? Possibly with community service time?
    A week in the slammer for her works for me.

[QUOTE=texorama;144136]She has posted an apology.

http://freep.com/article/20100508/BL... /> apologize[/QUOT

Not to excuse her action but, I imagine, it was an impulse thing. Hopefully, her expression of shame is sincere.

wonder what she wrote? maybe "here I sat so lonely hearted, came to shit but only farted"......

[QUOTE=eno;144152]
    Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    She has posted an apology.

http://freep.com/article/20100508/BL... /> apologize[/QUOT

Not to excuse her action but, I imagine, it was an impulse thing. Hopefully, her expression of shame is sincere.
    I guess it was impulse, but ti sure seemed awfully natural. One has to wonder if she's done this before. Dunno about you guys but it's not something I do on impulse.

Unbelievable this bridge is already being attacked. I work on a lot of building projects where graffiti is a problem in Chicago and we are always conscious of this issue. Concrete or brick are coated to allow paint to wash off with a hose or rain over time, and I'd certainly consider making those benches out of a steel mesh of some sort. Certainly mdot was thinking of this right?

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Lesson learned: Don't build pedestrian walkways within 5 miles of a high school.
    I think you mean Detroit, not high school.

Michigan Guest

Isn't she the blogger who talks about how well she is raising her son? How she has taught him to do the right thing? She appears to be a Kilpatrick in Jackson clothing. Saying whatever gets the bucks, but doing whatever gets the yucks.

I cannot stand this woman's writings or articles. Not too crazy about her either after seeing her on Flashpoint. I have always wondered what the Freep saw in her to give her a job. But this video is hilarious. What are the odds? I love how the camera zoomed in on her scratching after she walked away! I've been excited about a lot of new structures but never felt the urge to write my name on them and deface them! I mean, seriously, what happened to taking a picture?

[quote=eno;144152]
    Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    She has posted an apology.

http://freep.com/article/20100508/BLOG19/100508007/1319/I-was-wrong-I-
    apologize
    [/QUOT

Yeah, that's it. Impulse. Everyone walks around with a Sharpie in their pocket.

LodgeDodger Guest

[quote=wash_man;144197]
    Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post

Yeah, that's it. Impulse. Everyone walks around with a Sharpie in their pocket.
    Now wait a sec. I admitted somewhere else today that I carry a Sharpie in my purse. I carry a highlighter, too, but I don't go around highlighting all text I see.

Well the Detroit News sure had some fun with it on their site. The comments were incredible..... what a mess. Poor choice decision Oneida. My parents were sticklers about not throwing paper on the ground, not being a litter bug... I guess all of that is old fashion thinking now.
    quote=eastland;144121]I hope the Free Press has the good sense to fire her immediately.[/quote]

LOL! I often have on too... as an artist and what not. Well, I guess I best leave it at home lest I be tempted. Not![quote=LodgeDodger;144198]
    Quote Originally Posted by wash_man View Post

Now wait a sec. I admitted somewhere else today that I carry a Sharpie in my purse. I carry a highlighter, too, but I don't go around highlighting all text I see.

That would be in the line of Kwame K. thinking and behaviors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Isn't she the blogger who talks about how well she is raising her son? How she has taught him to do the right thing? She appears to be a Kilpatrick in Jackson clothing. Saying whatever gets the bucks, but doing whatever gets the yucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post

Shoot, I'm lucky to even have a pen on me walking around, and I'm architect. Carrying sharpie..... Why??

Not shocked by the vandalism, after all, it's Detroit. I do commend her for owning up to it, apologizing and writing about how stupid she is. That's something more people need to do. Make a mistake, own up to it and hopefully learn a lesson. Too bad Kwame won't be like her.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast