Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remembering Towne Club Pop

One of my favorite memories as a kid was going to the Towne Club store with my Mom. Pop was a treat for us, and choosing from the myriad colored bottles to complete a case was one of those pleasant dilemnas! I know the Towne Club label is still available, but the loss of the retail stores meant that they were just another brand of pop.

Do a board search.

LodgeDodger Guest

Yep, Pop used to take me to the Towne Club store! It was quite the dilemma, choosing which flavors to take home! I remember going there a couple of days before my First Communion party.

We weren't allow to drink pop on a daily basis when we were kids. It was only for a treat.

we used to get the diet cola...

it tasted WORSE than cough syrup...

i wasnt really a pop drinker and i didnt then [[or now either!) care for the flavored drinks so much. although i have become partial to Stewarts Creme Soda and an occasional grape soda...

we would get a case about once every 6-8 weeks. thats how often we drank pop...

How about Sweet Sixteen pop?? They had lots of flavors too

they have Towne Club at Happy Cream on Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    they have Towne Club at Happy Cream on Monroe
    mmmmmm.... Happy Cream.

Now I'm hungry.....

Never been a fan of Towne Club.

One good thing about Town Club.....it was better than Grilli's. That stuff was crape.

Towne Club pops all have pictures of various Detroit buildings and landmarks on the labels! I love that and I am a BIG fan of Towne Club!

I remember the high sugar, or corn serup, content. One bottle of their "red pop" could keep a kid hyper all day!

Were there several stores? I seem to have a memory of going to a Towne Club depot on the west side. We bought the big bottles and filled woooden bottle carrier. But i can't remeber where it was.

five mile and middlebelt was the one i remember. some green pop called frosh? unless that was a faygo flavor

As a single dad, money was scarce. My children and I would manage a trip to Towne Club, every month or so. First, take newspapers to the recycling place, then blow the stipend we received at Towne Club. Sometimes, dad got a "GIQ"...

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    five mile and middlebelt was the one i remember. some green pop called frosh? unless that was a faygo flavor

The Towne Club stores were fun, but I really miss Atlas. Going right to the factory where they made it was a real treat. Loaded up on the Bull Dog Ginger Beer.

Okay, now i think we went to the Atlas Store. Was that on Vernor Highway?

On special occasions [[dinner parties, like at Xmas and Easter) we were allowed to drink pop. Since the guests included other kids we were each allowed to pick a Faygo product from the wooden 12-pack case my parents kept in the basement. Frosh was my fav flavor, but it was a big deal that we'd each pick something, and mix them all together. Frosh and orange made one nasty brown color but it sure tasted good!

Towne Club still exists??

Towne Club was terrible....

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Okay, now i think we went to the Atlas Store. Was that on Vernor Highway?
    Atlas factory was on Conant in Hamtramck. They never had any stores, but you could buy right from the factory. They had Brownie Root Beer and Bull Dog Ginger Beer, my two favs, and many other flavors. They had small delivery trucks that used to make deliveries to stores and bars. A lot of banquet halls used their mixers.

We always bought Faygo. I remember Towne Club tasting like sugar water with a weird chemical aftertaste. Pretty bad.

Faygo was always pretty cheaply priced, but Towne Club was bargain-surplus stuff.

They did make Towne Club in lots of colors, though.

Wikipedia's Towne Club Article

There's a link to a Towne Club web site there but it wasn't responding very well to me.

Default Pop as a treat

Although the term "pop" has long since left my vocabulary being a transplanted Detroiter by a few decades, I am constantly reminding my kids that when I grew up we only had soda as a treat and it came in a wooden crate with a verity of local flavors. Great memories of my father taking my brother and sister up to the Towne club outlet picking out our favorite flavors!

Towne club was awesome ... yummy root beer and cream soda ... I think there was a store in Berkley ...on Coolidge maybe?

We never got Towne Club. I remember the commercials on television, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsk-NnkI3FQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_rbpfo-A0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast