Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Have a Catch at the Corner for Ernie!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119641591398961

Date: Monday, May 10, 2010
    Time: 5:30pm - 6:30pm
    Location: Where else? Michigan and Trumbull, where Ernie's favorite ball park once stood.

Ernie Harwell has left us, but he will never be forgotten. What better way to honor the man who brought so much joy into our homes and hearts over the years, then to have a catch in his honor at the site of his favorite stadium- the stadium he tried so hard to preserve.

Bring your glove, your baseball, and a friend- then have a catch with us! After our catch, you can head over to Comerica Park where they will honor Ernie before the game against the New York Yankees. If you can't make it to the game, you always watch it [[and the pre game ceremony) at nearby bars like Nemo's, Casey's, and Corktown Tavern.

Saw about 25 people out there playing on that hallowed field. Brought a big smile to my face.

I know in Field of Dreams that they used the phrase "have a catch" but I didn't think that people from Detroit used that phrase. Do they?

So Saturday I went to the Corner, and the gate is open. So we might even have a catch ON THE FIELD at Tiger Stadium.

Too bad the city couldn't have seen what we all saw in Tiger Stadium. They sure were in a hurry to tear it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Too bad the city couldn't have seen what we all saw in Tiger Stadium. They sure were in a hurry to tear it down.
    You must be joking...the place stood empty for 8 years! I loved the place as much as anyone, but enough is enough. It was not a building like the Book Cadillac or other standard building that was suitable for reuse. In Detroit we can't rehab our regular buildings, do you really think we could have reused a unique structure like an empty stadium?

Touche. The structure was not a suitable re-use but at least the field can be maintained, including the diamond what would it cost to cut the grass once in a while? It's not that there are any building plans in the near future, are there? As a non-Detroiter I never knew him or what he meant to you, but is it too l.ate to create an Ernie Harwell memorial park there?

What you should do is make your own sign for that park with that text and create a buz.
    My father was quite pleased that we named our playing ground after him. He was an instrumental force in the creation of that park, so as sort of a cheeky joke we named that ground after him. He's still around if you wonder.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-10-10 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSTAR View Post
    You must be joking...the place stood empty for 8 years! I loved the place as much as anyone, but enough is enough. It was not a building like the Book Cadillac or other standard building that was suitable for reuse. In Detroit we can't rehab our regular buildings, do you really think we could have reused a unique structure like an empty stadium?
    Too bad the Tigers couldn't have seen what we all saw in Tiger Stadium and remodeled the place and stayed where they belong.

Oh, and I never "had a catch" in my life. In Detroit we just plain "played catch"

You're kidding right? A deteriorating structure stood there while the team still played in it. The stadium was only still great becasue of its memories. One problem with this city is that it takes too long to tear things down, including the stadium. 8 years vacant. 8 years too long. I loved that place, but Comerica Park is just as awesome and in 50 years people will have the same memories of it.

How can you have the same memories as at Tiger Stadium when you need binoculars to see the players from your seats?
    The seats in the front row of the upper deck were almost as close as in the lower deck at Tiger Stadium. Now, they are almost twenty rows back in the upper deck.
    Too bad they couldn't create a museum and ball park at Michigan and Trumbull.

Ernie Harwell memorial park there?
    Great idea! There must be funds from the Save Tiger stadium foundation. Or whatever the group was working on it.
    How do we contact them?
    Are they on this forum?

No fence needed just maintain the diamond.
    Stop in for a catch, when the mood strikes.
    Some Entrepreneur could probably make it a tourist attraction.

His New York Yankees equivalent also died this month.

Seems a bad year for sports announcers. A month ago Chicago White Sox' Lou Brown also died...
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-27-10 at 09:14 AM.