Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tensions high in fallout over students wearing American flag T-shirts on Cinco Mayo

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...inco-de-mayo/1

[[watch the video)

I think this issue has gone way too far. On the one hand, these kids probably only wore the American flag T-shirt to get a rise out of the Hispanic students. On the otherhand, this is America and the American flag represents all citizens. This country has been heavily influenced by Latin culture and the display of the flag is not an act of excluding Hispanics. I think too much was made of the fact these kids wore American flag T-shirts.

What do you think?

that fiasco is the height of stupidity

One thing folks on the right and left fail to acknowledge is the the elephant in the room, on the immigration debate.

A large majority of Latinos are of the Catholic Faith, and most of the staunchest right wingers are Protestants. Listen closely, and you'll hear the same arguments that were used at the turn of the 19th Century, that these people are "not of our values". The only difference is, unlike previous Catholic's, these people are easier to spot.

Conversely, many on the left are either, agnostic or staunch atheists who hate anything remotely religious that it clouds their thinking and they ignore the main cause of the right wing fury.

Nobody seems to worry that the Jews will be upset by all the Xmas activities in December in schools. I wonder what other measures that principal has taken to prevent violence in his school.

A neighboring HS in the same town had students wear both Mexican and American flags and had no problems. So the question remains....are you American or are you Mexican? Choose one.

Michigan Guest

Who cares what day it is in Mexico. Go the f000 back if you love it so much. But most of all who is the idiot of a principal that he would ever do something like this, oh wait, his name is Rodriguez, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Nobody seems to worry that the Jews will be upset by all the Xmas activities in December in schools. I wonder what other measures that principal has taken to prevent violence in his school.
    With your contempt for religion on the Non-Detroit Issues Forum... it seems rather ironic that you should worry about that one....

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    So the question remains....are you American or are you Mexican? Choose one.
    I see no contradiction in identifying with more than one nation or culture.

If a studnet wears and american shirt to show pride that our country is great and has welcomed many to it's shores great...if the only time they wear it is to provoke intolerance ...then shame on them...for that is not what America should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    If a studnet wears and american shirt to show pride that our country is great and has welcomed many to it's shores great...if the only time they wear it is to provoke intolerance ...then shame on them...for that is not what America should be.
    Do you believe that they were trying to "invoke intolerance" or do you believe what they said ,which was that they were just showing pride for their country? If you don't believe them, do you have any proof that they were lying? Is it a problem to you for an American to show pride in his country? I hope you are not among the group of people that feels that the U.S. is the reason for every bad thing that happens on this planet. If you are then you certainly on the correct message board as you will find much acceptance with that stance here.

I find it laughable that this is even on the national news as the battle that took place on May 5, 1874 [[don't hold me to the year) in a small town in Mexico, I believe it was Pueblo and it is the only town in Mexico to celebrate the victory over the French. It is strictly a celebration in the United States for those that just need another reason to drink and raise hell. While I have no problem with Cinco De Mayo and the promotion of it on the national and local news I would like to ask two questions.

How many of you on this board celebrated Cinco De Mayo? Good for you. No problem. I hope you had a good time.

How many of you on this board celebrated today?

Oh, you don't know what today is? You heard or saw nothing on the news?

Happy V E Day. This is the day when the "Greatest Generation" defeated the Nazis in Europe. You remember don't you? They called it the Second World War.

Not one word on the news and not one word on this board.

Happy belated Cinco De Mayo!

There are a few on this board who would never want to celebrate VE Day. After all, it marks the day that their fellow fascists were defeated by a bunch of red pinko left wing nut commies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    With your contempt for religion on the Non-Detroit Issues Forum... it seems rather ironic that you should worry about that one....
    Well, don't get your knickers in a knot trying to turn me into a minion of Satan in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I see no contradiction in identifying with more than one nation or culture.
    Except when you have to choose between the best interests of either nation. We have a number of people in the U.S. with conflicting loyalties.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    But now you're trying to read someone's mind. The kids may have worn the flag shirts to assert that this is the U.S. and not Mexico. Whether it incites violence would be the fault of the violent people. The shirts didn't say anything negative about Mexico . I'm tired of people trying to sidestep responsibility for their own violence by yelling, "Look what you made me do!" This principal's actions makes me wonder what else is going on in his school. How much fighting is being ignored. If there are tensions that need to be addressed, then address them. Have programs that get kids of different backgrounds to work together. It reminds me of the discussion about the cartoons of Mohammed. Or the flap over an episode of "South Park". Should we curtail our freedom of expression because we might incite thugs to violence?
    Last edited by maxx; May-09-10 at 07:14 AM.

I heard someone say they were sick of the Irish invading New York and flying their orange or green flags during St Patrick's Day. He said he was going to post some signs "Irish Need Not Apply" to make sure they stopped trying to steal American jobs. He also said that if they aren't 100% American that they should go back to where they came from, and then something else about speaking American English.

Last I saw him, he was wearing an American flag shirt during St Patrick's Day celebrations and telling the Irish that this is the US and not Ireland.

I thought he was pretty much a dick.

Bearinabox Guest

Except when you have to choose between the best interests of either nation. We have a number of people in the U.S. with conflicting loyalties.
    ...which is absolutely none of your business. If someone breaks the law, then penalize them, but otherwise people can think what they want.

Quote: "If someone breaks the law, then penalize them, but otherwise people can think what they want."

Right on.. I may not agree with what someone says, but I'll fight right beside them for their right to say it.,

I saw that the conservative news channel. It's amazing that those students are wearting American Flag tea shirts just to execize their 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH' as American citizen in which other folks say its a THOUGHTCRIME. This event is also a protest against immigration reform.

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET

If Neda Agha Soltan was alive, she would join the protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    There are a few on this board who would never want to celebrate VE Day. After all, it marks the day that their fellow fascists were defeated by a bunch of red pinko left wing nut commies.

the vast majority of people who use the term "fascist" - on this board, tea parties, glenn beck, etc - have no clue what it means

From thefreedictionary.com

Facist

often Fascisma. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
    b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.

2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

When folks like yourself and maxx advocate the suppression of free speech and expression, you are in fact endorsing "fascism".

WELL At Least They Didn't Wear This One.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    When folks like yourself and maxx advocate the suppression of free speech and expression, you are in fact endorsing "fascism".
    Isn't that what Hitler said after the failed Beer Hall Putsch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    From thefreedictionary.com

Facist

often Fascisma. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
    b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.

2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

When did I advocate the suppression of free speech??

When did I advocate the suppression of free speech??
    Does you advocating against freedom of religion count?

Quote: "When did I advocate the suppression of free speech?? "

Are you my ex-wife?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast